US$90
US$59
  • Pool
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$76/night.

US$65
  • Pool
US$63
US$46
Hotels.com
Sigiri Queens Rest Guest House(Sigiriya)(Great Value!)
US$13
Hotels.com
US$438
US$401
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 January 2015

Where to even begin.....

This place is absolutely awful. Forget what you've read in Lonely Planet. I booked based on their review and didn't check Trip Advisor. Big Mistake.

There is no internet. The water is brown. The rooms are dirty. The toilet was broken. They're located in a swamp and don't provide mosquito nets. They're overpriced. The staff do not speak English. Need I go on? It should be said...I'm a hardy traveller and not interested in luxury. So when I say a place is a bit dismal, it is.

After realizing all of this when I arrived and after reading several reviews that spoke of theft and deceit, I decided not to stay at the Ancient Villa. I told the staff I was leaving and they put me on the phone with the manager. I had wanted to speak to him that morning, but he wasn't there and told me he'd be there in the afternoon. He wasn't. So we spoke on the phone and I told him I was leaving. He told me I had to pay the cost of the room. I told him no way. We argued back and forth.

I'll cut a long story short. He basically admitted to me that the place sucks, admitted that they don't keep it up and that the information online is a lie. And then he basically threatened to lock me in and call the police, which he started to do. He pulled in on his motorcycle, yelled in my face, threatened me and insulted me. Now, mind you, this all happened on election day during a highly contested election when troops were deployed in the country and a coup was possible. So I doubt the police were interested in bickering with him and arresting two Americans over 2000 rupees. However, I can't say I love being locked in anywhere and threatened with incarceration.

I told him I'd write a terrible review and that he should care about what people like me have to say about his place. I explained that I was leaving because of reviews I'd read. He laughed in my face and told me, "It doesn't matter. We'll change the name. I don't care."

So....ya. Not a nice guy overall. I didn't get arrested. I also didn't pay him. But I'm a bit of a hot head I guess. Don't stay here. That's the point of this story.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emily P
Reviewed 21 January 2015

Booked this place because it was close to Sigiriya. The cottages were quite cute and we enjoyed sitting outside on the balcony. However, there was no WiFi as listed.

The room itself was quite spacious and big and the we thought the beds were comfy, although it felt like it was a bit sticky. There was no hot water, only cold water. We found a small gecko and frog in the bath room although I didn't quite mind it cos it felt like I was living in a Sri Lankan jungle. The bathroom has a nice urban feel to it and it's one of the nicer ones we've seen so far in Sri Lanka.

The owners were nice and offered us welcome drinks. However, during our whole stay, I felt like he was trying to find every opportunity to rip us off. He offered us a tuk tuk ride using the hotel's tuk tuk for 400LKR (which is OK price for a short distance to Sigirya), he picked up his brother on the way, who so happens to be a tour guide and tried to talk us into using him as a guide. Not cool.

Later on into the night as we were about to head out for dinner, they offered to make us dinner for a price. The dishes were about 600 LKR for a chicken noodle, which I found hair in. Food wasn't great and is quite expensive compared to what places were offering (200-300LKR).

OK to stay for a night but it gets hot without an AC. AC comes at an extra price for $5USD.

Room Tip: AC is $5USD extra.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2014 via mobile

The bungalows were under renovation when we stayed in Ancient Villa, so ours had some plusses and minusses. A plus was the new roof, with branch like beam structure. Minusses were the lack of a roof on the in-room bathroom and some strange wiring of the lighting, as a result of which we had to turn of the power to be able to turn off all the lights. Also, the matrasses were on the thin side. The staff went out of their way though, to get extra matrasses, and mosquito nets and extra sheets. We opted for dinner at the resort and were served a tasty assortiment of Sri Lankan specialties, with a short explanation about each by the staff. Basically the staff really made our stay enjoyable, as did the great food. Hopefully the rooms will also be a tad better once renovation is concluded.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2014

After arriving at ancient villa to find our rooms flooded I asked the managed why this was the case, his response was "because it is raining". Following this and after finding frogs and crabs in the bathroom we decided that we did not want to stay here for a second night. We approached the manager and asked if we could get our second night refunded, he said yes no problem you will not be charged. Upon returning home I found that the extra night had been debited from my account. I called the hotel to ask why this is the case, the response I received was along the lines of "too bad, not much you can do"
p.s. the water was cold and brown.

Room Tip: better off staying somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank andrewlloydbrown
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Ancient Villa is a great place. quiet, relaxing. The guys there have good advice in regards to activities and when the best time to do them are. The staff are all very friendly and happy to help in any way.
Food is really yum and so is the welcome drink.
We had a small double bed room with bathroom/toilet. We has a nice veranda out the front and the back. Mosquito net was provided and the beds are nice (hard, but thats how I like it).

Defiantly a place I would go to again, perfect for a mid holiday chill, do nothing read a book and enjoy the sun and the surroundings.

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms/villas available, some of them a free standing, ours was attached to another (that was under renovation at the time).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends