Arenal Bungalows(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$45
Hotel El Silencio del Campo(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$150
US$147
Arenal Country Inn(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$74
US$72
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$169
US$92
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Container Hostel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$27
US$26
Orbitz.com
ApartHotel Tierra del Fuego(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$95
Orbitz.com
Arenal Backpackers Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$38
Allamanda Rooms(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$25
Nayara Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$563
1,437 results
All reviewshot springscosta ricarocking chairssuperior roomzip liningthermal poolswet barresident slothfront porchprivate cabinswim up bargreat view of the volcanoair conditioningbeautiful groundsbreakfast buffetregular poolreception area
Reviewed 13 June 2018

My adult daughter and I stayed two nights at this location. I booked this hotel because I wanted us to use hotsprings but did not want to do a daytrip. I wanted freedom to wander from the hot springs back to our room for a nap instead of cramming all of my hot springs soaking time into one day trip visit. This hotel was definitely at the lower end if the price range for a hotel that has hot springs and resort type activities.

We enjoyed the privacy and quiet of our own cottage. The hot springs were relaxing, clean and attractive.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The laundry service offered a good price, which came in handy when I slipped in stable mud during a horseback outing.

On the other hand, the grounds have seen better days. There was grime in corners of the room where the toe moulding was deteriorating. The curtain that pulled across the glass door to our cottage constantly got tangled in the door, probably because the curtains were meant to go in front of a sliding glass door, not a door that opens on hinges. The room was clean but had an over power antiseptic scent when we arrived. In general the room was outdated. The roofs of the main buildings where the restaurant and reception are desperately need to be replaced. The changing room for the pool and springs is really shabby and depressing. Most of all, there were few meal options that were lower than $20 at the restaurant. There were a few cold sandwiches, burgers, and spaghetti that were affordable, but for the most part, people who can afford to pay the prices commanded by the restaurant would probably pay higher prices for a room and stay at one of the newer resorts.

The food quality at the hotel was very good. I ordered sea bass and it was cooked to perfection, not overcooked. The salads are gorgeous... works of art really. The avocado salad is amazing. The breakfast has a wide variety of food. I do think, however, that the hotel should consider downgrading the restaurant to a price point that is in line with the age and condition of the hotel. A less pretentious, casual diner/cafe/family style restaurant would feel more appropriate for the clientel served by the hotel (myself included).

All in all, we were happy with our stay, very happy with the level of service provided by the staff, and happy with the hot springs. I do think if we ever do this trip again, I will plan a one night stay at springs, but spring for a hotel in better condition.

It is very important to note, however, that they are doing renovations. I believe they are aware of repairs and renovations that need to be done and are working towards updating the property.

Room Tip: There are cottages closer to the hot springs on the property that appear to be newer. Consider booking one of those.
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2018

On arrival we were stopped at a barrier which is only 25 metres from the entrance to reception. The gateman took almost 10 minutes to check our names we were two parties of three people , the reception was not particularly welcoming rather like someone talking to children rather than guests. We were told that if we wanted to have dinner we had to book as the hotel was very busy and otherwise we would not get in. In fact when we had dinner there were only 8 other people in the restaurant so this was a blatant lie. The menu is bizarre several main courses priced at over 50 pounds plus service and some more reasonably priced dishes but overall too expensive for the standard of service given.The bar has only four stools and no other seating and we had to go here to receive a welcome drink, why this could not be served in reception is any bodies guess. The swimming pool is in fact little more than a plunge pool two strokes from one end to another and hardly suitable for a complex of this size. There are many notices about the importance environmental issues including saving water, but our bathroom had no plug in the sink! When we left we were told to give a piece of paper with our names on to the gateman. But he refused to accept it as it had not been signed by the reception, quite ridiculous and indicative of an hotel trying to be something it is a mile away from.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank PaulCourt_13
Reviewed 5 June 2018

First, the view of Arenal is stunning. From my cabin (and if no clouds were in the way), I could see the volcano angrily rising from the ground. It's close enough you can clearly see where lava has recently blazed a trail through the greenery.

The hot springs are OK. It's more accurate to describe them as warm springs. The bar at the bottom of the springs was nicely priced and made decent cocktails.

Breakfast is included in the package and it's easy to decide to stay for lunch or dinner. It's a pretty good mix of comida tipica and more American-familiar fare. People who are both more and less food adventurous will find something.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with bathrooms that are satisfying in size, if somewhat lacking in frills. The porch in the front and back is nice. At sunset, we could look down on the valley and hear the local howling monkeys exchange pleasantries.

The biggest drawback here is the location. Paraiso is pretty isolated; if you want to go anywhere off the resort, you need to arrange transportation.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2018

This was the first stop on our family vacation. The grounds and rooms were modest & clean, beds comfortable,people friendly, restaurant and drinks were a bit more than expected however the breakfast was included and very good. The bathrooms were not up to date and small. The pineapple was amazing! It rained daily on our stay but didn't interfere with our activities. The hot springs onsite were good- could have been a little warmer. They were doing a lot of construction around the swim up bar so we didn't get a chance to use it and it was very small - seated maybe 6 people. I would go back and stay due to the views and location. Mr Wilberth who worked in the restaurant was extremely welcoming and very knowledgeable. Thank you for all the local recommendations as well as in Tamarindo!

Room Tip: Excellent views
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

I made a last minute reservation through Expedia and did not let me get into the room I have paid because their system was not showing the reservation. I did mention that they can take my credit card and make a new reservation if needed as we have been driving for hours and just wanted to rest. Front desk agent asked to wait 5 minutes as they were processing our reservation, 10 minutes have passed and I am still waiting at the lobby waiting for my room already paid.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Rebeca V, Gerente at Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Hello Alejandra,
We glad that you have chosen our hotel for your staying. It's our goal to each of our guests enjoy our facilities at the best way and get the best service from our staff. When a last minute reservation come to our system, has an individual proces and sometimes take time. However our purpose it's to get better and better and we use the reviews of our clientes to make it. Because of this we will say thanks!

We also hope that the rest of your staying had been a nice experience!