All reviews puerto viejo walking distance mosquito netting in town couple nights stayed one night beautiful place tropical birds bike rental restaurants and bars coffee maker easy access pura vida front porch location is great off the beaten path pata negra
Reviewed 3 May 2018

This is a fantastic place, the bungalows are beautifully designed and the grounds are incredibly tranquil & full of wildlife. We probably spent far too long just sitting on the veranda as a result! Obviously its a tropical, humid climate, but the evenings were fine as the bungalows have a good sized fan and beds are covered by a mosquito net.

The staff are all hugely helpful and friendly, and fluent English and German are spoken (maybe other languages I didn't hear as well, who knows?!).

I would also recommend the breakfast, nice and fresh. I coudl happily have stayed here a lot longer!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig B
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Beautiful and well kept. Such a welcoming arrival, when we were greeted with chilled coconuts to drink. The cabins have a nice open air feel, yet secure. Like most accommodations, we found, in Costa Rica, the seating is outside. We really enjoyed our porch, and didn't have any issues with bugs (in April). The location is great. Easy to find, and easy to walk around town. One of the nice things about Puerto Viejo, is that the businesses are scattered through the neighborhood, and not just clustered on the main road. It was also the least expensive place we stayed on our trip, but it didn't feel cheap. Clean, secure, comfortable, and convenient. It was just what we wanted.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Stayed here for the first time in 2010 again last weekend. I had hoped it was still as clean and charming as before and was not disappointed. The first visit, we stayed in a bungalow, which was perfect for a couple. This recent visit, however, was traveling with a friend and the only available accommodation for our dates was a large room in the main building. The room was fine, but my next visit will again be in a bungalow.

Close to downtown, yet off the beaten path, the property is, by and large, very peaceful and quiet. The prices are very reasonable and the staff is gracious when your balcony door blows shut and you're stuck outside :-)

Room Tip: Rent a bungalow if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Let me first start by saying the pictures of this place simply don't do it justice. It's a wonderfully kept lodge tucked away on a dead end away from the noise of downtown Puerto Viejo.

I was met by the staff, Adriana, with a smile after a long day of travel and white water rafting. She greeted me with a fresh coconut and showed me my bungalow.

The bungalows are quaint but perfectly sized. My room had a coffee maker, mini fridge, and one of a girls most important tools when traveling, a hairdryer and extending mirror to help when putting on your makeup. Seriously all hotels should have these!

My porch had a comfy hammock and a small table with chair for those nights when leaving your room seems like a hassle. It really was that comfortable.

I ordered breakfast the night before and was met by Manolo the next morning. He went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and welcomed. I could have easily spent my day in the beautiful reception / dining area and observed the birds and wildlife that roams the grounds but that wasn't what I was here for. Manolo gave me some great tips on where to travel to with my limited time in Puerto Viejo. They also rent bikes at $7 a day which made it even easier.

They do offer a fresh breakfast and much needed coffee for $9 , which I highly recommend. It does include vegetarian options. Rice / beans/ fruit/ toast/ eggs / cheeses and cereal.

I cannot recommend Coco Loco Lodge enough. To those travelers who want to be very close to Puerto Viejo but far enough away to be able to sleep, this place is a gem.

The only negative point in this review, is that I have to leave.

I just want to take one more opportunity to thank the bilingual staff for going above and beyond to make my stay an incredible one. A hotel can have a plethora of amenities, but if the staff doesn't help make you feel comfortable it can quickly make your stay a stressful one.

Lastly if you're wanting to book tours they can help you with any questions you may have as well as recommendations.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed 4 days at the bungalow. We liked it very much as we had a porch for ourselves where you can just lay and relax in the hammoc :)
The check in process was stressless and quite easy going when it came to the payment! The personnel was very friendly and helpful giving us tips on places to visit and restaurants where to eat!

Rooms were clean and tidy, the kitchen had everything we needed. Just a few minutes walk to the beach and they also have bikes for rent.

For sure a place we would like to visit again!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple