3,396 results
All reviews al fresco excellent stay business trip would love to come back heritage property great hospitality short stay awesome experience comfortable stay special thanks keep up the good work front office special mention rooms are spacious breakfast spread enjoyed my stay courteous staff
Reviewed 21 March 2016

Have stayed in Kokata 10 time over the past 7-8 years. First time at the Lalit for 7 days. Entrance is disappointing. There is no social area to sit and chat with guests like in the other hotels (Oberoi, Taj). The rooms are large with nice rainwater showers but no bathtubs.
The sheets are poor quality may not even be 100% cotton, and the pillows are filled some strange substance that many in our group found allergenic. The blanket is also filled with something probably kaopok, which was heavy and did not breath making you sweat in the bed They represent themselves as world-class, but have done things on the cheap using cheap products to replace luxury ones. The food (breakfast included) had a good selection but was not top quality. Pineapple was tough and papaya unripe on every morning. They offer a fruit plate in the room complimentary which is nice. Service in the restaurant was exceptionally slow on some nights.
The price for the room we negotiated was reasonable.

Room tip: some rooms reported by our friends had small bugs, check first
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
RakeshMitra, General Manager at The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2016

Namaskar !

I would like to begin by thanking you for choosing us – The Lalit Great Eastern for your just concluded stay and the opportunity given of being at your service. We appreciate you taking out your valuable time to share your experience on this renowned podium.

Your feedback as shared is of prime importance which defines the scope of improvement and maps the training need for any hospitality institution, the same will certainly be addressed with an assurance of a complete turnaround.

We look forward to you next visit and the joy of serving you. Please do write in to me (rmitra@thelalit.com) should you be planning your next event and would personally ensure another remarkable experience.

Reviewed 20 March 2016

I wanted to stay somewhere central, close to business centres as well as the railway station, in order to reduce commute time and maximize on number of meetings and visits in least number of days, without over-exerting myself.
The hotel is definitely a gem for business as well as leisure travellers. The hotel could do away with the constant massive banquets, for that reason I avoided eating at the hotel. The hotel need to focus, or try to be more innovative to prevent mixing of banquet guests and residents.
The staff is good, and place is comfortable.
I believe, the heritage wing is more quite.
The rooms (even the non-smoking ones) smell of tobacco smell to an extent, not sure, if it is the smell of city, or ducting or the wood scent. But the hotel should try to designate some rooms as strictly non-smoking.
Place is children friendly.
To provide facilities and compete with international standards, and retail chains, may investigate facilities of say Accor Novotel or Crown Plaza. The free WiFi is rationed. Should be free and for multiple devices.

Room tip: Need quite choose heritage wing.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Namaskar !

I would like to begin by thanking you on behalf of my entire team at The Lalit Great Eastern for your just concluded stay and for making us your preferred choice in the City Of Joy. We are most humbled with your kind words of appreciation and your valuable time to review us on this global podium.

We look forward to your next visit and the joy of serving you. Please do write in to me (rmitra@thelalit.com) should you be planning your next visit and will personally ensure to carve out another memorable stay experience.

Regards – Rakesh Mitra

Reviewed 20 March 2016

The hotel is situated within walking distance to tne B.B.D. Bagh, the heart of colonial Calcutta. Due to renovation works on the colonial building access is by a backstreet unknown to many taxi drivers as well as the hotel's name. Therefore even the instructed driver of our airport prepaid taxi had to ask in the surrounding for the hotel.

The hotel is designed for business travellers and therefore it is a real lack that the lobby does not deserve its name on regard to be a meet and greet area. It is very sparsely furnished and does not really allow to remain seated on one of the two ottomans for longer than half an hour.

Do not worry on regard to the construction work done on the premises of the hotel. It takes place solely in the old wing of the hotel which seemed to us technically absolutely seperated because we were not disturbed by any noise. It is alone the facade on the Old Courthouse Street which is not very inviting. But it is compensated by far by the accomodation in the new building.

The rooms are spacious and the furniture are state of the art. International news channels are available on TV, but sometimes do not work.

Breakfast is sumptuous and offers each day a slightly different choice including regional specialties from other parts of India. The western selection is satisfying as well.

Limousine service is expensive but very comfortable. The navigation system was the same as with the taxis. If the destination is unknown to the driver, he simply asks at a street corner. Do not be suspicious. It is very helpful to have a mobile phone with you which allows you to call the driver from the place he let you off for a pick up, because there are sometimes no parking facilities.

No taxis are waiting outside for passengers but staff will call one from the street and told us even the price to be paid for the destination, we wanted to go for. The airport is at least half an hour drive (Sunday evening); Howrah station can be reached within 15 minutes (weekday afternoon traffic).

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Namaskar !

At the outset i would like to take this opportunity of thanking you on behalf of the entire team at The Lalit Great Eastern for considering us for this very special occasion. We appreciate you taking out your valuable time to review us on this global platform enabling guests from around the globe to know of brand “Lalit”.

We look forward to your next visit and the joy of serving you. Please do write in to me (rmitra@thelalit.com) should you be planning your next visit and would ensure to carve out a another remarkable stay experience for you.

Reviewed 19 March 2016 via mobile

I have been staying in this hotel for last 7days on a business tour, meanwhile I went home on 17th night (as I am from the same city.) and came back 19th morning. When I tried to enter my room the key card didn't work and I had to get it re-activated from reception, now the biggest shock was in store... I entered my room and found some other persons luggage was kept there instead of my luggage. On going back to reception immediately, they very visibly became confused and offered me another room... and after sometime my luggage was found in their custody, which was manually frisked also... most disgustingly the hotel staff tried come up with some illogical unreasonable story. I am an extensive traveller for my professional reasons and stayed in most of the 4/5 star rated properties in the country and a few abroad, but never had to come across this kind of situation. Shocking.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Somnath M
Reviewed 15 March 2016

I stayed in this place thinking that it would be The Great Eastern an old world heritage charm, only to find out that the heritage wing was under renovation, which was a bit disappointing. Overall a good stay, great hospitality and well trained courteous staff. Someone mentioned it is a happy Hotel, I endorse it. It's got a good vibe. The breakfast spread was amazing and I wish I had more time to unwind within the premises of the Hotel. Perhaps next time. I would certainly visit it again.

Room tip: Take a room that looks into the Howrah Bridge
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Namaskar !

I would like to begin by thanking you on behalf of the entire at The Lalit Great Eastern for your just concluded stay and the opportunity bestowed upon us to be at your service. We appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule and review us on Tripadvisor.