I can't say much about this hotel because I never really got to stay there. What I can say is that I wouldn't trust them and I don't recommend them.
I made a reservation several months ahead of my visit. And we drove for 8 hours to get to this hotel on Christmas Eve night. When we got there, someone else was in our room and they had no place for us to stay. I was frustrated. So (to give them some credit) they paid "70%" of my hotel stay at another place they found for me. The place they sent us to was called Jacaranda. And I didn't like it very much. (It was located on a dark and stony road, near impoverished houses, and this made us uncomfortable to walk to at night.) We would have gone somewhere else, but it seemed like there would be few vacancies at dusk on Christmas Eve night. So, we dealt with it.
If you do stay at Guarana, or any place in the town of Puerto Viejo proper, always double check your reservations a few days before your visit. If you don't, you might get screwed and not have a place to stay, or not have a good place to stay. I think if you stay outside of Puerto Viejo, at places along Playa Cocles or Punta Uva, this is less likely to happen. Any high quality hotel should honor your reservation. You get what you pay for.
I don't want to sound judgmental, because what people want to do with their lives is their business, but we struggled to enjoy ourselves in the town of Puerto Viejo because of the overt drug dealing we saw just about everywhere. I loved the stretch of road outside of the town towards Manzanillo. It's much safer there and not as busy. But, Puerto Viejo is bustling with people including many tourists, and it seemed like, hundreds of stoners and other strung out people. It kind of freaked us out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Guarana is a small hotel full of colors and good energy. We have 12 rooms individually ,uniquely decorated. We are situated in one of the most quiet and central streets in Puerto Viejo, 200 m. only steps to beach and restaurants. The hotel is safe, private and set in a lush tropical garden of flowers and fauna. Services include; Wireless, Laundry, Safe in room, Parking, communal kitchen totally equipped. English, Spanish, French & Italian spoken. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Guarana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Guarana Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Hotel Guarana Costa Rica/Limon