Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$99
La Perla del Caribe(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$99
Playa 506(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$53
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$109
La Finca Chica(Cocles)(Great Value!)
US$95
La Kukula Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$110
US$105
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Casa Moabi(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$53
Orbitz.com
Caribe Town(Cocles)
US$115
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$74
All reviewscommunal kitchenthe ownerpuerto viejovery clean hotelmonths in central americaquiet at nightceiling fanthe location is perfectstayed here for nightsa great staywould definitely stay here againbeautiful junglepauloalmareceptionisttownnets
Reviewed 9 February 2016

In our hotel in San Jose we found a brochure for the Cabinas Guarana, liked it and decided to try it - good decision. No trouble with booking the rooms via internet (upon arrival we even got a small discount for paying cash).
The room - including a small safe - was spacious, bright and clean. So was the bathroom, as well as the frotn porch, outfitted with a table, chairs and a hammock. A secure parking lot was also available as well as internet etc. Kitchen, common room and reception were also very clean, the staff was friendly and helpful.
Admittingly not the cheapest place we stayed during our time in Costa Rica, but you get pretty much everything you would want from a hostel in a de luxe version and that is what you pay for. Absolutely justified.
The only annoying thing during our stay was rather a matter of being prepared: the mosquitos seem to be attracted to Porto Viejo, make sure to bring some repellant - during the night you will have a mosquito net over your bed for the hostel IS prepared.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2016

My vacation there was actually in October 2012, but back then I didn't know what was Tripadvisor and now I have taken the initiative to write smth :)
Oh my god, I will never ever forget that vacation. OK, let's start from San Jose - I took a bus from there to Puerto Viejo. We traveled through a national park, it was all sooo green, sometimes foggy. There is a story, if you get lost in there and die, people will never find you because your body decomposes too fast :D
I remember I booked Guarana because of fair prices and nice looking rooms. When I arrived to my destination, there was an Italian that directed me to the hotel, lovely guy with an ice cream shop :) The entrance was so beautiful, all green and colourful! At the reception, Paulo welcomed me - again an Italian :D And the owner was Italian too! Haha, I loved them, they were so full of life, easy going, great company and we had the same sense of humor. I think 90% of your vacation consists of people you are surrounded with, and this is why I am so grateful for this one. Simply great people.
As for the room, it was great, simple, with a net over the bed and a hammock in front of the room. Nice colours too. I don't remember other details. I didn't spend much time in the room.
The public kitchen was cool for me, you put your food there in the storage and cook whatever you want! It was very spacious.
The common area was beautiful, you can lie down on a sofa, 2 stairs down it's a dining area, and everything is covered with a wooden roof, but it's open space so that gives you a spacious feeling.
In the street across there is a souvenir shop and a bicycle rent. 3$ a day or something like that... Just take a bike and follow the main road...you will find some interesting things like yoga class up in the hill, in the forest :)

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

These folks are friendly, helpful and totally accommodating. The rooms are pleasant las is the property. It's far enough from the beach so you can get good sleep at night without loud music. A small patio with a hammock is perfect for lazing and enjoying the greenery and local fauna (lots of lizards and birds). I saw a review that said something about "for the price" they expected better? Seriously?! I was very impressed with the personal nature of my interactions with owners, staff and other guests and the place is beyond reasonably priced. A nice find in a great spot!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2016

Very calm place and close to everything, very clean, excellent attention and very polite people. Share kitchen well equipped and clean, fridge to store food. WiFi with a decent speed but low range only works in the lobby area.

Stayed: January 2016
Reviewed 9 January 2016

I absolutely loved my 4 nights in Cabinas Guarana. It was a perfect choice for me. I arrived by Mepe bus from San Jose so it was great to just have a 2 block walk to find it.
It had everything I needed - comfy bed, clean, bathroom with warm water from the shower, mosquito net, ceiling fan, safe, balcony with verandah. space in bathroom for toiletries, desk/chair & the wifi even reached my room (room 1 which was close to reception). The communal kitchen was good with free coffee available.

Reception & kitchen closes at 9 pm.

The kitchen could do with being opened a bit earlier than 7 am. However, there is a key left in the back door to the kitchen so if you have an early start/departure you could still get your stuff.

It is in a quiet location & is set in beautiful gardens.

I'd come back in a shot & am happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 1 - wifi reached the room & verandah
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo