Cabinas Las Olas(Playa Avellanas)
US$97
US$83
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$80
US$304
US$175
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$220/night.

Hotel Casa Blanca Tamarindo(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$40
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$48/night.

Tamarindo Inn(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$48
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$34
Cabinas Zullymar(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$60
Cabinas La Playa(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$85
Antema Lodge(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$55
TripAdvisor
All reviewscooking classspa treatmentsother guestssunset massagecouples massageour honeymoonbody scrubromantic dinneramazing spaheaven and earthopen airqueen roomcucumber limeminute massagecommunal tablecosta ricavolcanic mud wrap
Reviewed 31 January 2012

It would be so easy to write "ditto" here, because everything the other 300+ reviewers have said about Los Altos is true. We will just try to add our insights to what everyone else has offered about this magical oasis.

My wife and I spent 5 nights in the Suite of Los Altos de Eros this past week - on our honeymoon.

-We met our driver Francisco at the Liberia Airport after spending three days exploring the Arenal Volcano region. He greeted us with a smile, handed me a beer, and it just went from there. We traveled back from the airport with another couple who had stayed previously, and booked their next stay before they even left the year before.

-We showed up with three days of clothing that was covered in dirt, grime, and everything imaginable from our hiking and canyoning prior to our arrival. The day after we checked in it was all washed, pressed, folded, and waiting in our room. They did that every day after this, and we went home with suitcases full of clean clothes.

-The Honeymoon suite is absolutely worth it. Grab it if it is available. We were on top of the world with our private balcony, and it was so well decorated, laid out, and designed. Many pieces of the owner's personal glass collection are laid out around the room. We saw the other rooms and they are very nice as well... but that suite is just mindblowing.

-We had a private driver for everything. Any time we wanted to go somewhere, they would have one of their drivers take us, arrange a time, and pick us up. One of the other couples with us said all of the people who "had to walk" back to their hotels after a sailboat ride couldn't believe our hotel did that for us.

-When we went down to the beach, they handed us a bag with water, towels, etc. to take with us. They think of everything.

-The spa is fantastic. The treatments were heavily discounted for us because we were staying as guests of Los Altos... so we really indulged ourselves. The 90 minute massage I got (twice) was the best I've ever had.

-I had mentioned I wanted to go snorkeling but wasn't sure of the conditions. Tatiana at the desk called a few dive shops while we were getting ready, and found out where to go and when to do it. We didn't ask her. She just did things like that. That is how this place works.

-They have contact with anything you may want to do. We wanted to get some dinner in town, and they recommended a restaurant. They booked for us, and when we got there we had the best seats, right on the beach.

-The place has a gorgeous open kitchen, and I love to cook. I had to go out of my way to reassure the kitchen staff that I actually liked cutting my own limes that I picked from the trees outside... because they seriously don't want you to have to do anything.

-There is a ton of fresh fruit that grows around the property. Most of it ends up in fresh smoothies made throughout the day.

-Los Altos turns out to be a tremendous value. When you take the cost of the room, and run it against the meals, drinks, transport to and from the airport and a rental car to drive around in... as well as all of the other perks - its really a no brainer. I likened it to spending a week at a really rich uncle's house ;)

-There are two beaches close to Los Altos. One is Tamarindo, and it has shops, restaurants, and is pretty lively. The other is Avellanas (sp?)... and it has one casual restaurant (which is great), and is otherwise devoid of development. Its a perfect, beautiful, clean, warm, sandy Pacific beach.

-There is a three to one staff to guest ratio, and it shows. Even with that, a lot of people have multiple roles... so I shouldn't have been surprised when the gentleman that drove our van a couple of times - very nice silent type - was also the person who made our fresh cinnamon rolls in the morning... and they were the best we'd ever had.

-There are at most four other couples there. You can certainly be off on your own - there is enough room - but it was great to be around that small of a group of people... it was very intimate and warm. I also strongly believe that for the most part, the people who come to Los Altos are cut from a similar cloth, and we got along great with our fellow travelers.

-This is a fantastic place for "foodies." The bulk of what is served is locally sourced. The fish shows up on ice from local fishermen. The beef and poultry is local, and you can see all of the cattle farms in the area. There are so many great fruits around. All of the food is prepared very simply and cleanly without adding so much that the flavor or integrity of the meal is lost. While most of the time seeing "typica" cuisine is just a pile of rice and beans - they really go a long way to bring some fantastic flavors to the table.

