“Truly a 5-star experience”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #22 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 22 March 2012

No complaints, only kudos. Excellent service and friendliness. Good concierge service.

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Staed here again during a business trip and was again very impressed with the hotel. The staff are excellent. I got a very good rate through an online travel site so when I asked for an upgrade I didn't get one. Not a problem as I really didn't expect it. However when I got to my room I was concerned about noise from the construction work for the metro beneath my window. I asked to change rooms to the other side of the hotel and this was done quickly and efficiently AND they gave me my upgraded room.
The hotel is luxurious, rooms very comfortable and in particular the bathrooms very well presented. The only complaint, and this is a real problem across China, is the smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby and first floor seating area. I thought smoking was banned in hotels etc?
The highlight each time I stay is usually the breakfast which is sumptuous! superb range of foods to suit all tastes, all really well cooked and presented.
But this time the highlight was the hot poultice massage in the spa. Absolute bliss!! the therapist was excellent and the treatment suite the best I have ever come across.
Highly recommend this hotel and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Whilst the construction work is on it might be best to request a room away from that area, though it...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank you for your valuable comments. The smoking policy in place at the Hotel complies with Shanghai government regulations, we do appreciate your feedback on this important issue and will continue to work with the relevant local authorities as the regulations evolve. A recent change is that all all our restaurants are now non-smoking. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and the Spa experience. Please also note for your next visit we are launching a new menu at Steak House for your dining pleasure. In addition a Yoga and Tai Chi program is also now available at the Spa. We look forward to being of service in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

My colleague and I just spent two nights at the Four Seasons in Shanghai and had an excellent stay. The staff is efficient and accommodating and goes out of their way to make the experience as near perfect as possible. Our room was very large and we were upgraded when we arrived. We had a small issue with some wind blowing oddly around the windows but the staff changed our rooms promptly without any hesitation.
I have stayed at this hotel on 5 previous occasions and always am impressed by how clean and comfortable the rooms are. The breakfast buffet is also a standout ; even better than the one at the Peninsula (the other hotel I stay in on my trips to China).
There is one drawback and that is there is a large construction project currently underway next door. However, the staff went out of their way to be certain the guests are not inconvenienced by this. Even though we could see the construction we did not hear a thing, nor were we delayed or even bothered by the construction. Again, this is because the staff is fully aware of the potential problem related to the construction and are managing the customer experience to be certain that the standards of the hotel are maintained. They should be commended for their efforts because their attention to all details meant a smooth and pleasant experience for us.
Finally, we had a chance to have massages at the spa before we left. I highly , highly recommend the spa. Peaceful, clean and excellent services. I will definitely go again.
The location of the hotel is great too. Not far from Mao Ming road and a bock from Nanjing West road which both have great shopping and dining.
I highly recommend this hotel and will return again.

Room Tip: Hotel is only booking rooms on opposite side of construction zone so there is no worry about noise
1  Thank Manymiles2010
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. Our neighbourhood is one that is under transformation in this dynamic ever-changing city of Shanghai; we are pleased that you had an excellent stay. Please also note for your next visit that we have launched Yoga and Tai Chi classes to supplement the Hotel's excellent wellness facilities. We look forward to being of service and welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have stayed here several time in the past three years. I has become one of my staple for my Shanghai visits. The location is great as I like to be near West Nanjing Road‎ and the trendy restaurants. As for the hotel the beds and rooms are kept in exceptional condition and the breakfast buffet is very good. It manages to balance American and local foods well. I only prefer local foods with the one exception of smoked salmon and yogurt. I am a runner and my standard out of this hotel is Peoples Square Park - early morning is great among the people doing Taijiquan - as they say "An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening," and "a year's plan starts with spring."

Room Tip: as usual higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The Four Seasons Hotel in Shanghai is an excellent place to stay. I found the hotel staff to be polite and very attentive. The room was clean, and room service was very good being timely and professional. The hotel location is great, and if you like Starbucks, there is one located nearly right across the street. Also, there are several quality restaurants within a short distance from the hotel. I had a very nice and comfortable stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us. Shanghai is a destination full of mystery and adventure. Our concierge team is always available to create tailor-made experiences to bring to life this amazing city. We look forward to welcoming your back to China soon.