“Great XLB and CHEAP!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Jing'an
Neighbourhood: Jing'an
Reviewed 14 April 2017

On entering this restaurant, it quickly became clear this place is not English friendly, the menu is all in Chinese, and no body spoke any English at all, at least for this visit. LUCKILY, a very friendly local gentlemen was behind us and offered to order for us. He not only ordered some XLB for us, but a few other items off the menu that he said we should try, at the time we had NO idea what he ordered, and prayed it wasn't dog... The bill totalled 62 RMB. When the food came out, all 5 dishes, everything was delicious. I can't tell you what I ate other than the XLB which in them selves were just amazing. All in all, I was blown away with the value and the quality of the food, although the place is a little run down, and they don't speak any English I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Kurtis C

Reviewed 22 February 2017

Executive summary:

Pros - slightly thicker dumpling but meatier than Jia Jia, big menu in case you want something beyond XLB, tasty food at cheap prices, local joint

Cons - Not too clean, decor is best described as aged

Top tip - Order at the till, pay, then sit down. You will have to either ask for a spoon or buy a soup or noodle so they automatically give you a spoon (a weird problem but I've been here twice and twice I ordered the duck blood soup* mainly to have a bowl and a spoon)

*Try the duck blood soup, it's a local delicacy

Overall I really enjoyed the XLBs here and would return again and again. Thanks for a positive experience.

1  Thank JonoMichaelL
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

Wonderful restaurant. Delicious Chinese food at very reasonable prices. Great service and location. I'm a charming older building that feels very warm and relaxing. Note that the menu is all in Chinese so you'll need to use a translation app if you can't read Chinese.

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

The most democratic of restaurants in Shanghai and with good reason. Not only is FuChun one of the oldest restaurants in the mega city, but it is one of the most reasonably priced. The traditional XiaoLong Bao are the house speciality and shouldn't be missed out on. Don't be put off by the soya stained plastic bowls, they've safely fed 1000s of people with no maladies. They now also have an English menu and English speaking staff at the counter. Try to notice the vibration of the metro as it passes below, all part of the quaint charm of this local favourite!

2  Thank AJaySarika
Reviewed 15 December 2016 via mobile

If I would try to label this it would be as my headline says a Shanghainese diner. This place gets crowded. The food is excellent the Xialongbao is very good. Any of the noodle soups are a hit and so is the fried pork chop. The menu is in Chinese only bring a Chinese friend or take a chance and point to the menu.

2  Thank Reslimpan