1,015 results
All reviewshiking trailscentral valleyinfinity poolsan joseprivate jacuzzicosta ricabotanical gardensoverlooking the valleycoffee plantationour honeymoontwinkling lightslarge balconybeautiful groundsrooms are hugemain buildingbefore flying homedogs barking
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We wanted a little taste of luxury during our Costa Rica holiday, so we decided to book two nights and check it out. We were so glad we did. It was absolutely by far our best hotel experience in Costa Rica. Sure it was also the most expensive, but you get what you pay for, and so much more in this case.

The hotel has great character and style, friendly and informal staff, spacious and well thought-out rooms with great design, a really good restaurant that was reasonably priced, very pleasant grounds to stroll in, including a coffee plantation, waterfalls and the list goes on and on. Finally the view of the Central Valley (from the restaurant or from your room) is truly stunning, day and night.

The only snag with staying here is that that you won't want to leave the place to go sightseeing! We recommended this place to anyone, it's a real treat.

We're not the people to give full marks liberally, but in this case it is truly worth it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wildmushroom
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I'd had friends spend part of their honeymoon here, and I had a few days to relax before heading down to the Osa, so I booked a night at Xandari, which became two. Sure, I was the only person traveling alone there at the time, but there is so much to do... if you like hiking, staring out at the gorgeous view from your private balcony, reading, swimming, sunbathing or just vegging out.

I love the villas. The moment I stepped into #14, I thought--yea, this is so my style. The food was very good and reasonably priced, in my opinion, and I found the service lovely and sweet. I'll add photos later.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank Emm_Dash
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Wow. My husband and I began our Honeymoon at Xandari, mainly because it had been recommended and was only a brief distance from the international airport. Once through customs, we were quickly at our hotel and on our vacation -- which is a tremendous plus.

The hotel is on a coffee plantation in Alajuela, which is just far enough from the airport to seem like an escape, and lushly remote enough to sincerely BE an escape.

We stayed in an Ultra Villa, which was one of the most phenomenal rooms we've ever been in -- and we typically don't stay in less than 4-5 Star hotels. It wasn't necessarily as opulent as typical 5-stars, but it was open, airy, artsy and beautiful -- it made us truly feel like we were in Costa Rica. High ceilings, tiled floors, and a spectacular outdoor terrace with a killer view are high points. The beautiful lap pools, restaurant, orchid garden, and waterfall hiking trails are also excellent.

The FREE juices, cookies and sodas in the fridge, plus the delicious free breakfast spreads -- with the best papaya, pineapple, mango, muffins, jams and juices you'll ever taste -- are truly stellar selling points. If you want elegance, opulance and total luxury, this hotel may not be for you -- but then, if you aren't willing to tolerate a little rain, a few bugs, and the natural humidity that comes with a major rainforest, you don't belong in Costa Rica anyway.

Xandari is a perfect, warm, lovely welcome to this country, which is full of perfectly warm and lovely people. The staff at Xandari bend over backwards to please. The artisan shop, with its rich, colorful wood products and hand-made leather bags is also a draw, as is the delicious local coffee. Sincerely, if you must begin or end a trip in Costa Rica, I cannot recommend Xandari enough. It was an fantastic beginning to our honeymoon.

We plan to return many times.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PassportGirlie
Reviewed 7 May 2007

We stayed at Xandari for 3 nights at the end of April in a Prima Plus villa. The villa was amazing with wonderfully original decoration. It was spacious and airy with loads of natural light and patio doors that stretched the length of the villa. We had a large balcony with uninterrupted views over the valley. A particular favourite was the enormous shower!

The staff were professional and courteous without being overbearing and all in all we had a superb time - I would recommend this place without question.

I read other people's reviews of this hotel before we booked and I have to say that we didn't experierence any problems with noise (apart from the insects!). I think that was because we opted for a detatched villa rather than a terraced one. If you are going to Costa Rica then definitely book in with the Xandari.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BMac3009
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We stayed in Xandari for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon and it was the perfect end to our trip. When we arrived there was a welcome note and a bottle of wine to celebrate the honeymoon. We were upgraded free of charge and stayed in one of the luxury villas. The style of the villa was very arty and perfectly clean complete with fridge and a really good walk in shower. We didn't venture outside the resort at night as the restaurant was excellent and the relaxing atmosphere overlooking the city was breathtaking. Staff were very pleasant and even lent us mosquito spray when we ran out. Overall we couldn't fault the resort and would love to revisit. A perfect location to watch the sunset over the valley and a complimentry shuttle to the airport.... It was hard to leave.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple