“Good night's sleep.”
Review of Hotel Olas

Hotel Olas
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Everything worked, lots of hot water, a/c could give you icicles it worked so well, good beds and quiet at night. Staff were helpful, friendly and just kind to everyone...they made my stay great. Breakfast was exceptional and a must.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We reserved a suite for the weekend but when we showed up, they said the suite was no longer available. The lady asked us to follow-up the next day but because we asked too late in the following date, they gave the suite to someone else. First come first serve? There was no note of this during our reservation process! Argh :(

With that said, the staff is friendly and our room was clean enough and tidy. Cleanliness is A- but the free breakfast and seaside location made for a reasonable experience.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2017

The hotel is a lovely hotel, and the rooms are spacious, bathroom has a decent shower.

There are hammocks to relax on (only 2) in the dining / bar area right over the water so if lucky enough to get into one enjoy the views!

The hotel offers a great onsite laundry service - fill a bag to the top and its only $10 per wash - bargain!

The only thing i would say about the hotel is it's location - fine if you want to get to the hotel from the airport quickly you can technically walk to it from the airport it's that close, BUT and this is the issue especially for single travelers or females - at night a corner close to the hotel is rife with guys trying to sell drugs - they seemed harmless but that was only because we were escorted home by a friend, i don't want to think what hassle we may have got if we walked home two girls alone after 10pm. Even our friend said he walked a different way back to his hotel so as not to encounter the sellers.

Room Tip: Good rooms upstairs and spacious
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed for 6 days at Hotel Olas and was happy with my stay. I was in room 15, a suite with the street view and it was simple but comfortable, and clean. The TV with satellite worked fine and was a large flatscreen. The AC worked very well. Too well in fact, I had to turn it off or raise the temperature at night. The furnishings were basic but it was exactly what I expected in this area and it felt fine to me. More importantly, there was a comfortable and clean bed, a fridge, and hot water. Although I do understand previous reviewers' concerns about the shower head with wires coming out of it...that needs to get upgraded.

There is free breakfast in the morning and it was fine. I think the days I went early were the busiest times but I got my meals quickly most days except the morning it was packed but hey I'm on vacation! I can wait a few minutes overlooking the water and checking emails.

It is not right in town but a comfortable 3 or 4 blocks walk. Although I felt it was quiet in the evenings, the neighbors nearby, the music, all of it is a part of the experience being here in Panama. Go out, meet new people. I met interesting and friendly people on my walks as a solo traveler and found everyone to be respectful.

Last, I want to commend the professionalism and helpfulness of Danny, the manager/owner (?) of the hotel. From immediate responses via email before arriving to help with tours and recommendations in town, to accommodating an extremely early check out, he made sure my needs were taken care of but is also just a very nice person.

Thank you Danny and the staff at Hotel Olas!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Bocas in general seems to have lower standards than in the rest of Panama. Probably because there are tourists all year round. We gave Olas a chance as it was less expensive than hotels on the Main Street. The room on the top floor was not dirty but didn't look (and smell) clean. While brushing our teeth, my girlfriend saw a bug on the bed and found another one in the bed frame. We told the receptionist and he gave us a bigger and better room downstairs where, according to him, had never been bedbugs before. We cancelled the rest of the stay and got our money back for it. The guy didn't seem too impressed though. Judging from his reaction we don't think the hotel takes the bug problems seriously. So we say avoid!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Danny S, Manager at Hotel Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Hello, I am the guy and manager of the hotel who took care of this issue for you immediately. We do care for our guests and of course it is not acceptable for you to find bedbugs in the place where you're gonna sleep. So to give you better comfort and peace of mind not only I gave you a suite in another floor but also gave you a refund as you mentioned. Taking care of the problem and guests is my priority and I think I addressed it in the most beneficial way for you to be happy with the outcome and therefore don't think it is fair to judge my reaction and say I didn't take this problem seriously. Your partner seemed more understanding and happy with the room I provided. We clean the rooms daily with appropriate products and also fumigate monthly to prevent cases like this. However, during high season busy periods many travelers come and go and sometimes they bring bedbugs with them in their backpacks from their other trips in hostels etc. So it is likely that this was the case as you only found one single bedbug in the room and a couple had checked out from that room after spending 3 nights with no problems. After your check out we looked further carefully and found no new bedbugs and still fumigated that room just in case. Rest assured we are taking care of problems seriously in the hotel, so enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks for your feedback! :)