2,460 results
All reviews thai restaurant an oasis la terrasse grand dame old world charm the heart of the city busy city indian museum pool side the general manager in room dining victoria memorial visit kolkata coffee shop housekeeping staff front office baan
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Located in the centre of the city close to the park and Victoria Monument, this hotel is an institution surrounded on all sides and streets by the massive street markets and the chaos of the city.

My room on the fourth floor was large in size although surprisingly the bathroom was quite small compared to the overall size of the suite and there was only one smallish window. The rooms and the hotel have a lot of timber finishes and antique style desk and cupboards. My bed was a good size queen and there was a pillow menu which I used as the pillows supplied were too soft for my liking.

There is a lovely outdoor pool in the centre of the property surrounded by the rooms. With the noise going on the nearby streets it’s amazingly quite.

Breakfast was included in my room rate and it was one of the best breakfasts I have had anywhere in the world. Lots to choice from the buffet plus a hot and Indian breakfast that can be ordered from the wait staff and included in the buffet. I loved the fruit juice and smoothies served in a small bottle with a straw. The special omelette with creamed chicken and cheese was also outstanding. There are waffles, pancakes etc that can also be ordered.

The choice of TV channels is not the greatest compared to other hotels I have stayed at in India where there are usually hundreds. But there is also a comprehensive DVD selection available to borrow from the hotel at no charge.

The service throughout the hotel is exceptional. Nothing is a trouble, always with a smile, and you are made to feel very special & welcoming. It’s the little details that are impressive like a small elastic band they used to tidy my phone and tablet cords. Staying here you will feel very pampered.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
SUMITJCAL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Grand. It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us and thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on Trip Advisor and for writing this review.

I am so glad you had a truly memorable stay. It is wonderful to know that you loved the grandeur of the hotel and friendliness of the team. Indeed even though the hotel is located in the market area, once you enter the hotel lobby, you are transported into a world of calm and serenity in contrast to the chaos and noise outside. The swimming pool with the quadrant garden makes a pretty picture at the lobby level and it is the central feature of the hotel. I am happy you loved your pristine and well appointed room and the pillow menu. I have noted your disappointment with the bathroom being small. I have further noted your feedback regarding the television channels available at the hotel. We will work on your feedback.

People are our greatest asset and your appreciation and words of encouragement would go a long way in inspiring and motivating each of us to deliver Service Par Excellence to all our discerning guests. Our chefs are also delighted to know that you loved the breakfast offering and dining experience.
I have shared your sentiments with each of them.

We are in the business of creating memories and my team and I look forward to welcome you back. We truly value your patronage and if I can be of any assistance in the future, do reach out to me.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 March 2018

A beautiful hotel with very professional and personal service. It was a great introduction to Calcutta and we returned toward the end of our Indian holiday for a second stay. It was fascinating to step out from this immaculate hotel into the thriving street market that surrounds it. Although this was very crowded the vendors were comparatively restrained and it was fun to walk down to Park Street. Although there was some confusion with our booking through Orbitz the front desk was very gracious in helping us resolve this.
Other reviewers mention the breakfast which was excellent and not to be missed.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Grand as your preferred hotel accommodation in Kolkata. Thank you also for sharing your experience with other guests on Trip Advisor and writing this review.

Oberoi Hotels and Resorts are synonymous the world over for their blend of service, luxury and quiet efficiency at the hands of well-trained staff offering a warm welcome and unparalleled levels of service and I am delighted to know that your stay and experience across the hotel has been of the highest standards and you were made to feel welcome and at home.

I am so glad that together the team created wonderful moments and memories that you would always remember with fondness. Thank you for your generous words of appreciation for the team.

Indeed this Grand Old Dame as the hotel is fondly referred to, is centrally located with New Market and street shopping surrounding the hotel. Also it is within walking distance to most places of interest and the famous Park Street dotted with standalone restaurants. I am happy you loved your room and its appointments, the food, service and ambience at the restaurants.

Your appreciation means so much to us. It is well travelled and discerning guests like you that lend stature to our hotel and enable us to deliver Service Par excellence to all our guests. We value your sentiments.

I look forward to welcome you back to The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Dear concerns
I was really filled with their awesome and cherish welcomed with red carpet. When I entered there I was flying in the sky. Lovely faces greet me and vice-versa. They made all comfortable things for me because I tired due to my long journey.
Their breakfast buffet was too delicious. Moreover chefs suggested me flavor of the day items and acquaintances with all the ingredients. While I had to return they packed some eatable because they knew that my journey is 1800kilometers far away from there.
As such as I've no more words to explain their efforts.
Last but not the least I was ill in the midnight and even I was alone so they arranged medicine for me.
Regards
Naveen Kumar

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was wonderful to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand. Thank You for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience.

I am so happy to know that you loved the warm welcome at the hotel and gracious hospitality provided by the team. Thank you also for highlighting that you enjoyed your dining experience and the buffet breakfast offering and the personalized attention from the chefs. Indeed we are in the business of creating magic and are fortunate to have such a lovely team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and thank you for your appreciation which I have shared with my team.

We value your patronage and my team and I look forward to welcome you back. If I can be of any assistance at the hotel, it would be my pleasure.

Wishing you good health.

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Such a beautiful clean place to stay. The staff were so helpful and we felt very welcomed. I highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a special place to stay! The buffet breakfast was beautiful and The Thai restaurant was once of the best I have eaten at!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, the view was of the street, the pool view would have been nicer.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was wonderful to have you stay at this iconic hotel.

Thank You for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We feel so privileged that you shared your experience with other travelers.

I am delighted to know that you loved the hotel, food, guest room comfort, service and attention to detail and high standards of hygiene and maintenance. I am glad we were able to live up to our promise of service excellence and make your stay memorable. Thank you for your generous words of appreciation for our young team. I have shared your sentiments with them and they are all smiles!

We deeply value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to your home at The Oberoi Grand. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do let me know.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful charming hotel, colonial style yet all necessary comforts without plunging into modern. Just stylishly furnished and oozes character! Breakfast excellent too though I don’t necessarily understand why single travellers are put to seat separately from other guests, and further away from the buffet tables. Wonderful service across the hotel, as you would expect in an Oberoi.

One suggestion I would have is to place guest toothbrush and toothpaste in the bathroom. I was promptly offered a small pack when I requested but one would think that this should be readily available in the bathroom.

Highly recommend the spa too... one of the best head massages that I’ve ever had!

Sadly I didn’t get to explore much the surroundings but the hotel is well located in the old quarter. I guess I willl have to return to discover the neighbourhood!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It is most kind of you to share your experience with other guests on Trip Advisor.
Thank you for taking out time to write this review.

People are our greatest asset and thank you for your appreciation and words of encouragement which I am certain will go a long way in inspiring and motivating each of us to deliver Service Par Excellence to all our discerning guests. I thank you for recognizing and appreciating the team.

I am so glad you loved the central location of the hotel, the grandeur and old world charm coupled with pristine, comfortably well laid out rooms, sumptuous and well presented breakfast spread, the food at the restaurants, service and overall experience at the hotel. It is well travelled and discerning guests like you that lend stature to our hotel and I am so glad that together we were able to make your stay memorable.

Though dental and shaving kit are not a part of our standard room amenities, we do offer these on request. However, we have updated our guest history database to ensure a dental kit is placed in your room prior to your arrival for all your future stays.

My team and I look forward to welcome you back to your home at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata.

Best Wishes