“Great neighborhood Irish bar, good food and service”

Callaghan's Irish Social Club
Ranked #9 of 691 Restaurants in Mobile
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We took a break from a meeting to have lunch at Callaghan's after seeing it picked at the 2017 Best Bar by Southern Living. Callaghan's is tucked away on a corner in a residential neighborhood, OAKLEIGH GARDEN, of Mobile. It has been there since 1946. The walls are covered with pictures taken over the years and lots of witty sayings. The wooden booths have certainly seen a lot of folks come and go.

For lunch we had sandwiches, and two of us ordered the special of the house, called the LA burger, LA for lower Alabama. It is made with hamburger mixed with Conecuh sausage washed down with Guinness, and wine for my wife. We started with a smoked tuna pate which was very good also. Service was prompt and helpful.

No music at lunch but live music is on tap many evenings at Callaghan's. If we had the chance we would have gone back for the music and drinks. Recommend putting Callaghan's on your list the next time you are in Mobile.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What an iconic establishment! I truly wish I could frequent this venue more often. Every time you walk into the place, good vibes abound. J.T has preserved a classic bar that has provided adult refreshments to the gulf coast for decades. What’s amazing is that it’s a great bar with families present! Rare combination! If only the pictures on the walls could talk. Also, one of the best bacon cheeseburgers that you can find. One of their daily specials is the”Debris sandwich” a must try .The Sunday breakfast is the bomb as well! Esquire magazine rated it as one of America’s best bars, something locals have known for years. Wish it was closer to the house!”

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

This location is a fun very casual restaurant inside a bar. Kids are welcome. Eating inside and outside. Delicious burgers and Sunday Brunch.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I like to take people to Callaghan's for a business lunch. It's quaint, local, and shows off Mobile to visitors. It's also a great place to get a good sandwich or po-boy.

I have gotten so used to the po-boys and philly cheesesteaks that I have just about forgotten how good their burgers are. This time I ordered the bacon cheeseburger. It was delicious, cooked just right. The bacon was not too crispy which made it great for me. My associate chose the philly cheesesteak and he loved it from the first bite.

The only negative thing I can ever say about Callaghan's is I wish they would offer fries as a side. The cole slaw or chips are okay, but sometimes you just need some fries to go with those great burgers.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Loved it. Great food. Nice atmosphere. Just a great neighborhood town hall. The burgers are great. Potato salad and pasta salad are great.