“Best formal Chinese restaurant in Shanghai”
Review of Yong Yi Ting

Yong Yi Ting
Ranked #107 of 17,329 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Lujiazui
Neighbourhood: Lujiazui
Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

We dined out at a few of the more formal restaurants in shanghai but this was the best by far. From walking in we had the menu explained to us with a walk through the local specialities. We opted for sweet and sour pork, the famous pork dumplings, crispy duck, stir fried fried rice with wagyu beef and spring onions and sweet peas.

We were brought an appetiser of dragon fruit in small pieces in soy sauce with a noodle. And some sweet nuts in sesame seeds. Also a complimentary dish of crispy fish in what tasted like a plum sauce.

My only sadness was that we couldn't finish all our food. The fried rice dish with beef was the best I have ever tasted and the dumplings fantastic. We had some mango ice cream for pudding and a Shanghai speciality of glutinous rice pearls.

The service was exemplary. The food was all totally delicious. It was a very very special experience and I wouldn't hesitate to come back for a special occasion.

2  Thank CityKate

Reviewed 17 August 2016

My daughter and I stayed at Mandarin Oriental for 4 nights. We had spring rolls, rice, xiao long bao, fresh squeezed watermelon juice, and a mighty tasty dirty martini for my cocktail. The food quality was excellent and the staff was very attentive. Only thing that disappointed my daughter was that she forgot her black cap on the dining seat and when we returned next morning to hopefully find it, the staff said no one returned it.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Went there for lunch. Was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the dishes. Not inexpensive, but felt it was worth the price. Clearly high quality ingredients, fantastic service.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

I waited almost two weeks before writing this critique of this dinning room because I enjoyed this hotel so musch. We were there for six days to learn about and emerse ourselves in the exploding art scene in China's biggest city. We viewed the hotel as a luxurious respite from city life. We ate in the hotel or our room several times always with great services and good food. We ate at Yong Yi Tang in the Oriental dinner one night. We each had one entree, beef and chicken, one soup for her, and one Glass of wine each. Our bill was $273.00 U.S each glass of wine as $30+ and the entree say, 60-70$. I'm not complaining about the price or the service to the table or the quality of the food ( good but not memorable I.e.not To die for). What the establishment doesn't do well is handle their customers. In general the Chinese are loud and rude ( say, in comparison to say, Tokyo or Seattleites) pushing in line, yelling in public. But generally when people around the world go to a high end establishment they put on their best behavior, or if they don't the maitre de asks them to refrain. Not here. Throughout our 11/2 dinner a 4 year old was allowed to ride his bicycle schooter around the restruant, not just once or twice. The parents thought it was fine, apparently part of the "new money no manners" phenomenon that China is dealing with.[ My son is a prince and I can afford the food so watch my son riding and yelling] who cares about others, or having basic training. So ok, if you are looking for a family joint where your kids can bring their toys and bikes. If your looking for that world class chef and elegant dinning experience in one of Asias finest hotels in China's largest city; maybe next year on this one. They need to work on the management principles first.

1  Thank Kurt S
MO_Pudong, Director of Food & Beverage at Yong Yi Ting, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2016

Dear Kurt S,

Greetings from Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai!

Thank you very much for taking your time to write about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai as such information enables us to improve on our service standards at the same time to rectify any shortfalls.

I sincerely regret the unpleasant experience you encountered at our Yong Yi Ting restaurant. Kindly rest assured we learned from the incident in order to respond better in these situations in the future. I have shared your comments with our team and we will certainly redouble our coaching efforts in this particular area.

Apart from the above, I am delighted to receive your kind compliments on our food and service and once again I apologize for any negative impression and inconvenience caused.

We appreciate your kind support towards the hotel. My colleagues and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly, at marcelk@mohg.com, if I can be of any assistance.

With kind personal regards,

Marcel Kofler
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 3 April 2016

Great food delicious love it and will come back again and again. I loved the presentation and the food. It arrived course by course. The tea served ceremoniously along with the food was such a compliment. I am not very keen on Shanghainese food or dessert but this is an all new level.

Fine dining with finesse. The service staff do a great job too. One of the reasons I stay in mandarin Pudong is this restaurant.