Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews hummingbird feeders family style other guests main building great birding costa rica species of birds birding lodges meal times amazing birds friendly atmosphere bird song wheel drive bird watching bird life food is excellent rice
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 March 2021

Food was some of the best I've ever eaten anywhere.
Staff was extraordinarily friendly, accomodating, covid-conscious (safe), and knowledgeable about where to go within and beyond Rancho to see our target birds.
Wish I had time for a yoga class.
Birds were truly incredible. Great sheltered birding from the upper deck of the lodge during the rain and extensive trails to hike in fair weather.
Rooms were very nice, clean, spacious.
Even if I hated birds I would love this place.

Date of stay: December 2020
Reviewed 3 March 2021

I absolutely loved my trip to Rancho Naturalista. Within two days of staying there, I saw around 70 species of birds. The trails are well maintained, the rooms are absolutely beautiful, and the birds are amazing. Harry and Mercedez were really understanding and absolutely excellent birders who made my trip even better. Have to say I was not expecting to get the number of birds that I did there. Thank you so much. Hope I can return.

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2020

We loved our stay here, the setting is fantastic, the food is unbelievable and the birds are spectacular.
I would also like to mention Harry and Mercedes whose bird and general wildlife knowledge is excellent, I went out with them on two occasions seeing many new birds each time. I would say Rancho and the surrounding area is THE place to see Snowcap and Sunbittern.

Room tip: I would say a room in the main building is preferable
Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank philandalison24
Reviewed 16 April 2020

Our room (2) was in the main building opening onto a large communal veranda and was very nice. The other rooms around the main building looked very good too. There is a coffee machine on the go there which is very welcome when birding at 5am! The meals are announced by the ringing of a bell. The food is freshly prepared and very good. Be sure to mention in advance if you do not eat meat though. Take a walk down the steep track to Rancho Baja to watch snowcap hummingbirds and the rest. Harry & Mercedes are excellent guides and it is well worth getting them to take you out to see the sun bittern and more. Lisar & Nicky are excellent hosts. Charlie seems to be general factotum, and I am sorry I don't remember the chef's name. All are lovely. When we left we were the last guests staying there before the Rancho closed because of the Covid 19 which is very sad. When all this is over we will be back!

Date of stay: April 2020
Lisa Erb, General Manager at Rancho Naturalista, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2020

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was sad to close due to the Pandemic of the Coronavirus/Covid 19 virus. The travel industry has been hit very hard, but we hope that soon it will all be over and we can have guests at Rancho Naturalista once again.

Reviewed 11 April 2020

Although this lodge is ideal for birders, I would strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in wildlife and spectacular scenery - the location is beautiful and despite not looking for anything in particular I saw well in excess of fifty species of bird, plus squirrels, coati and tayra during my stay of two days. The hummingbirds visiting the feeders were amazing. As I have found elsewhere in Costa Rica, hiring a guide enables you to see so much more and I have again found their knowledge of the wildlife and where it may be found, most impressive.
The lodge is very well run, and all the staff were friendly and helpful. Eating with a group of other guests, and guides, worked really well, and the food was excellent. My accommodation, in the newly-refurbished Tinamou cabin (Room 13), suited me perfectly.

Room tip: Room 13 (up a short slope opposite the lodge) is not as shown on the website, but has been refurbished and is delightful.
Date of stay: March 2020
Lisa Erb, General Manager at Rancho Naturalista, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2020

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! So many birds and without looking too hard! We are happy that you really enjoyed your stay at Rancho Naturalista and that it lived up to your high expetations!