Spent one week in March at the resort. Sunny and warm every day with nice breezes. Reading all the reviews on trip advisor in advance made a big difference in enjoying the trip. The resort does not do the best job in explaining how all the activities work, but we figured it all out in a day or two. We took other travelers advice and asked for a room near the pool and restaurants. We (husband and myself) had a room past the pool, building one, very quiet, and found the location very convenient.
I wish I knew sooner to get an activity list for the week at the activities desk. There are several nice daily activities that are complimentary. I enjoyed yoga at the beach and water aerobics at the pool. The fitness guy Jorjay (spelling? George) taught all the classes and was great.
There are other activities like arts and crafts too but we never had time. The hotel leaves a daily schedule in your room, but this arrives very inconsistently so just ask for the weekly schedule at the activity desk at the pool.
We took other travelers advice and booked excursions from Erik Garcia (on the beach, just go out to the beach near the kayaks). He was excellent. His trips were well priced and he will give good advice. My favorite was the 2 hour ATV sunset ride. Just me and my husband with a friendly guide Papai (spelling?). ($50 per person) Guide stopped along the way to show us a cashew tree and we sampled the fruit, saw howler monkeys, volcanic rocks on the beach and other spots of interest. At the end we drove the ATVs to the little town of Brasalito and saw the sunset from there. Papai was very helpful in instructing us in the use of the ATVs and the trip seemed very safe. We had Erik arrange two other trips for us, the Tempisque River to see the wildlife, and the zip line trip. Both were very good. The drive to the zip line is very bumpy on dirt roads for about 45 minutes but worth the trip. OUr river guide Jeffrey made sure that we saw capuchin monkeys and many crocodiles. We went very early in the morning because the animals are resting in the afternoon. We fed the monkeys banana slices and they climbed all over the boat. Very entertaining and great photo op.
Overall the hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Waitress service was inconsistent but the food was pretty good. We made dinner reservations at each of the restaurants the day we arrived and had no trouble getting 8 PM reservations each day. We loved the buffet breakfast at Mitra and the made to order pizza at the pool, every day from 12 to 6 PM.
The nightly show at 9 PM is very hokey but we went anyway and appreciated how hard the 5 or 6 dancers worked to make the show engaging each night.
Bring plenty of sunblock. The toiletries in the gift shop are quite overpriced.
Pool area is beautiful, plenty of chaises but on windy days when we were not allowed to use the umbrellas a bit hard to find shade. Great swim-up bar at the pool with fun tropical drinks and full bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Costa Rica