US$153
US$104
US$114
US$104
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$115/night.

Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$155/night.

US$107
US$117
US$92
NewWorldHotels.com
1,968 results
All reviewsguest recognitionifc mallflair barthe club loungerooftop baraura loungethe pearlspecial thanksbund viewtv towerhuangpu riverthe financial districtamazing hotelbusiness tripart decochinese restauranthotel staff
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Shanghai is a Megacity, and staying at The Ritz Carlton Pudong affords you a truly breathtaking view of this vast city of a population of 18 million from 50 storeys up.
We stayed in a Club Bund View Room , on level 51 , just one floor down from the Hotel's Reception (Rooms occupy levels 39 through 51) .
The room size is awesome, and possibly rivals that of Junior Suites of other hotels at some 600sqft. What is really most striking is the panoramic view of the Bund and the Shanghai City Skyline from the room , both during the day and night. Of course, there is the occasional hour or two of fog in the early morning hours or during the night , but as you laze around in the room after a hearty breakfast at Scena ( which has fantastic all-round views of the Bund and Pearl TV Tower ) or at the The Ritz Carlton Club Lounge ( refined dining and superbly attentive service ), the clouds part and the fog partially lifts , to give the most amazing picture postcard view of Shanghai that anyone could dream of.
The rooms ? Simply luxurious. Lots of space to move easily about , the extremely Tall ceilings , and the very wide sofa by the window makes our room virtually a junior Suite , by most other hotels' standards.The King bed is so comfy, it's almost diificult to leave it once you have laid down on it ! The claw-foot bath, standing in the middle of the bathroom was a hit with my family , though they did comment that the sleek TV screen fabulouslyappearing in the middle of a mirrored panel was a bit too highly placed.
The Service ?
Thumbs up for All the staff in The Ritz Carlton Club Lounge ! They are Never failing to look up to welcome you back to the Lounge and usher you to a table of your choice without any delay ,even if it's your umpteenth time having a cup of tea and cookies !You are always made to feel very welcome in the lounge, even for non business travellers like us .We felt rather happy and glad that the superb service extended to all club lounge residents alike ! In particular, Stephen , was really fantastic for making our stay memorable!
Food- we did two mornings at the Club Lounge, and two mornings at Scena. The Lounge, on level 49, is certainly a quieter ,more refined setting ,with really attentive service. The selection is more than adequate for a Lounge breakfast .Scena, at the lobby level(52) has a livelier atmosphere , with a biiger spread of food and juices and certainly more casual furniture .The view at Scena was however much better,as it spans a wider circumference compared to that of the Club Lounge.The huge globe of the Pearl TV Tower beyond the tall window panels and the endless high rise buildings in the background on the other side of the Huang Pu River is what really makes breakfast at The Ritz Carlton Pudong that special.
Location ?The Ritz Carlton Pudong to me won hands down.
Just a few minutes walk to the iconic Pearl TV Tower, and a convenient 3 minute walk along a huge circular pedestrian walkway brings you to the Super Brand Mall to the left , or to Lujiazui MRT ( that brings you to the Nanjing Road shopping belt one stop away) towards the right , of the circular overhead walkway.
An early morning walk along the Bund with my wife was a breeze as a 8 minute walk in the direction of the Shanghai International Convention Centre brought us to the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel- which costs 10 times more per adult for a return trip in it's see-thru carriages than a 6RMB return MRT ride across the Huang Pu river, but than again,you get to The Bund directly from The Ritz Carlton, hassle-free after a very quick 10 minute ride that provides an amusing recorded commentary in English and laser effects .
A must try, is a walk along the Huang Pu river Promenade , on the hotel's side of the river at night. Again , it's an easy 10 minute walk along the length of the elongated Super Brand Mall ,and before you know it, you are mingling with residents of the city , out to take a scenic evening stroll. The Bund , on the far bank , is well lit , and brightly-lit , and extremely colourful river cruisers ply the length of the river , making it a fascinating sight.
With all these wonderful photo opportunities, just within walking distance from the superbly placed ,ultra-luxurious Ritz Carlton, a stay in this fabulous property is truly recomended when visting Shanghai !

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SimpleTravellerSG
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The room is super. The view is excellent. The location is good, it is within walking distance to the subway station. Just next door you will find a big shopping mall IFC with lots of restaurants and fast food stores.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stella K
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I was looking for a luxury hotel to spend the last day in Shanghai for some relaxation and rejuvenation after a long working trip. Having already stayed mostly at the Peninsula ( which I loved ) and the Park Hyatt ( which is over-rated ), I decided to try the new Ritz Carlton Pudong. The Ritz’s properties to me have always been a hit and miss, but at least the pictures on the website looks very appealing.

Arriving

I checked out from the Kerry Pudong and arrived at the Ritz Carlton by private car. My baggage was taken by the bell boy who gave me a luggage tag number and told to give my luggage tag to the front desk reception. On arrival at the 52nd floor lobby, the staff gave me the room key and I was shown to the lift, no escort to room. Surprisingly, considering that I booked one of their suites, but small matter. I do think the welcoming on arrival can be a bit warmer though.

