Zhongbang Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$117
US$91
US$114
US$86
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My hotel room lock seemed kind of damaged and the room was awfully cold. The hotel customer service and concierge had an air of reluctance and avoidance. You have to be really forceful to get a small request across to them. Furthermore, they seemed prejudiced against their own kind - Chinese race from abroad.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Minniekiyomi
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel is quite good.The rooms are very large, beds are king size and comfortable, . Location is relatively central ( 10 minutes to Nanjing metro station), although many construction sites nearby alters the aspect of the neighborhood. Not very good breakfast , although quite expensive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicu_moraru
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, my 5th/6th stay over the last 5 years. Under new ownership and you can certainly tell... The staff are relatively unengaging and not particularly friendly. Food quality has slipped too, I was always able to rely on the decent quality breakfast here but the staff are very slow, dont offer coffee or tea refils unless asked (in my experience), the food was generally luke warm from the "hot buffet". The eggs chef, making fried eggs, scrambled eggs or omlettes was the best thing about breakfast. The fruit was not ripe, in my experience and the pastries had the feeling of being taken straight from a packet and put on a plate, not wamred through to freshen them up at all and as a consequence they had that cardboard feeling about them so only tried those once, never again.
I was concerned about the sleep quality I was going to get here given a few of the reviews I've read before travelling but fortunately, I was relatively unaffected by noise and the business room gives the sleeping quarters where you can close sliding doors and completely encapsulate yourself in peace so that was good. There used to be BBC world on the TV system but this has now gone and in fact, the choice of any English language programs on their TV system is a real let down for a foreign traveller. Given they're appealing mainly to foreign business people, you'd think that they'd make sure there was a decent selection of foreign channels available. That would definitely make me alot happier, for sure.
Cleanliness at the hotel seems to have slipped a little now compared with the past and I did feel disappointed by that while there.
I think the only other thing that is not clear, is the fact that the hotel has changed hands and there is a name, ACME, which is outside the hotel and the cigarette trays outside the lifts all have the name ACME set into the sand whereas it used to be Howard Johnson before and yet there's no real clear identity to the hotel at all......you can find reference to both names and in the foyer, there seems to be someone standing at the bottom of the stairs to the restaurant that appears to have been renamed WILLS but nobody actually explained this or even tried to approach me to explain this so I was left absolutely clueless as to what has or hasn't happened with it and what they might even do there. I think they are lacking direction and management.
As the main thing I want to be able to do is relax in my room and sleep well, I'll probably use the hotel on future visits because it's well situated for 58- Nanjing Road indoor market which I visit often too and I do sleep well. I've just had to modify my eating habits and find other places to eat, thank goodness they have a Starbucks next door......
Hope this is of use to any of you considering the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, business rooms are good with a separate sleeping area.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed 22 February 2014

i called the hotel before booking my stay to ask if they had an indoor pool. they answered affirmative and i booked my stay. i arrived 4 days later and they told me the swimming pool and gym were closed for renovation. the staff instead said i will get free coke and sprite...which is really the polar opposite of exercise! i spoke to the night manager alan and he said he will try to find a solution. the day manager mandy called me in the morning to speak about the issue. i appreciate that she was proactive. she offered me free breakfast and a room upgrade but i rejected the offer. instead, i asked if she can allow me to cancel the second and third nights of my stay without penalty. i had to move out that day.

the hotel is actually really nice. and if the exercise facilities were working i'm sure my stay would have been great. particularly, i appreciate mandy for all her help.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Howard Johnson has two hotel in Shangai this one of we stayed was very comfortable,clean and has helpful personel. Rooms and beds was very comfry and quiet. Location actually new reorganised part of shangai and that's why a little far from center and a little isolated from hearth.
Exactly need to find english speaking taxi before you reach somewhere. This hotel actually very ideal for business and congress but very boring for romantic couples.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business