“Great people, great service, great rooms, great place!”
Review of Hotel Guarana

Hotel Guarana
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by how charming this place was because the price was so reasonable. The reception area has been beautifully done by the owner and is very inviting. The rooms are very bright and large with very clean bathrooms. What really makes this place though are the people who run it. Everyone who works there are courteous and very helpful when booking tours. We were there when there was quite a bit of rain and we still found a lot to do because of their suggestions.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2010

Simple rooms set in tropical gardens which provide some privacy from other guests while providing a pretty outlook while relaxing on your verandah. Rooms are kept very clean as well as community areas & shared kitchen. Complimentary coffee & free wifi in the lobby. Good location easy access to town but far enough away to ensure a tranquil setting. The staff are just terrific full of lots of info & smiles. Just mentioned that I didn't have the right plug adaptor & the whole staff dropped everything until they found me one.

Reviewed 12 January 2010

Cabinas Guarana is the best place we've stayed on our entire trip. The staff has been incredibly helpful booking tours, helping us get around town, even helping us to get our money back after a tour company gave us the wrong pickup time. The place is beautifully decorated with mosaics made by one of the owners. Both of the owners are lovely! Their son, his wife, and their daugter were working the hotel when we were there, so it created a wonderful family environment. We felt totally at home. We went to Bocas del Toro in Panama for part of our trip but came back early so we could spend some more time in Puerto Viejo, in large part because of our positive experience at Cabinas Guarana.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I can't say much about this hotel because I never really got to stay there. What I can say is that I wouldn't trust them and I don't recommend them.

I made a reservation several months ahead of my visit. And we drove for 8 hours to get to this hotel on Christmas Eve night. When we got there, someone else was in our room and they had no place for us to stay. I was frustrated. So (to give them some credit) they paid "70%" of my hotel stay at another place they found for me. The place they sent us to was called Jacaranda. And I didn't like it very much. (It was located on a dark and stony road, near impoverished houses, and this made us uncomfortable to walk to at night.) We would have gone somewhere else, but it seemed like there would be few vacancies at dusk on Christmas Eve night. So, we dealt with it.

If you do stay at Guarana, or any place in the town of Puerto Viejo proper, always double check your reservations a few days before your visit. If you don't, you might get screwed and not have a place to stay, or not have a good place to stay. I think if you stay outside of Puerto Viejo, at places along Playa Cocles or Punta Uva, this is less likely to happen. Any high quality hotel should honor your reservation. You get what you pay for.

I don't want to sound judgmental, because what people want to do with their lives is their business, but we struggled to enjoy ourselves in the town of Puerto Viejo because of the overt drug dealing we saw just about everywhere. I loved the stretch of road outside of the town towards Manzanillo. It's much safer there and not as busy. But, Puerto Viejo is bustling with people including many tourists, and it seemed like, hundreds of stoners and other strung out people. It kind of freaked us out.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2009

This hotel was perfect for me. The staff were fantastic, very helpful. They are obviously part of the community and can put you in touch with the local scoop as well as the tourist oriented packages. Very laid back and easy going. Room was comfortable and kept clean. Easy and safe access to town 24-7. It's in town but not on the main drag. Quiet time after 9:00 PM and no TV so if you're looking to party in your room until the wee hours this may not be your place. I really enjoyed being in town and not boxed into a more isolated self contained hotel. It makes you interact with locals and fellow travelers in the "lobby" and shared kitchen. Small town atmosphere type of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo