All reviews yoga classes mind body spirit pura vida get away from it all vegetarian and vegan options healthy food peaceful experience buffet style eco adventure holistic massage business owner costa rica roosters and dogs fresh smoothies beautiful room cloud forest taxi into town
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Food was good but there was never enough and they always ran out. Accommodation was awful! There were bugs everywhere and the place is so run down. There is no comfortable place to sit and relax. Also there is a bad sewer smell that you get a whiff of every now and then, depending on the wind. There is heavy pressure to get spa services and go for excursions which are extremely expensive and require extensive tipping. You are very isolated in the middle of a poor village. There seemed a huge disparity between the large amounts of money we were required to shell out for this place, compared to the poverty that surrounded us in the village. We paid top dollar for really roughing it! $650 per night for bottom of the line 1 bedroom with 2 twin beds. This price included room, food and yoga with OUR own yoga instructors. There is no privacy in the bathrooms and you can see straight into them from different places on the property. Oops forgot to mention the terrible traffic noise at night and then the very early rooster noises in the wee hours of the morning. Also don’t try to complain when you’re there, no one ever responds or is available. Save your money and go elsewhere!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank Vasbyt101
ShinaRae, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Pura Vida Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Oh No! What a shame to hear you did not enjoy your stay. It sounds like you did not understand the type of establishment you were visiting. The no frills atmosphere is intentional, and meant to help you be a part of, and enjoy nature and the environment we've been cultivating for over 20 years. The spa and the eco-adventures, along with our daily yoga classes, are the reason people visit. They are not required, but not to be missed either! We would be remiss if we did not suggest or attempt to provide these amazing services to all guests! I'm sure our staff would have been happy to direct you to one of the many places to sit & relax on property, from our various hammock nooks to lounging by one of our pools. We do have competitive pricing for a retreat in Costa Rica. We do not have a room that cost $650/night with our most expensive 2 twin room costing $210 per person, including meals and 2 yoga classes. Pricing via www.puravidaspa.com.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

This place is designed for yoga retreats (or if you come on your own they offer several yoga classes a day). Great yoga studios, beautiful grounds and pool, amazing views, and fantastic food. Staff was very friendly and resort spa offers a variety of great treatments. There is a friendly resort cat. My only issues were with my room, which had a great view of Alejula and the surrounding countryside, but needed some renovation. The windows did not fully close which made the wind quite noisy at night (this place is high up in the mountains so it can get very windy). The shower door fell in on me while I was showering and my room had a lot of ants running through it during the day. The bed was great though and luckily ant free!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
5  Thank jurisdawn
Reviewed 30 January 2018

My wife and I have been to Pura Vida four times for a week of yoga. We will be back.
Things are quiet (except for the roosters in the neighboring small farms and the occasional truck on the mountain road below). The ambiance is relaxing while not being ostentatious. The yoga and exercise rooms have fabulous views 1500 feet down onto the central valley. The massages are the best although rather normally expensive. The food is ample and generally good, but no beef or pork need apply. You can bring your own spirits, but otherwise there is wine and beer, sodas, and smoothies.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jeffrey M
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Pura Vida is beautiful, the staff go above and beyond expectations, the food is healthy and delicious, and Thais gave me a wonderful, intuitive massage treatment.

When the gardeners noticed I was searching for my shirt that the wind blew off the balcony, they spent at least 20 minutes helping me look for it. We arrived at 1am because of a missed flight, but they sent a shuttle to get us from the airport anyway, for no charge. They even carried our bags to our room for us, and saved us dinner.

We asked for a recommendation for a driver and they booked us with Mario Chacon Segura. He drove us to our second hotel for below what another driver had quoted us, and acted as a guide, explaining what we were seeing out the window. At no extra cost, he suggested we stop on the bridge crossing the Tarcoles River to see the crocodiles. He then recommended a trustworthy tour guide co-coordinator that booked our tours for us, at a great price.

It seems that everyone associated with Pura Vida are kind and honest. I really can't think of anything negative to say about them!

Room Tip: Tentalows may be cold, but you can request a heater.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lorraine R
Reviewed 17 January 2018

My wife and I had the chance to spend a week in early January there doing a Taichi and Qigong retreat. The resort is truly nice, rooms are very elegant (we had a Vista) and it was refreshing to have no electronic at all in them (TV / phone ...). If you want to rejuvenate that is the place BUT what make this place unique for me is the level of service. I have travelled the world over many times and the kindness of the staff, dedication to help out f their normal duty is truly enjoyable. Miguel specifically will work magic to find solution to your requests. We are definitely going back next year

Room Tip: do not hesitate to ask for extra blankets as some nights can be a bit chilly
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple