All reviews arenal volcano lavash hot water active volcano grounds are beautiful ef tub wildlife
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Quite frankly I've stayed in better hostels
The website is very misleading..I'm sure the hotel was lovely when it was built, but it's in desperate need of an overhaul, The rooms were dirty and tired, the beds had the thinnest mattresses and overwashed sheets, and the bathroom was awful - broken sink, broken tiles... parts were literally falling off!
There are no open restaurant, bar or shop facilities; they serve breakfast in the morning for a short time - generally when the big tour group is departing - and if you miss this, despite being within breakfast opening times - good luck! We were presented with a pile of warmed-up, leftover bits and pieces on a single plate, and when I said I was Gluten Free, thought it perfectly acceptable to scrape some of the items off in front of me, then re-present the plate.
The staff we did find to speak to were sullen and rude
It's also some distance (ie need a car or taxi) to get into town
It may well have been a nice place 20+years ago, the views of the volcano and garden are very nice, but I wouldn't stay there if it were free

Room Tip: Don't bother! If you really have to stay choose the rooms over the chalets as they are in better (but not great) conditions
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Humberto A, eCommerce Manager at Hotel Lavas Tacotal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Dear Jacquie

We are sorry there were problems with the room assigned, we listen to all our clients and work based on your observations to offer always the best service and facilities.

Given the opportunity, we'd love to serve you again and correct whatever was wrong during your previews visit.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed here with our EF group. The views and grounds are beautiful. Rooms are spacious, air worked, showers were nice. The staff was very gracious and the food fabulous. We booked massages next door with were also great. Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Humberto A, eCommerce Manager at Hotel Lavas Tacotal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Dear Reagen

Thank you for reviewing us, we are happy to see you had a great time while staying with us. We are in constant renewal and improvement, we listen to you, our clients' and work based on your suggestions to offer always the best service.

We thank you again for your comments and send you warm greetings.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

The hotel is fine. The view is great the rooms are clean. The service is great... The google map is wrong (TripAdvisor map is correct). The google maps show the hotel being in the town. It is NOWHERE near town. You NEED a car. We are BIG on walking and cannot walk to town. The website which uses google maps is very deceiving. I have submitted a correction for this. We were very let down when we saw how far out of la Fortuna we were located.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Humberto A, eCommerce Manager at Hotel Lavas Tacotal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Dear Matt

Thank you for rating us and sharing details of your stay with all of us. We are happy to see you had a pleasant stay and that our services and facilities were of your liking.

We have checked and got in contact with google regarding your observation. Thank you for letting us know.

Best regards.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

I have never come to a hotel with 7 guests and have a receptionist tell me at 5 pm, she has to see if there is a room for me.
When I point out that is 5 pm and have a meeting for another activity with no courtesy at all she just said it’s not her problem that I had to wait because they have many clients.
If a hotel overbooks shouldn’t they at least show courtesy? Well no. She just took the phone finished her call and said to the next client how can I help you? Just ignoring my need.
Honestly the hotel might have a nice pool, excellent spa service, but there is no second chance for a first impression and that is how the receptionist “”well-comes””

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Humberto A, other at Hotel Lavas Tacotal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2018

Dear client

We are always very careful and do not overbook thinking on our clients' We know is very complicated to be altering the travel plans of our customers. This was not your case though, we did have a room available for you and was assigned promptly.

Our staff will always try to acommodate our clients as soon as possible, the satisfaction of all our clients is our top priority. We are sad to see this review when we spoke directly to you and the company you represent and everythign was fine.

Best regards

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a group tour. The view was absolutely beautiful and the staff very friendly. The rooms were clean, but could definitely use some updating. The mattresses look like they were from the 1980s and felt like it too. The water pressure in the shower was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. The water didn't even wet my hair. I had to rinse of using a cup from the tub spout the went straight down along the tub. I couldn't even put my head under the spout due to the flow of the tub.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Humberto A, eCommerce Manager at Hotel Lavas Tacotal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing details of your stay with all of us here on TripAdvisor. Is for us very important to hear about our clients´ experiences, we listen to every observation and work on them to be able to offer a better service every day.

We are glad you had a good stay and that our staff helped make this happen.

We would love to be able to serve you again in the future and correct whatever was wrong during your fist visit.

Best regards.