“Beautiful”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Our three nights in the Palace Wing were a treat. We were upgraded from the Tower Wing, which was a real bonus as the two wings are nearly run as two separate hotels - separate breakfast areas, separate lobbies, lounge for Palace guests only.
Our room was luxe, with a marble bathroom and dressing area. However the the highlight was the corridor outside - beautiful, with a variety of contemporary art. I am sure the hotel was full, but we rarely saw anyone else. Breakfast in the Sea Lounge was good, with plenty of choice if slightly patchy service. And a view over the Gateway to India.
For us there were two highlights to the stay - the free tour of the hotel with a highly enthusiastic ( if slightly know-it-all ) guide and afternoon tea in Palace Lounge.
All in all an experience that I am unlikely to ever forget.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank traveltimeCanberra
There are newer reviews for The Taj Mahal Palace

Reviewed 4 March 2012

When my taxi pulled up to the Taj Mahal Palace I thought I was in a movie. This is such an iconic property and it met every expectation, especially its stunning historic wing. As to be expected from such a distinguished property, the level of service and every detail of the hotel was of very high quality. This is a very grand and impressive hotel and the care and detail of staff was impressive and appreciated. I arrived in the middle of the night on a delayed flight from Dubai and I was welcomed very warmly upon arrival and shown to my rather stunning room in the more modern tower wing. This is a luxurious hotel of the highest order, so expect every amenity and service to be first class. There seems to be a great deal of pride associated with this hotel, and I felt special just being a guest. I stayed before the terrible bombings and it broke my heart to see the footage and learn of the tragedy that befell such a gracious and unique property. I am delighted that the Taj Mahal Palace is back and better than ever. I would love to return to India some day and staying at this incredible hotel will be on my list.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sgkca
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I will admit that we did not stay at the Taj as we only had one night in Mumbai & had pre booked another hotel which was more the pity. However, we did enter the hotel and right from the start - the doorman, receptionists were friendly, helpful and welcoming. They made us feel at home, despite the fact that we were not house guests. We explained that we really wanted to dine in the hotel and we were led to the dining area of our choice. We were attended to immediately and were obviously made to feel valued. We took our time, enjoyed the fine food and the service , sat back and enjoyed the ambience. Later, we used the amenities and were invited to tour the hotel. We took many photos which will refreh my memory in the years to come - of a magical experience. I loved it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aussie-lynne
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Service was prompt but the rooms in the new wing were cramped for space. Being Taj they were prompt and treated us with great respect. The place is really neat and the ambience is really nice and quite , inspite of it being in the heart of Mumbai.The location is great. Breakfast is,as with all Taj hotels I think, fantastic.

Room Tip: Stay in old wing if you get a chance!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank shammu_b
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I waited 3 years to get the chance to stay here. When in Mumbai I often went to the Taj for lunch and always looked longingly at the pool area and wanted to be allowed out there one day. The only problem was that when I finally did get there (at about 1100 hours) I had to wait 45 mins to get a pool lounge. Make sure you get there early. I also could not book a Palace room due to a conference taking all available rooms, so I was somewhat disappointed with my 11th Floor Tower Room. The view over the Gateway of India and the concert in front of it was superb. The King size bed after a week in a Goa beach hut was sublime. The room was however small in comparison to The Intercontinental Marine Drive and the Taj lands End the bathroom was smaller than some 3 star hotels I have stayed in. But when at the Taj you are not going to spending a great deal of time in your room - with all the shops to look at,, restaurants to eat in, people watching to do and most of all just sitting back and taking in the marvellous architecture and history of this "must do once in a lifetime" hotel. The service was impeccable , as one would expect and I particularly liked coming back to my room to see what inventive touches the cleaner had done with the towells, washers, my toiletries and clothes. One day all my freshly ironed clothes has been folded back up and colour co-ordinated. Even the dirty underwear had been similarly treated. He earnt a good tip for that one. Do not go to Mumbai without at least a couple of nights here - when a Palace room is available.

Room Tip: Palace Room with seaview - the higher the better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo