Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$12
US$11
View deal
PricelineUS$12
Agoda.comUS$11
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I did't really want to write this review because I really did like this place. On the whole it's very pretty too look at and has a lovely cosy feel to it, as well as a nice outdoor area to sit and chill in the evening. The morning breakfast is pretty nice, although it does cater to the sweet tooth with pastries alongside toast, but that wasn't an issue for me.

The room is quite dark and a little on the dingy side, but for the price you're paying that's quite understandable. However, for the sake of future guests, I feel I should say I woke up with four very suspect bites on my forehead on the day I was leaving. I say suspect because they were not mosquitos - I got those too, I can tell the difference - but they were in a perfect zigzag line, which is a strong indication of bed begs. I immediately raised this with the lady on reception, who checked the bed with her phone torch. She didn't spot anything, but the room was quite dark and these creatures are good at hiding. I really hope the manager does take some effective steps to check the rooms and ensure this doesn't affect any other travellers. My advice to future guests is still visit this place because for the price you get it's great. But do check the beds and don't leave your luggage on the floor just in case.

1  Thank Eleanor D
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Wonderful and cozy guesthouse, the staff is helpful and friendly! We arrived at half past midnight and the taxi driver could not find the place, so we called them and they came to pick us up and, despite it was 1am by then, they walked us to a little indian restaurant where we could get some dinner and they let us check in the morning after.
As a group of three we spent RM80 for a private room with fan and an amazing breakfast included (toast, jam, watermelon, malay treats, banana bread, coffee and tea).
The guesthouse itself is clean, tidy and spacious, there is a wonderful backyard where you can relax or plan your trip with the free wifi working perfectly!
The location is great, walking distance from the city centre.
Thumbs up for this guesthouse, highly recommend!!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Staying at Apa Kaba provides an experience of living in a old style wooden kampong (village) house among the local kampong community. Reminds me of the olden times.

Responsive owner (Kenny) who answers quickly to my last minute booking. He is helpful too in explaining to us the route to town.

Although room is basic, it is clean and air-conditioned, and comes with hot water. Price is very affordable too.

Very accessible to Bt China, and Jonkers Walk. There are parking spaces within the homestay.

Overall, a good place to stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Linda, the owner, and her family and staff are absolutely wonderful! She told me that this was her husband's family's home for several generations, and when he inherited it, they decided to turn it in to an inn. Self-served breakfast includes both Western and Malaysian home-cooked treats, toast and jam, coffee, tea, etc. There's a stocked fridge and shared computer that you can use, too. Be sure to check out the guinea hens and chickens in addition to the lovely sitting area outside. Bicycles available for rent. Rooms are clean and simple, and beds are comfortable. I opted for a room without air/con, and though the shutters wouldn't open and curtains stayed pretty drawn, the room stayed quite cool. Walls are pretty thin, as this is an old wooden home.
The location is something to either really love or really not--Apa Kaba is about 15 min away from Chinatown and the big sights and museums. Apa Kaba is in more of a typical neighborhood and away from the tourist hordes, and you'll have a very unique, relaxing, and fun experience staying here. I'd say it's worth the walk, even if you're only in Melaka for a day or two.
Highly recommended for couples, friends, families, and solos who like to stick to themselves.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2017

I stayed here for 2 night in early January 2017.

It is located in a warren of alleyways that would be difficult to find without some prior direction - thankfully it seems fairly well known by taxi drivers, and I had no problems getting a taxi there from Sentral bus station.

It is a true homestay, in a fairly old, rustic Malaysian house. Think creaky wooden floorboards and a shared kitchen. I had a room with an ensuite and air-con. I would say this level of room is essential, as the weather in Melaka is extremely hot and humid, noticeably more so than cities further north. The aircon rooms are also set back from the little street which can have noisy scooters going up and down it regularly. It is a little bit more expensive, but still cheap by most standards. The host is very helpful and will assist with maps and advice on where to go and eat etc.

Breakfast is a shared kitchen affair, very simple (think white bread toast and jam with some fruit and tea), but a reasonable way to start the day. It will be a bit cramped however if a large number of guests all want to east at the same time.

At first I thought it was not that well located, being a bit of a stroll from the Jonkers St area. However I learned this was actually a blessing, and it is in fact very centrally located taking into account other important areas. I found Jonkers St to be a horrible tourist trap aim at selling incredibly overpriced food to Westerners and Singaporeans - the only such place I found in Malaysia. No locals eat there, it really is just a tourist attraction. I would recommend walking through there once to see it, but then going elsewhere to explore and eat.

The other areas this homestay is central to is Chinatown and Little India to the North-West (on the east side of the river going North). There I found the kind of authentic, packed-with-locals eateries I had come to expect from Malaysia, with normal local pricing. To the South-East is the "new" area with modern department stores, and more decent food outlets, although a bit more expensive than Chinatown, but still very good. To the South-West is an area where you can find more Malay style dishes. Immediately West is the main historical sites based around Dutch Square.

Note that "Nyonya food" is completely commercialized as a tourist draw, and expect to pay a premium for it almost everywhere you go, especially in Jonkers St. In reality, much of it is unauthentic rip-off that may not be anything like the genuine cuisine. You are probably better off just going to local Chinese, Indian or Malay eateries and finding the food the locals eat is similar in many ways, and much better and cheaper. I had some amazing chicken rice-balls at a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown that was not advertising it as Nyonya food. So be willing to do some walking and exploring!

Room tip: aircon room is essential, and is also set back from road and a bit quieter
Date of stay: January 2017