“Vast menu, great wine options, great ambiance”
Review of Il Cavallino

Il Cavallino
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We are a family of four with two teen boys and we were on vacation when visiting this restaurant. We have a variety of tastes, but we all like different kids of Italian food. We started with soups. The mushroom soup and the onion soup were amazing. The soups were also very large - more like a bowl size portion than a cup. I ended up sharing my mushroom soup with my teen son. We also tried the carpaccio Trimare - which was a cold fish dish. The adults liked this and the kids did not even though one likes sushi. My pasta lover got the espagueti al crustache - which was spaghetti with various seafoods. It was great for the pasta lover. Two of us got the covena cardinal - which was sea bass with mushroom and shrimp. It was excellent. All of the meals were very filling and we did not have room for dessert. We were able to select a bottle of wine from their open cellar. They didn't have a wine list, but the cellar had a good selection and options. The servers English was limited, but we were able to get by with our small amount of Spanish (2-4 years in high school 20+ years ago). Overall, it was a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

While this restaurant was expensive (we actually found most food seemed expensive throughout our trip to Costa Rica) the italian food was very tasty.

The pizzas were very large for one person and we all took a slice or two home in a doggy bag. Seafood pasta was huge. The focaccia bread was more like thin baked pita chips and were too dry (slightly overcooked?).

Gin drinks from the attached bar were very smooth and quite large = tasty!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I had a great meal and really enjoyed the atmosphere. Location is actually divided into three sections, Pura Brasa, Gin Bar and IL Cavallino. I sat on the Pura Brasa side, but the waitress brought both menus, and I am glad she did! She was so helpful and really took time to be sure I understood the menu (which was in Spanish) and had several recommendations. I had a 300-gm filet with shiitake mushroom sauce that was out of this world delicious. I will definitely be back again and highly recommended this establishment (especially if staying at the Marriott next door because you can just walk).

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

amazing itallian food out of Italy. My fav is the seafood spaghetti.
Must try and pizza are killer. Must visit

Reviewed 11 March 2018

We had dinner a few times here as it was very close to our hotel (easy walk from the Marriott), and the food was really good. All of the dishes we tried were very good, and some of the pizzas were excellent. The service was very good as well.