“Neat new rooms”

Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
Ranked #16 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed here overnight for a business meeting. The room was newly renovated and well laid out and thought out. The lighting is all touch control and works well. The bathroom is neat and clean and has great functionality.
The bathroom lighting however is not adequately thought out for having a decent shave.

Overall a good business hotel room. Did not try out the restaurant or other facilities.
Service standards are good and Dinesh at check out was quite courteous and knowledgeable of the new GST forms needed by companies to claim back input taxes.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Nishanthvishwanath, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a hotel, we always strive to give a guest the utmost stay satisfaction and we have achieved that through you. Thank you for choosing us for your stay.

Please do let us know if we could be of any assistance to you now or in the future. Looking forward to welcoming you back here.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Stayed in hotel for a night on my trip in chennai, decent hotel good room comfy bed. Good spread at breakfast. Helpful staff, Courteous people

On negative side some metro work on just outside the hotel, view from room was not great, in room dinning was ok - wish spaghetti was a bit more softer, and yes some good toiletries, they can do better.

No complains actually hope they improve upon.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Nishanthvishwanath, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are glad that you had an overall pleasant stay at our hotel and were happy with the rooms, service and breakfast buffet. However, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the metro construction work going on outside the premise. Your feedback has been noted and rest assured that the same has been taken up by the respective department heads to ensure a flawless guest experience.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

I was enroute to Pondicherry and decided to a short stopover at Courtyard Mariott..hotel staff was very good..had dinner buffet and breakfast which can be at best described as average.
Also there was construction happening at the property and one could hear noise with adjacent rooms..I could feel dampness/sogginess in the room allotted to me..since I was staying just for a day I didn't ask for a room change

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations during your stay. As we strive to deliver an impeccable guest experience, we seem to have unfortunately fallen short of this goal during your stay.

We have noted your concerns; rest assured that the same has been taken up by the respective department heads to ensure this does not happen again. Please do let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with now or in the near future.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I stayed at this Courtyard location for a long stay, a total of 6 nights, while I was visiting Chennai to attend a friend's wedding. Although the hotel looks very upscale for a Courtyard hotel, the service and comfort level was either touch-and-go.

I'm very loyal to the Marriott chains and have achieved Silver Elite status, so I'm somewhat spoiled by all the perks I normally enjoy. When I arrived at this location, the only benefit I received was free wifi in my room which is standard. Here are the rest of the highlights and lowlights:

1) I requested a king-size bed on my reservation, but they gave me two double beds instead.

2) The food at the restaurant is delicious to which several local friends attested. The restaurant staff provided great service. However, this means that tge staff can be overbearing and very disruptive during meals when I just wanted some peace. I was constantly checked on and interrupted which meant it was difficult to read or just get lost in my own thoughts. If a dish is made to order, expect to wait 20-30 minutes.

3) Although there's a business center, it's not functional. It was used as an event space during almost my entire stay. When I needed to print something, the front desk pointed me to a printer/copier in the lobby, but there was no one to offer any assistance with the ancient black-and-white monstrosity. I waited for 15 minutes and finally gave up, even though there was a guy at the front desk who was just twiddling his thumbs. When they tried to apologize for the inconvenience and offered to make up for the trouble by giving me access to the Executive Lounge, it turned into a major disruption. A lady knocked on my door while I was trying to work and asked me if I had requested a key card to the Executive Lounge. I explained that I didn't request it but that it was offered to me. She appeared confused so I sent her away but asked for a mouse for my laptop. When she returned, she handed me the mouse and asked me again if I wanted access to the Executive Lounge. Seriously?! Get your communications straight!

4) The walls and doors are very thin and do not cancel out any noise. I heard noise from the hallway, from the room next door, and from the room above me. Plus, the doors to the rooms MUST be pulled shut which means there are a lot of slamming doors.

5) The hotel spa is run and operated by O2, a day spa chain. I got two packages for a massage, body wrap, and manicure and pedicure. While I was waiting for my first appointment, someone tried to sell me a service subscription to the chain. I found it annoying and she refused to let off the pitch even after I declined the first time. The spa services were a hit or miss. The massage and body wrap were great, but the lady did a terrible job on my mani-pedi. It took almost 2 hours for her to do both, she didn't clean my nails properly, she did an awful paint job and smeared polish all over my skin, and there were no base and top coats. I could have done a better job just using my left hand.

6) The hotel offers taxis and cars for hire starting at 400+ rupees one way, 900+ for two hours, and so forth. It's very expensive. My friends encouraged me to use Uber instead and it was definitely a life-saver and good for my wallet.

7) Given that it's India, random bugs and insects in strange places is to be expected. But for a hotel that prides itself on its western standards, I was surprised to see a dead fly on the high-top table I was sitting at by the cafe counter. One morning, I woke up to a worm crawling up the shower wall.

8) Speaking of cafe, the espresso drinks and chai are very good. Just take note that the staff might not follow sanitary guidelines. I witnessed a guy wipe down the espresso machine and then he sneezed right into it but didn't wipe it again.

9) The gym is very small but sufficient. On my first visit to the gym, there were two other guests in there. On the second night that I went in, a strange man followed me in and proceeded to stand in the middle of the room to watch TV. He introduced himself as the trainer and told me it was his job to stand there. What? If that's the case, then where was he the first night?! I was seriously creeped out.

Overall, the hotel is good for a short stay (1-3 nights), but I would not recommend an extended stay like I had done. If I have to do another extended stay in Chennai, I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank dreamyr227

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I was very concerned while reading your comments which reflect dissatisfaction about your experience in our property. On behalf of the entire staff and Management, I would like to sincerely apologize for this bad experience.

We invest a lot of time in effort to train our team to ensure the highest level of personalized service. I have personally taken up your feedback with the concerned team member so that such instances do not occur in the future. We have always worked hard to maintain the high level of our service; I do hope that you treat this incident as an aberration from our usual standards.

Please be rest assured we are committed towards the highest hygiene standards and will certainly be reviewing our processes to plug any gaps whatsoever. Also be informed, that we will enhance our spa services in the coming weeks for even more comfort service to our guests.

We would like to assure you that we have looked into the issues and taken the necessary steps towards enhancement to ensure our guests have great experiences and leave with pleasant memories to cherish; therefore we are very grateful to you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Once again please do accept our sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations I truly hope that you will give us a chance to better deliver upon the guest service you deserve and welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Late night arrival into Chennai and I take a fast track cab to the hotel. I have stayed in the hotel a few times in the past three years and it's the best VFM product on Anna Dalai. Till this trip.

First problem occurred when my cabbie overshot the entrance. He couldn't see it because a water tanker had blocked it and there was no signage to refer to. So he went further, but the place was blocked by the metro scaffolding. Then another two hundred meters to see if there was any option ahead. I landed 500 meters ahead with no option but to leave the cab and walk back....so if you are going to the hotel in the coming years..remember to be alert about this.

Slept peacefully after a quick check in. Called guest service in the morning to get a ironing board. No one turns up for 20 mins..call again and it turns up in 4 mins flat. Someone forgot the first time around.

The it's the breakfast guys turn. Am cruising through the lovely podi dosa and fruits...and I make the mistake of ordering two soft boiled eggs. At the counter..

So I am waiting for them to get it...and nothing happens for 10 mins Then my steward asks me about it and I tell him to get it. Another 10 mins pass and I am through the fruits too..he comes back again to ask me if I need tea....

I then give them a piece of my mind and the executive chef turns up. He gives me a story of how busy the counter and then contradicts himself by saying that the eggs take only 06 mins...

As I get irritated and leave post check out, the GM turns up and apologises. It's a bit too much too late as he should be in control of the hotel instead of giving apologies.

Nishanth Vishwanath should exercise QC instead of spouting niceties to a customer. Wishing him all the best to restore a sinking ship.

Will use the Raintree next time. They are seriously customer focused with the fancy Marriott brand.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank OshoKamat
Nishanthvishwanath, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Dear Mr.Kamath,

We understand that the incidents must have been of great inconvenience to you and for this we sincerely apologize once again. We have noted your concerns, rest assured that the same has been taken up by the respective department heads to ensure this does not happen again.