US$93
US$77
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$103/night.

US$144
US$124
US$87
US$129
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$152/night.

US$159
US$67
US$145
US$128
  • Pool
All reviewszhongshan parksubway entrancereception area isfree wifirooms are cleannice hotelfront desk staffshopping mallconvenient locationspeak good englishnice roombusiness tripstandard roomhongqiao airportchinese foodjefferyline
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Just stayed at the Pentahotel Shanghai for 3 nights. The standard rooms are very small and the bathrooms are tiny. I mean like straddle the toilet to shut the door tiny. This was very inconvenient with two of us trying to get ready in the morning.

The room itself was nice and clean but very sparse, no drawers or enclosed closet. Though it had a nice counter with a chair to give you a little area to store stuff under.

The Pentalounge was very nice with a fun youthful atmosphere. Great food, drinks, and a very western friendly atmosphere. Service was good, most of the front desk and lounge staff spoke fluent English which was helpful.

The Pentalounge was definitely the highlight. We were just at the end of long two week trip so we didn't have much time or energy to enjoy the lounge at night but they had some pretty good drink specials and happy hour times that looked like fun.

Definitely a western hipster type place. Our friend who stayed at the hotel as well joked she was too old to stay here, she's in her 50s.

I would stay again at the hotel but would want the slightly larger room type next time and definitely would try to take advantage of the Pentalounge in the evening.

The property adjoins the New World Hotel Shanghai which is a very nice luxury hotel, for the grownups I think. They have shared amenities so a Pentahotel guest you can use the pool and other amenities at the New World Hotel.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Thank you for your extensive and constructive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy you enjoyed our pentalounge and have to assure you that we welcome guests of all ages! For your next visit we recommended one of our pentaplus rooms that are bigger and have a much larger bathroom with a separate shower stall. I thank you for sharing your detailed experience with us and look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

The Penta team are always very friendly and welcoming and recognise you are a regular in Shanghai.
The food in the bar is always good and the choice is wide. A really friendly hotel.
Thanks Penta team for making me feel at home.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thank you for your comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoy your frequents stays with us. Thanks for your nice remarks about our food quality and variety at pentalounge and dedicated team of Associates. We look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 17 May 2017

We had a short team retreat during a weekend break for a client project. We were from mourned the world and never been to Shanghai before. The Penta Hotel was close to a good Metro stop, easy area to find things to do (CrossFit, Starbucks, biking). The staff was helpful during the breakfast crush. A bit of street noise at night but nothing bad and the price was the best we found for the level of amenities.

Room Tip: we got a 14th floor suite and had a great view
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your first stay in our great city and appreciate your nice remarks about our hotel and fantastic location with metro lines 2, 3 and 4 right on our doorstep. Thanks also for your remarks about our enthusiastic team of Associates and value for money product. We look forward to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2017

I have stayed at Pentahotel Shanghai twice now and the reason for returning there has been the hotel itself and its great location. I really like this hotel and I think it offers good value for money when you can catch one of the discounted room prices. However, the customer service at the front desk is always very poor. It takes ages to check in or to check out and the front desk staff is just not friendly and I always feel like the hotel has recruited totally wrong people in the customer facing positions. I think the hotel would do much better if they paid more attention to choosing the staff in these key positions that give the first impression of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your constructive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am happy to hear you like our hotel, location and value for money product. At the same time I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good customer service experience at our front desk and have already discussed the issue with our Operations Manager to ensure improvement. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to have you back very soon to show that we have taken your comments to heart.

Reviewed 15 May 2017

If I had known more about this hotel, I would have only stayed a night or two. (I was there for 6 nights, which was too long.) The hotel is accessible by metro from Hongqiao Airport (SHA), it is just a few stops away, so that it is handy for a night or two. Zhongshan Park is a lively and fun area to stay in. The metro is an easy walk around the corner from the hotel.

I had to change my room a couple of times because the first bathroom was too small to move around in, and the location was noisy. Rooms are touted as soundproof and they are not too bad, but the hallways are small and noisy. Housekeeping starts early, so don't plan on sleeping in at al, (although they are a good crew ) But, sadly, while I was there, I had to endure a constant parade of door-banging in and out of rooms, which is partly due to hotel design and partly due to inconsiderate guests, (who seem to be proliferating these days).

The marketing for the hotel is effective, and it is sort-of-a-European-style hotel.There are many German and European tourists and some Americans and Chinese as well. But the Chinese-style hotels are often more comfortable, and have more amenities, in general. Pentahotel is really just a nice budget-type hotel. The New World Hotel next door is affiliated with Pentahotel, but more luxurious, and the staff is more professional, the room price is also higher.

The PentaLounge is a good deal, not too pricey for the nice service, food and drink that it offers. Casual and comfortable ambiance, nice lounge staff. Good food and cocktails, and a creative take on Western and Eastern food choices with a touch of class... simple cuisine with a good use of different flavors and many healthy choices. Salads are good, and I had a nice salmon entree on a few occasions.

In the hotel, all the youthful staff all try their best, and the housekeeping staff are quite good. But the front desk staff know little about people just yet. No one is over 25 and the English is just passable. I wrote some room requests, initially, and later changed my room, but the staff really didn't get my drift regarding any of it.The wifi is strangely terrible, I never purchased the high speed wifi, just used the normal, which was iffy at best.

The in- room a/c is good and can be controlled in your room. The bed is comfy, and the linens are nice. The room design is festive and colorful. The bathroom is dated, but it was clean and had a tub/shower combination. The amenities are ok, nothing special, some soap and shampoo fixtures on the bathroom walls, a toothbrush and a small tube of body cream. In my opinion, this hotel is similar to some of the brand name budget hotels from Accor and other such brands.

So, my stay really was a mixed bag, and I left the hotel feeling rather tired since I never slept that well, due to the noise in the early mornings and late evenings.

Stayed: May 2017
Marcel v, General Manager at Pentahotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Thank you for your extensive and constructive comments about pentahotel Shanghai. I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations and have already discussed your various observations with the team here to see how we can improve some of the problems you highlighted. We should have recommended one of our pentaplus rooms to you that have a much larger bathroom with a separate shower stall and which are located at the end of the corridors and therefore more quiet than those in the middle of the hallway. I thank you for sharing your detailed experience with us and recommend you try our adjacent New World Hotel next time to ensure the hotel meets your requirements. We look forward to have you back very soon to show that we have taken your comments to heart.