“Very underwhelming”

Wintzell's Oyster House
Ranked #38 of 475 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: A Gulf Coast tradition since 1938. Serving the best oysters . . . fried, stewed & nude.
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

I was very much looking forward to an amazing dining experience when going into the visit. The food was itself warm, with decent presentation for the most part however, the portions for my friends meal was very disappointing. The taste was extremely not what I expected and that is not in a positive way. I love the ambience and setting of the resturant but the portions, taste and presentation of some of the the meals leave a lot to desire. Especially for the amount paid. Pricing was very much an issue for the small portion of food received in my unfortunate case. Hope to get better portions next time if I decide to go again.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

Recommended by other travelers but just average, understaffed and not eager to please, drinks not refilled, no check backs

Reviewed 1 March 2017

This place is an annual tradition for our students who are competing in competitions at the Renaissance Conference Center located on the same block. It's a convenient location for supper. I always get the Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp! I have seen others order Shrimp Fettuccine and Shrimp'n'Grits that look delicious! I splurged this visit and had the Bread Pudding for dessert (I shared with my students)! It was a beautiful bowl of AWESOMENESS that included ice cream! We arrived early, but the supper crowd grew while we ate. Our service was timely until it came to getting our checks, which took a little longer than expected. Overall, it is a fun, yearly tradition that our students look forward to!

Reviewed 5 January 2017

I have eaten there Two times, . I lived in Mobile and that is how I think of the business. I love Gumbo, but am not enamored by the style or quantity of the food. Service has been less than sparkling. Nothing bad or outstanding , but that is the point, not outstanding, Prices are not cheap. Seems to be very popular, have had to wait . Have only had lunch there ...

Reviewed 21 October 2016

This was some of the best seafood I have ever put in my mouth. Gourmet level food. A large variety of foods. Want break the budget, but maybe if you are on a per diem, but it is a must go in you are staying down town at one of their find hotels.