Royal International Hotel
Good 3.5/5
US$98
US$92
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsclose to the airportpudong airportshuttle busairport hotelpu dong airportjapanese restaurantnice hotelan early morning flightnon smokingbooked this hotelbuffet breakfastcomfortable bedlate at nightcentral shanghaistayed one nightchecking inthe air conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2018

A little difficult to find the hotel shuttle bus as he had left due to an unexpected baggage collection delay at Pudong, but a phone call to the hotel had him back in about five minutes
Quick check-in to a clean, comfortable room (overheated somewhat with A/C controls overridden centrally) and back to the airport at 0600 the following morning without time for breakfast.
Not much to report as a result, but no issues of any sort experiences here.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MisterAccountant
Reviewed 6 January 2018

We really enjoyed the bedroom with the private bathroom and its tube. The place was very clean, the bed very comfortable.
The breakfast was very good. We are vegan and could get some food such as muesli, soy milk, a good espresso, veggies, fruits, juices etc. etc.
I know the hotel has also a fitness studio (free), a swimming pool (not sure if free) and a SPA center (extra fees), though we didn´t use them. I think it´s a very good thing for those ones who are staying there more than one night.
The staff can speak good English and it´s very helpful and kind. Also the communication via email was exhaustive.
We didn´t get any Genius benefits, such as welcome drinks, but it´s not that bad :)
The location is far from Pudong Airport, it takes almost one hour with public transport. However, I think it´s a good place for business trips.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank _lilli_yellow_
Reviewed 30 December 2017

Was passing through Shanghai on our way to Dalian and needed to stay overnight close to the airport. A couple things about this hotel to keep in mind. Our taxi driver was supremely pissed off about taking us here as it is just outside the range of where he can get back in line at the airport and it is not a long fare into the city. He grumbled the whole way and virtually demanded we compensate him. The hotel itself is about 30 minutes from the airport so not exactly close to the airport but not downtown either. The hotel itself was okay and the room was quite nice. We had troubles managing the lights in the room as there didn't seem to be a clear rhyme or reason to the switches. The worst thing was that the room was VERY hot all night and there was no way to cool it off. We turned the heat off in the room but it just seemed to get hotter and hotter. Although the hallway was hot it was cool compared to the room. The a/c wasn't working as it was winter and they turn it off. So we didn't sleep very well at all. Luckily it was a short night as we had an early flight. Would not recommend this place as it just didn't seem worth the hassle.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
燕 黄, 总经理 at Royal International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you choosing to stay at our hotel and we appreciate for your valued comments which will help us to improve our service.

Regards to the your poor Taxi experience on your arrival, we fell awfully sorry about that and had started to obtain the car plate number in order to raise a serious complain to their company. And meanwhile, our hotel do provide free shuttle bus service between 06:00 to 23:30, a pre-booking with concierge will make it much more easier for guests whom wants to be transferred from/to the airport.

And the hotel management took serious attention on your feedback about the temperature and lighting system in the room, we had enhance relevant training to all staff to ensure all related guest's requirement will be solved in time.

Once again, we thanks for your time in giving us the feedback, and please be assure that the entire service team are working on it to improve the service quality to delight every single stay of our distinguished guest, and we look forward to serve you again with your future visit in Shanghai.

Best regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on the location and their shuttle bus services to Disneyland and airport, also their rating.
Transportation - I arrived in the evening and tried to arrange the airport pick up, rang and made enquiry, front desk staff doesn’t understand much English at all; eventually sent email and booked a private airport pick up for RMB$280. So didn’t use free shuttle from hotel. As this hotel located about 1km from the metro, walking in the cold and air polluted area isn’t ideal. I ended up using taxi to the metro station most of the time, at least RMB$30 return.
Free shuttle to Disney - watch out! Only one a day to the Disney, as far as I remember it’s early morning about 7,8am. we ended up booking taxi services. Ensure you book the return trip.
Room - Requested very clean, non-smoking room, this hotel did not pay attention to special requests. As soon as I entered the room, the smell makes me feel sick, terrible! Bath towel also have cigarette smell!!!!!
Concierge - excellent services! Friendly staff.
Surrounding - local shops and quiet area. Being a frequent traveller to Shanghai, I must say this hotel offer a good opportunity to explorer local lifestyle but if you would like to see the Bund, Yu Garden etc This Hotel is not ideal.
Front desk - not so friendly and only simple English.
Restaurant - we had lovely dinner at the hotel, reasonable price and nice decor.
Overall - Standard hotel in a quiet area, not recommended if you’re planning to go and see Shanghai CBD.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Checking in at 10pm at night and just staying here 1 night for the location near Pudong Cargo Complex. They mentioned my reservation was cancelled by them at 6pm due to late arrival.... seriously...? Checked with my travel agent, and the room was guaranteed with a valid credit card... it's 10pm so you want to sleep... they still have rooms available so I ask them to check me in anyway.... however, suddenly they TRIPLE the price... After making a bit of a scene, the manager comes to the reception and he's rude and keeps pointing at some hotel policies... Saying the hotel is full and only suites are available...

As my wife stayed down town in a normal hotel, I was quickly fed up and decided to jump in a taxi, giving up 2 times 30min of sleep, but as soon as manager see that I'm serious about leaving, he quickly changes his mind and tells me he just realize a normal room is also still available... the lair... Being tired I accepted paying 50% more than the original reservation... I only had a 6 hour sleep here, but for what I've seen this is a very mediocre, bad smelling, and old hotel, definitely not worth the outrages price they asking.

In the end I paid using the same credit card they said had some issue, which is why they cancelled my reservation.... Just confirming again how much of a scam this place is...

Next time I will take the longer taxi ride to town to avoid this scam...

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
燕 黄, 客户关系经理 at Royal International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for choosing Royal International Hotel Shanghai to stay and We have taken well note of your feedback on the issue and double checked that we had informed the travel agent your non-guaranteed reservation situation and credit card can not be verified!On the other hand we will pay more attention on the staff training and management either we would be grateful for an opportunity to welcome you again!If there is anything we might be of your assistance pls feel free to contact us vis gm@royal-sh.net

Roger Wang