“I`d stay here every time I was in PV”
Review of Hotel Guarana

Hotel Guarana
Reviewed 23 May 2016

Cabinas Guarana is simply great. A chill, no hassle atmosphere, quiet setting a block from the beach and center of town, relatively inexpensive ($30 a night for a private room), clean, comfy, and a shower I wasn`t afraid to use. The staff is so friendly and they rent bicycles by the day so you can get to the nicer beaches a bit south of town more easily (really just getting around more easily, period). On top of the private room, each room has a patio area loaded with local fauna and I watched every type of creature come visit me from the hammock that was also part of it all. They have a central water filter to make the tap water drinkable, plus separate filters to make it taste good. WiFi is free and the signal was plenty for me to be able to watch movies as well as upload a few YouTube videos I made while I was there. I would (will) stay there again next time I`m in PV. **Oh, and it`s super close to the bus stop if you take the bus in from San Jose**

Room Tip: rooms 6, 7 and 8 seemed to be the quietest area.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Voodoo J

Reviewed 19 April 2016 via mobile

We stayed here in April and found the room to be quite large and clean with hot water, ceiling fan and private terrace complete with hammock. There was a double and a single bed in our room both with mosquito nets. The staff were friendly and rooms were cleaned and towels replaced daily. There is a shared kitchen - this could do with a bit of a scrub but apart from that, all good.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this nice little gem of a hotel. The cabins are very clean, a good size, pleasantly decorated, comfortable and quiet.

Many rooms (ours did) feature a cute private terrace with a hammock , table and chairs. Great spot for morning coffee and afternoon Happy Hour.

The shared kitchen is well maintained and clean, it's nice that each cabin has their own labeled shelf to store food. Morning coffee was made for us by the staff - a nice surprise (just bring your own milk if needed). The shared fridge is a bit cluttered.

The staff here is absolutely wonderful. Hugo, Jerome and Alma took great care of us. Hugo really went the extra mile to make us feel welcome.

The hotel is located just off the Main Street, but it's super quiet and offers a safe comfortable sleeping environment. Doors lock at 9 PM, but guests have access with their key, to come and go as they please.

Location is great - It's only about 600 metres to the beach!

I would stay here again and highly recommend it.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2016

In our hotel in San Jose we found a brochure for the Cabinas Guarana, liked it and decided to try it - good decision. No trouble with booking the rooms via internet (upon arrival we even got a small discount for paying cash).
The room - including a small safe - was spacious, bright and clean. So was the bathroom, as well as the frotn porch, outfitted with a table, chairs and a hammock. A secure parking lot was also available as well as internet etc. Kitchen, common room and reception were also very clean, the staff was friendly and helpful.
Admittingly not the cheapest place we stayed during our time in Costa Rica, but you get pretty much everything you would want from a hostel in a de luxe version and that is what you pay for. Absolutely justified.
The only annoying thing during our stay was rather a matter of being prepared: the mosquitos seem to be attracted to Porto Viejo, make sure to bring some repellant - during the night you will have a mosquito net over your bed for the hostel IS prepared.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2016

My vacation there was actually in October 2012, but back then I didn't know what was Tripadvisor and now I have taken the initiative to write smth :)
Oh my god, I will never ever forget that vacation. OK, let's start from San Jose - I took a bus from there to Puerto Viejo. We traveled through a national park, it was all sooo green, sometimes foggy. There is a story, if you get lost in there and die, people will never find you because your body decomposes too fast :D
I remember I booked Guarana because of fair prices and nice looking rooms. When I arrived to my destination, there was an Italian that directed me to the hotel, lovely guy with an ice cream shop :) The entrance was so beautiful, all green and colourful! At the reception, Paulo welcomed me - again an Italian :D And the owner was Italian too! Haha, I loved them, they were so full of life, easy going, great company and we had the same sense of humor. I think 90% of your vacation consists of people you are surrounded with, and this is why I am so grateful for this one. Simply great people.
As for the room, it was great, simple, with a net over the bed and a hammock in front of the room. Nice colours too. I don't remember other details. I didn't spend much time in the room.
The public kitchen was cool for me, you put your food there in the storage and cook whatever you want! It was very spacious.
The common area was beautiful, you can lie down on a sofa, 2 stairs down it's a dining area, and everything is covered with a wooden roof, but it's open space so that gives you a spacious feeling.
In the street across there is a souvenir shop and a bicycle rent. 3$ a day or something like that... Just take a bike and follow the main road...you will find some interesting things like yoga class up in the hill, in the forest :)

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends