“Authentic German food”

Cuisines: German, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Family owned and operated-serving the community for 25 years
Reviewed 20 January 2018

Good German food is hard to come by in Birmingham, AL. I'd eaten here several times, but it had been a while when I decided to go for lunch. For $10.00 I ordered the one sausage plate. You can choose to have two or three sausages also. It came with my choice of one of three types of authentic German sausages, sauerkraut, spicy brown mustard, a scoop of German potato salad, and a true pretzel roll. The pretzel roll is just like the ones I've had in Germany and Austria. The sausage was too. I splurged and got apple strudel for dessert. The only thing that would have made this meal better was warm vanilla sauce for the strudel. I did not think the meal was expensive. I've paid more than $10.00 for sandwich and soup at Newk's and Panera.
If you are in need of bakery items, Klingler's also has a good bakery. They have apple and lemon strudels, black forest cake, German chocolate cheesecake, and gingerbread men among other things.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

I try to stop here anytime I'm near Birmingham. The food is quality and the pastries are awesome . I had the chance to speak with the owner the last two times I was there , she really cares about her cooking !

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We were looking for a local breakfast spot, no IHOP, please! I found Klingler's on TripAdvisor and we just had to give it a try. I called to check on the wait time as it was a Sunday morning. The woman spoke with a beautiful German/Southern accent. If you've never heard them together, it is lovely! She told me that people were leaving but it would be filling up again. We drove the two miles and were seated immediately.
The staff was so friendly, the food amazing! I had the strawberry blintzes and my friend had the eggs benedict. Another friend got the pancakes that came with hot syrup and melted butter. He said they were the best he had ever had.
We enjoyed everything so much that we opted to buy lunch for the road as we were traveling. We also took an assortment of the pastries home to our families. I cannot say enough good things about Klingler's.
Do not go if you are in a hurry, everything is cooked to order. We were fine with that, they explained the wait multiple times. Between the employees and the other diners, we had a lovely time chatting and learning more about Birmingham.
I will find a reason to return to the gem!

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Aside from being a bit expensive; this is Vestavia Hills. Overall a fine place. The staff was polite, helpful and interesting. It is easy to locate off Hwy 31 in Vestavia and offers a good selection of German tastes. Your Tripadvisor website provides much help for those wishing to locate a German Deli and its Menu while near Birmingham. I enjoyed you Apple Struddle.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

This place is small but quaint with wonderful food. My favorite here is the combo plate, with chicken salad (which is their specialty), German potato salad, slaw and a muffin. I've been eating here for years and it's still a favorite lunch spot.