The Suite

I booked the Premier Bund Suite which is one of the top end suite. Upon entering the suite, the blinds automatically open up, to reveal a spectacular panoramic view of the Shanghai bund area, including the iconic Pearl Tower, and with the Ritz Carlton advertisement video playing on the TV as a background. Kind of gimmicky, but nevertheless quite impressive. Indeed, the first thing one notice is the view. It was even more impressive in the evening when the lights were all up. In some way, it is even better than view from the Park Hyatt. Although not as high up, it is a closer, up-front view. Staying in this suite, one has a bird-eye’s view of everything going around in the Huangpu river.

Looking around, the suite feels smaller than the advertise size of 100sqft. The suite is divided into the bedroom / bathroom quarters and living area. The deco is what is called Art Deco style, a heritage of the 1930s era where Shanghai was known as the Pearl of the Orient. The furnishing is expectedly of high quality, although I find the furniture rather bulky for the size of the suite. The bedroom in particular feels rather cramped. There’s barely any space between from the bed to the window and the hotel still squeeze in a bulky sofa chair. The suite features two 42” LCD TV, a large working desk in the living quarters and a minibar area with a coffee machine. For a modern hotel, there isn’t any AV connection or power panel on the workdesk. I supposed the hotel assumes that any guests staying in such a suite will be relaxing instead of working. The coffee machine has a very limited selection of coffee.

The bathroom has a unique curly shape bathtub and a large “sky-forest” rain shower. The sky shower is the best feature of the bathroom, with great water pressure. I am however not sold on the specially designed bathtub which feels awkward. Contrary to the website, there is no panoramic view from the bathroom in my suite. One does looks out to the window from the bathtub but towards the sky only. There is a in-wall LCD TV in the bathroom, but the position is wrong. Toiletries supplied are top of the line Aqua Di Parma as expected at this price range. There is a small walk-in closet ( too small actually ) and a make-up table.

This suite will be much more appealing if not for the substandard housekeeping. The floor feels sticky because it has not been properly cleaned. The windows are dirty, which partly spoils the view. The bathroom is stained, especially the overhead shower. This really spoiled the experience for me.

Common Areas and Location

The hotel is located at the heart of Shanghai’s Pudong district, with easy access to the commercial areas nearby and the airport. The hotel itself is connected to the IFC Mall, a spin-off of the famous IFC Mall in Hong Kong that features luxury shopping, wide range of restaurants and eateries. The location cannot be more ideal.

The hotel itself feels kind of small. The lobby especially is a small area with a lounge and an Italian restaurant taking up most of the space. There is also an outdoor bar at the 58th floor called The Flair which has an open air area. As I booked a suite, it comes with club lounge access. Ritz Carlton is famous for featuring gorgeous club lounge, with 5 food servings a day. The club lounge is indeed spacious and has the same great views of the Bund Area. It was not crowded during my stay and feels nice and cozy. The food served in the lounge is generally OK. Breakfast food quality however was very poor, with the bread tasting stale. The breakfast at the lobby restaurant is even worse, and crowded.

I have some service issues with the hotel. My luggage was delivered late, and only delivered after repeated chasing. I left the room for an appointment before my luggage was delivered and was not pleased to find on my return that they left my very heavy luggage bag at the entrance foyer instead of the closet.

The club lounge staff serving style lacks finesse befitting of a high-end hotel like Ritz Carlton, especially in food presentation. They often forget to bring sugar and cream with coffee and mixed nuts with Champaign.

The single area I had most issues with is with the house-keeping which as mentioned earlier, was exceeding sloppy for a 5-star luxury hotel. The floor, which was made of wood, was so dirty and “sticky” that I had to keep my slippers on all the time. I didn’t bother to complain as it was only for one night and I don’t want to be kept waiting out of my room if I asked them to clean up again.

The staff I encountered were generally friendly, attentive and eager to help. Some are clearly better than others. I find in particular the bellhops to have been acting rather snobbishly and unfriendly. I am not sure why.

Overall, I think the service issues were mainly down to a lack of training, which after opening for more than a year, these should be already been rectified long ago.

Conclusion

Like a lot of Ritz Carltons I have tried before, they tend to be a hit and miss and didn’t always got it right the first time. Their new TV ad, playing throughout all Ritz Carlton hotels around the worldwide emphasis the special and spectacular services that they purported able to offer their guests, such as arranging fireworks celebration impromptu or organizing cooking classes among other amazing feats. Of course, discerning hotel guests like myself and many others are not expecting such in reality. It will be much more practical and pleasing to the staying guests if the hotel gets the basics right first, something as fundamental as keeping the room really clean for the staying guest. I have seen top-end 5-star hotels able to keep rooms sparkling clean during every stay and most are much older than RC Pudong. So I see no reason why Ritz Carlton Pudong should fail in this aspect so miserably.

In consideration of my experience, I have to rate this hotel a low 3 out of 5. It has failed to deliver a luxury hotel stay experience. The lack of attention to detail and substandard housekeeping left it miles behind the immaculate Peninsula. It’s also very poor value for money for the rates it charged. So in conclusion, count me underwhelmed and unimpressed and I am unlikely to return.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed 22 November 2011

A really nice hotel. Good food, convenient location and great service

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I`m so appreciate that hotel staff let me have this great memory of my trip. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the hotel view are so amazing. Their club staff let me have a happy wedding anniversary. Everything like at home as well. If have another opportunity that will be my first choice in shanghai.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends