All reviewsthe main streetthe ownerfamily hotelcosta ricafree breakfastsmall kitchensecure parkingbathroom sinkhotel is locatedtwo double bedsquiet locationcable tvrooms are largethe air conditioningrestaurants and shopsshort walk to the beachevery morning
Reviewed 24 June 2018

I booked three nights at Mar de Luz in November of 2017. The place looked great on the website (as they all do, don't they?). I booked for three nights and checked- in and they immediately ran my CC for all three nights (?). I know some do and some don't. Having traveled all day I was tired and went to my room straight away for a nap. The room was small, but adequate (I am a budget traveler but I did expect more for $80 USD a night). I showered and laid down for a nap. A bug was crawling across my sheets coming towards my neck so I grabbed it looking to toss it away, YIKES! It stung me like you wouldn't believe! I later Googled it to find out it was a Bullet ant, so named because it feels like a bullet when it stings you, it did. That night I was awoken from my sleep with my door rattling in it's hinges, something was trying to get in. I got out of bed and banged on the door chasing off what ever critter it was, back to bed. CRASH! Something outside my room crashed to the ground waking me again, damn. Back to sleep and BANG! Something crashes on the roof of my room, something big, so I am now awakened three times, my finger throbbing. Looking to upgrade I attempt to check out the next morning and move on. The gentlemen(?) at the counter who were not very friendly from the get go ignore me for several minutes and then disregard me for several more. Finally I get their attention and ask they refund my CC for $160, the balance of the next two nights. They refuse. "It's on our website." and it was in the usual small print. ( I have traveled enough to experience discrimination in other countries and know the deal. This was a case of discrimination. I am a white American traveling alone and looking around it was apparent Mar de Luz caters to Ticos). After about a 10 minute wait I finally "get to" speak with the Manager. Again, not friendly and refuses to refund me my $160. I understand "creatures in the jungle," but Mar de Luz is in Jaco, near the heart of a city! Yes this is sour grapes but the point you should take away is this is a highly overrated Hotel. Traveler beware, look elsewhere. You can get soooooo much more for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert C
Frainer-Ch, Director Comercial at Hotel Mar de Luz, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear guest

We are surprised by your comments. For the date that you mentioned you stayed at our hotel we have no report of any complaint about the things that you mentioned happened during your stay.
The only report we have is from a guest who was not in accordance with our policies: Visits not allowed (we are a 100% family hotel)the guest threatened to leave a bad comment about your stay if he don´t received a refund. Ofcourse to find other hotel with diferent policies.
However, thanks for mentioning that our room was correct.
We regret the discomfort caused by the animals you mention (it is not normal for animals to hit the door and fall on the roof itself); Due to the variety and exuberance of our gardens it is normal to observe some animals in their natural habitat but this has never been a problem for anyone, on the contrary it is one of the attractions that most tourists enjoy. In our gardens you can have the experience of seeing some animals, we are surrounded by exuberant nature.
At Hotel Mar de Luz we worry about the quality of our services and we want to make the knowledge of all travelers, if any inconvenience happens during your stay we are able to help you solve it to make your holidays unforgettable.
Our hotel is rated as one of the best in our area, this is due to its excellent relationship between price and quality of the services we offer and our customer service.
All travelers can visit Mar de Luz without any problem and enjoy the quality of our services (and the variety of nature in our surroundings).

Reviewed 30 May 2018

The owner and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and clean and the Hotel is in a central location. The breakfast served at the hotel was very good. The pools were always clean and not to crowded.
The owner helped us find transportation to San Jose and even drove us personally to the bus station.

Room Tip: We had a corner unit on the ground floor with 2 double beds that was quiet with a nice view of the garden and pool
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2018

Exploring the beauties of Costa Rica, we spent 3 nights in the hotel Mar de Luz, Jaco. It has a fantastic position in a quiet location in the center of Jacó and its beautiful beaches. We appreciated very much relaxed family concept of the Dutch owner. All went well, and on top of that the owner and his skillful crew helped us to solve a problem with the car.His approach and helping hand was highly appreciated. This is the place and people we want to recommend to any traveller. We hope we will visit them again soon!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

This hotel is recommended on the lonely planet guide book as well, I am very glad with my choice. Less than 5 mins to the main street, free breakfast comes with 6 different options all in big portion too. Front desk people are very helpful, let us check in a couple hours before check- in time. Theres even a tiny kitchen in our room. Beautiful surroundings too. Overall, perfect stay with them, best hotel of our 2 weeks trip in Costa Rica.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zenayz
Reviewed 9 April 2018

This hotel was so awesome! The rooms were great and well equipped. Very clean! Amazing staff! Location was perfect, right across from the beach:) I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone! Great for a family getaway:)

Stayed: March 2018