-Sometimes I'd just be standing in the middle of the common area. The owner would wander out, look at me, and tell me to eat a cookie. They make these insanely delicious macadamia nut cookies that have to be kissed by unicorns. I always ate my cookie. I'd like one right now.

-As Calvin, the owner will say, it is the staff that makes the place, and I wholeheartedly agree. Yanina and Tatiana run the show and took care of us from our first contact through check-out. We made a great friend in Francisco - the driver, handyman, and local cultural historian who taught us so much about Costa Rica, and showed so much pride in his country. The kitchen staff were fantastic, their food was great, and I know I threw them some curveballs by making iced coffee and insisting on picking my own fruit - but they were great. Everyone is just so very warm and inviting and most of all - it is real. Its not the fake, forced smiles you get at a lot of "resorts." Its not someone fishing for a tip. It is genuine pride in their work. So many of the employees have worked there for several year, and apparently there is no turnover. This says a lot to us.

-I cannot echo the sentiment enough... its the perfect place to do everything, or nothing at all.

I have nothing negative to say about this place, other than that it will spoil you and cause you to set unreasonable expectations on any place you may travel in the future. We love to travel and travel the world. We have yet to visit a place that we "have to" return to, but by the time we were on the plane we were already trying to figure out when we could come back.

Don't hesitate - just book it.

Room Tip: If the Suite is available, just go for it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SummerTom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Joseph & Kelly stayed from 01-24-2012/01-29-2012

My wife and I just came back from our honeymoon last night and I couldn't wait to write this review. The service we experienced at the property was 5 Star all the way. From the couples spa and dinner to the daily laundry service provided free of charge we could not find one complaint about this establishment. Everyone from the drivers to the cooks made you feel at home and they cater to your every need. The property is pristine and situated atop a beautiful mountain with breathtaking views. There are 5 rooms on the property with about 25 professionally trained staff to make your experience a memorable one. The owner Calvin is very warm and hospitable and he really cares about the quality of service that his guests receive. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Costa Rica for there honeymoon or just to get away for a romantic trip!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joseph L
Reviewed 23 January 2012

After staying a lovely few days at a local B&B closer to town, I arrived at Los Altos. It was magnificent. I love mountains and the view was beautiful getting to see all the flowers and mountains and the ocean in the distance. The food was delicious and varied - chicken in a coconut curry (I dont like curry but I liked this very much), sweet plantains with ice cream, spagetti, caesar salad, breakfasts included cereal and granola, egg dishes (I dont eat eggs but was told these were really good), fresh fruit, juice and other treats like rice and beans. If you are still hungry (and really just because you can), take advantage of the anytime-you-want-smoothie policy. Sipping a fruity concoction while lounging by the pool in gorgeous sunshine with such views - wow! Homeade cookies, soft drinks, beer, wine, wafers...it's a good thing there's great hiking to burn off some calories! Spa services were discounted for hotel guests (my oatmeal scrub smelled breakfasty-delicious and left my skin feeling fantastico). Clean laundry every day. What else do you need? How about good service - well you'll get it. From the top down - Calvin the owner, Francisco, one of the drivers with a stellar personality, the lovely ladies at the "front desk", everyone working in the kitchen and behind the scenes - they were very friendly with a happy-to-do attitude and big smiles. It was fun to practice my Spanish, although the managers are fluent in English. I would have extended my stay if logistically I could. I was very sad to leave. I would definitely go back. Now if only I can get them to send me some of those cookies :)!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jill567
Reviewed 22 January 2012

21 Jan 2012 - what an experience. Pura Vida at its best. private car service to/from, pleasant therapists, soaking tub, delicious chocolate body scrub, 90-min massage and a relaxing facial ... how good does it get. Sister had massage, pedicure and a cucumber & honey facial .... book your trip as soon as you can .. you'll be happy you did! Pura Vida.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eileen D
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We have not stayed at Los Altos but we have been to the day spa twice. It features three treatments and a light lunch with wine. It is an incomparable outdoor setting and the staff are superb.
It is not easy to find so getting detailed directions is a must.

• Stayed: January 2012