Lowest prices for your stay
US$11
US$10
View deal
Priceline
US$11
View deal
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I can't stop smiling. I've rediscovered this gem after five years, and I should have used it long before.

Well - hmm.....what can I say. Its NOT Buckingham Palace, and its not meant to be. Theres something beautifully random, chaotic, yet organised about the building itself, which is part of its utterly unique beauty and charm. Think Antonio Gaudi meets Picasso and the pair of them get Malaysian sanity.

But thats not all. Its the infectious sense of peace and quiet you get with this place. I mean, for the sake of my sanity, I need to escape the city every 4 to 6 weeks and this is close enough to KL and Singapore to do that.

Its also close enough to the tourist attractions in Melaka itself, all ten minutes away.

Those expecting luxury - you'll be disappointed. Those expecting joy, laughter, and healing for the soul.......GO HERE!!!!

Date of stay: May 2017
1  Thank crazygweilo
Reviewed 4 May 2017

We stayed for 2 nights at Apa Kaba in early February, a lovely, basic kampung home stay, situated a short walk from town. We had a few initial concerns when we checked in, as they had double booked the room we were staying in and were wanting to move us to another room for 1 night then back to original room or pay extra for the upgraded room. We ended up staying in the upgraded room (slightly larger with a fan and AC) rather then repacking, but agreeing not to use the AC, which was a little strange. It wasnt a major issue though, particularly given the small cost of the stay. The home itself is modest but nice, there is a basic breakfast in the communal kitchen area and some nice outdoor spaces to sit at night. We were staying during the Chinese new year, so the kampung was alive with sounds of fireworks and celebrations. We were also lucky to see an interesting Chinese lion dance at the local temple nearby with all the other locals and a handful of tourists, which was fantastic, so very skilful and acrobatic. The kampung is still a poor area, but the locals are all so very friendly, making this a really enjoyable stay.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I did't really want to write this review because I really did like this place. On the whole it's very pretty too look at and has a lovely cosy feel to it, as well as a nice outdoor area to sit and chill in the evening. The morning breakfast is pretty nice, although it does cater to the sweet tooth with pastries alongside toast, but that wasn't an issue for me.

The room is quite dark and a little on the dingy side, but for the price you're paying that's quite understandable. However, for the sake of future guests, I feel I should say I woke up with four very suspect bites on my forehead on the day I was leaving. I say suspect because they were not mosquitos - I got those too, I can tell the difference - but they were in a perfect zigzag line, which is a strong indication of bed begs. I immediately raised this with the lady on reception, who checked the bed with her phone torch. She didn't spot anything, but the room was quite dark and these creatures are good at hiding. I really hope the manager does take some effective steps to check the rooms and ensure this doesn't affect any other travellers. My advice to future guests is still visit this place because for the price you get it's great. But do check the beds and don't leave your luggage on the floor just in case.

1  Thank Eleanor D
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Wonderful and cozy guesthouse, the staff is helpful and friendly! We arrived at half past midnight and the taxi driver could not find the place, so we called them and they came to pick us up and, despite it was 1am by then, they walked us to a little indian restaurant where we could get some dinner and they let us check in the morning after.
As a group of three we spent RM80 for a private room with fan and an amazing breakfast included (toast, jam, watermelon, malay treats, banana bread, coffee and tea).
The guesthouse itself is clean, tidy and spacious, there is a wonderful backyard where you can relax or plan your trip with the free wifi working perfectly!
The location is great, walking distance from the city centre.
Thumbs up for this guesthouse, highly recommend!!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Staying at Apa Kaba provides an experience of living in a old style wooden kampong (village) house among the local kampong community. Reminds me of the olden times.

Responsive owner (Kenny) who answers quickly to my last minute booking. He is helpful too in explaining to us the route to town.

Although room is basic, it is clean and air-conditioned, and comes with hot water. Price is very affordable too.

Very accessible to Bt China, and Jonkers Walk. There are parking spaces within the homestay.

Overall, a good place to stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family