“You Get What You Pay For!”
Review of Hotel Dorothy

Hotel Dorothy
Reviewed 28 February 2017

Good:
Front desk spoke English well, seemed nice enough
Good view of Mount Arenal if you are on the right side of the building
Close to supermarket
Large kitchen, seemed well equipped- if clean
Short walk from town- probably quiet when local fair is not on across the street
Large balcony –if clean, beer cans littered all over
Comfy bed
Parking lot
Wifi
Price point

Bad:
Rooms in bad shape- cracked chipping paint, windows don’t lock, linens threadbare, no TV in room
Sink leaking
Shower will not drain- stagnant water pooling at bottom
Kitchen is filthy! Ants on everything. Fridge is very dirty and small. A shame because it was decent size and actually had cooking utensils

Summary:
My stay at Hotel Dorothy was not BAD, but not great. I am also not that fancy, if I was I would have said it was bad! This is a very basic bare-bones hostel (private rooms available). I can’t say that I would recommend this place to anyone but, if you need a roof over your head for the price point they provide it will serve you alright. The room (bedroom area) was clean enough, sheets were tired and old but clean. Private room had a double bed, a small night table and a fan, that is it. There is a wrap-a-round balcony just outside the window and the windows would not lock properly; this was a bit of a concern as I am a solo female traveler. The sink ended up having a leak and when I returned from the fair across the street my bathroom floor had a bunch of water on it. I reported to the front desk but they could not do anything until morning (I would be leaving at 7:30am anyway), they offered to move me to another room but it seemed like a lot of work to move all my stuff, and the room looked worse than the one I had and I was tired. It was late. I settled for a whack of towels to jam under the sink until the morning to keep the leak contained so that I could pack and get some sleep.
I asked the front desk agent to call me a cab to go to the hot springs, I specifically asked that he call an official cab, which he assured me he had, only to have a “red car” show up. It was not an official taxi at all but just some guy with a red car. I found this to be unprofessional and deceitful. Tourists are given many warnings about how they should not take unofficial cabs, when asked what he had called the front desk agent flat out lied. Although this was by no means the end of the world it really irked me.
The location is good, maybe 3 blocks from the town center, a 2-3 min walk. Large grocery store only a 100m away. I think it would probably be a quiet location but still close to the main area normally; I happened to be there when they were having a town fair across the street though and it was very loud. The balcony upstairs could be very nice! It was large, had picnic tables and rocking chairs, a decent view of the volcano. Unfortunately there was a half dozen beer cans/ pop bottles left lying around which was not the end of the world but not very nice.
Hotel Dorothy does have parking, as advertised. It is a deserted lot next door to the building. My car was fine there and it was nice to have off street parking.
End of the day, you get what you pay for… This place is very budget. If you are okay with that it is probably fine. I was hoping based on pictures and other reviews for a bit more… Nothing fancy! But a little bit more.

Room Tip: Ask for a volcano view... There is some power lines but you can still get a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I had a private ensuite room for $20, but I probably would have been better off in a dorm at a hostel. There was a fair across the street blasting music until 1AM, so plenty loud. It was not particularly clean. Unfortunately, the shower drain in room 17 is not at the lowest point, so I stepped into standing water as my morning greeting. As of today, thankfully, I am not exhibiting symptoms of athlete's foot or foot rot.

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed 31 December 2016

We took private room for 2 days. The room was good and clean bathrooms. its at walking distance from bus station and absolutely safe. You can see awesome view of Arenal mountain from your room. The Owner is awesome guy and he helped us a lot for planning our trip further. He helped us to book the different option and honestly suggested/recommended different options. Thanks buddy for helping. I recommend this hotel and its very budget too. Only negative point is internet is available only at central location not in every room.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights in a privet room and we liked it. The place need update, specially in the bathroom.
Well equipped kitchen and halpfull staff. Great loction, not on the main road of La Furtona, 2-3 minutes by foot, quiet street.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2016

We stayed at Hotel Dorothy for 3 nights using it as our base to visit the Volcan Arenal and the Hot springs (which were very good).

We booked this place on Expedia and got a double room, en-suite with view of Volcan Arenal for $US 82 for 3 nights.

We are backpacking our way through Central America so are not very fussy and Hotel Dorothy met our expectations fully.
The place was reasonably clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the shower was very powerful and hot. The room came with towels included.

The kitchen area was big and there were all the utensils you might need to cook a meal if you do not want to go out every evening as it can be quite expensive around Costa rica and La Fortuna. There is a large supermarket around the corner near the bus station where you can get all you need. In La Fortuna you can pretty much walk anywhere within minutes. So from the hotel you were right in the central square within 5 minutes.

We did not have much to do with the staff there but the receptionist spoke good English on check in and check out. They can also help you book tours.

The WIFI was really good. They also have a TV downstairs in the terrace bit where you can watch cable TV.

If you are looking for a basic budget place to stay in a double room with a hot shower to return to after a long day out this is definitely a great place and we would strongly recommend it.

This is not a place to socialise and make friends really. When we were there only a few people were staying there and everyone kept to themselves.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out to Volcan Arenal.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple