“your typical bad restaurant”

Restaurante La Tipica
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Reviewed 14 August 2017

At any other place, I'd accept that maybe I'm not accustomed to local food and I can't appreciate it. Not at La Tipica.
From start to finish, my visit was confusing and underwhelming. I'm breaking it down into categories to help organize my thoughts:
Service:
There were virtually no people working there, and they all seemed unmotivated and unenthusiastic. The waitress/hostess was unfriendly and honestly couldn't care less about the guests. We could regularly see our orders waiting at the window for sometimes 10 minutes before she bothered to bring them over to us.
Also, if you don't speak spanish, you're going to have a hard time. The staff speaks barely if any english. This isn't a reason to deduct points, obviously, but you should keep in mind that a language barrier might be there.

Food:
If I'm going to be honest, the food was completely unacceptable. Tortillas were dense and dry (maybe stale? I couldn't tell), the steak was unchewable, and the drinks tasted like dirty water. The only dish I can say was pretty alright was their 'carne en salsa' option for the gallo, which wasn't even listed in the english translation for some reason. It's like a beef stew, and the meat was tender but there was hardly any of it.

Atmosphere:
The place was dark, dingy, and dirty. The tables were kind of sticky, and the whole place was unappealing.

I wanted to enjoy a genuine cultural experience at this place, but it was unimpressive at best. Don't waste your time or your money and go somewhere decent.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

We tried this Soda for Dinner one evening and the atmosphere was Costa Rican Quaint! Its on the main road driving into Fortuna so can be busy and load, we didn't mind. Great people and traffic watching :) The service by the young gal was delightful. Friendly and great service. I had the Cerviche with mucho garlic and my husband had the pasta. The fish was grilled over coals and was delicious. The side dishes were fresh cooked veggies and mouth watering. The pasta was average. The fruit was delicious, as it is everywhere in Costa Rica! Can seat larger groups as well. One of the best Soda's we ate at in Costa Rica.....highly recommend it.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

We wanted a quick evening meal after a long transfer so tried this local "Soda" , even though it did not look too promising from the outside. It was a great surprise with good food and reasonable prices. The service was quick and the waitress was friendly.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

We stopped here for lunch based on our guide Andres' recommendation and were not disappointed.
Basic decor but with nice patches of green,clean toilets. Our selection had generous portions freshly prepared at low prices.
Languorous service but friendly

Reviewed 30 October 2016

We had lunch here, and really enjoyed it. The fresh fruit drinks were amazing - don't miss those!
My wife had rice with chicken, and I got the chicken casado. Both were very good, and were generous portions. The grill they have out front to cook the food on is a nice touch, and what caught our attention to stop.
Credit cards were accepted.