The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$136
US$84
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$65
Hyatt.com
The Oberoi Grand(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$158
US$122
  • Pool
Swissotel Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$80
US$75
Agoda.com
The Park Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$101
US$61
  • Breakfast included
The Peerless Inn(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$62
Ethnotel(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$50
US$41
Agoda.com
Pipal Tree Hotel(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$64
US$56
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Excepting its locality I would never recommend this hotel. I have to wait at the lobby for 30 min the check in, since I made the booking online and the staff members were not able to locate it on the first go. The rooms were not that clean and are not sound proof as well. So you hear when ever people walk by. Not friendly staff members, rooms were not appealing as well as the ambiance.

I would not recommend this hotel since the price to performance ratio is very bad.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kgprashanth
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Stayed recently for 2 nights. Was given a room which was small and smelled of not being used for ages. Asked for a different room and was given even smaller room. I was Travelling alone so didn't mind it.
I won't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Hyphenen
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Hotel Gardenia is located near central Kolkata. Esplanade, Elgin Road, Park street and Camac street are all within few minutes reach from here. We have been quite a few times, last being few months back. Reception staff are polite. Rooms are clean and well maintained. They do not have restaurant but they provide room service, quality of which was great. In the same locality there are few good eating joints too. Overall good place to stay; a good budget hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vrfellow
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The location of the hotel is quiet good and has very good connectivity. Just 15 min walk from Maidan and Rabindra sadan metro. The rooms are also good and is worth for the money.

* Good room service
* Clean and hygienic
* Provides complimentary breakfast on the bed
* Friendly and helpful staff members
* Located in very central area
* Very good and appealing rooms

Room Tip: Rooms located away from the lift are better, as they hav the old lifts which make noise when the door is opened..!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sbeshwaran89
Reviewed 23 October 2012

It was around 7 months ago, I landed in Kolkata from Delhi late at night and headed to Hotel Gardenia at Puddapukur (Sarat Bose Road) as I could not find any place in my company guest house at Tollegunge.
It’s the taxi driver who took me to this area. But he did not force me to this hotel. There were several nearby. I choose Gardenia as this was the cheapest option (around Rs 1800/- to Rs 2200/ at that time).
In Kolkata – never go by economy. Spend money, you’ll get quality. Else….
The lobby /reception is dimly lit, dark and depressing. After a messy check-in (they were themselves confused which room to allot to me), finally I landed up in a ground floor room which was spacious, too big, too uncomfortably big with a hard warm mattressed bed. The room was damp, smelled, and appeared to be quite close to the lobby.
The AC started and created a rattling sound. The fan moved also with a sound.
I called the staff. They suggested an alternate option at higher floor but it’ll b a non AC room and I’ll have to vacate next day sharp as it’s booked already.
I readily agreed as I had no options left. Its already past 12 in night.
Lift was not working. We climbed the stairs. Room was small, bed and mattress as mentioned earlier, room is hotter and non-AC, also room is facing the road. Fan was switched off as full speed. Hot air circulated inside. But opening window was out of consideration. Heavy traffic moving outside on the road seemed to revervrate the whole room and the building (a very common problem in many old Kolkata buildings).
I did not get any dinner on that night.
Next morning when I checking out, in the lobby I found Gujarati group, a big collection of people of all ages, genders sitting in and around the lobby and lodgiung endless complaints against the hotel to the hapless employee at reception. Lack of water, lack of service…there was a cacophony of complains. I was in a hurry. I checked out, rushed outside, crossed the road, went to the Hotel situated just opposite (I reviewed that hotel of Kolkata a few days ago where I stayed this year with nice experience), had my breakfast there, saved my soul, caught a taxi en-route my hometown; trying to forget a nightmarish stay.
This hotel gives an impression that once it was indeed a great property, now being mismanaged and fallen in bad times. With a good management, at such a nice location, this hotel can definitely improve and compete with others nearby. But 7 months back it was horrible. Hope it has improved by now.

Room Tip: Avoid road facing non AC rooms. Avoid ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo