Hotel Pumilio(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$122
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$91
Monte Carlo Condominium(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$123
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$70
  • Beachfront
Vista Guapa Surf Camp(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$99
Buddha House Boutique Hostel(Jaco)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$28
Hotel Perico Azul(Jaco)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 23/07
US$60
Aparthotel Vista Pacifico(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$82
Hotel Club del Mar(Jaco)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$186
All reviewsdoce lunasyoga studiocosta ricatropical paradisegrounds are beautifulmanager brianflora and faunacab rideanother guestrooms are largestaff went out of their waydowntown jacobeautiful roombeautiful hotelhermosa beachmangorainy season
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights during a trip with girlfriends to CR. Hotel was quite possibly the prettiest place I have ever stayed in. Rooms were large and comfortable. Pool was AWESOME. The grounds were beautifully manicured and staff was friendly. The only wierd part was how empty it was. I think I saw a total of 2 other guests there. We went to dinner one night at the restaurant on the grounds and I'm pretty sure they had to open the kitchen just for us. Waiter/cook gave us the menus and then when we ordered proceeded to tell us that nothing on the menu was available. I don't think he knew english though. Regardless, the food he did make for us was absolutely delicious!! We stayed at the start of the low season so maybe that's why it was so empty. It was super quiet at least! Also, don't let the fact that the hotel is not right in Jaco turn you off. Cabs were $4 for 3 of us.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at Docelunas. The 1st was for our honeymoon and we returned to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. What a fabulous time! I am pregnant and did not have to worry about anything. The hotel has its own well and water filtration system so I could literally drink from the tap. The first thing you notice when you arrive is that the hotel is gated and staffed with security 24/7. I never felt unsafe. The location is just outside of town yet it is just a 15 minute walk or $2 taxi ride into the surf town of Jaco. The location is amazing, as you are transplanted into the rainforest with indigenous plants and animals all around you. The rooms are quite spacious and private and have strong amenities including A/C, a large bathroom with tub, mini fridge, safe deposit box, and flatscreen tv. The restaurant/bar is a favorite gathering spot for all guests although you are welcome to order room service, or have your meal delivered to you at the beautiful pool. The food is delicious and features fresh, local ingredients. The guest chef was incredible and so were his exquisite meals. The staff is extremely responsive and the hotel is happy to coordinate any sightseeing you'd like to do. I indulged in 3 spa treatments during our stay and they were most relaxing and fantastic. Being a smaller resort, they are definitely able to offer a personal touch. We returned home rested and rejuvenated, which is exactly what we were looking for in this vacation. We will definitely return to Docelunas as often as is possible.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2010

Doce Lunas is really the most beautiful resort I saw in Jaco, and I walked around quite a lot of them. Most of the others have a typical layout with rooms stacked up close around a small courtyard of cement (or even a parking lot) and a simple garden. The natural aspects look kind of contrived and touristy.

Doce Lunas, on the other hand, strikes a much more harmonious balance with a very large grassy inner park full of beautiful vegetation, fruit and palm trees, and other varieties I can’t name. The 20 or so rooms and separate luxury suites are situated back in deference to the landscape, allowing nature to dominate the view for those who stay there.

Really, this sets Doce Lunas apart from other places in Jaco.

But what also sets it apart is the restaurant, which serves top-notch food. Even if I stayed at another hotel, it would be well worth going to the Eclipse (that’s the name of the restaurant) for dinner. I thought most of the restaurants in Jaco were pretty good, but for about the same price, which is cheap by American standards, Eclipse offers absolutely delicious food, well presented, in a spacious, open air, palm-leaf roof restaurant. The restaurant also seems to be a great place for a banquet or party. I saw a dozen or so bachelor partiers toasting away at a large table set up for them, and some nights the staff set up live music or a movie screen for evening entertainment.

The staff was very friendly and professional and would call around to check on tours, get cabs, and bring supplies to the room. They also work hard to keep up the grounds. What more can you ask?

The rooms are nice as well. We had a suite with a large bathroom and quality furnishings ( firm beds), and a cold, cold air conditioner. There’s a TV with cable, though I stayed pretty unplugged while there. There’s also a pool large enough to swim in, and a spa for yoga, massages, etc. that I just looked into. I got my massages by sitting under the waterfall at the pool.

I went down for a week with a pal in mid May, which is kind of the off season since it often rains in the afternoon. Still, the weather was beautiful and sunny most of the time, and during the showers it was especially nice to be at Doce Lunas, to sit outside on the balcony with some drinks and watch nature take it all in.

The resort is close enough to the beach to hear the ocean, and as another reviewer wrote, you can walk into town or to the ocean about a kilometer along zig-zag roads, or you can take a cab for just $3. You can also go to Hermosa Beach, where the biggest waves are, in about ten minutes by cab for just a few dollars more. The sands of the beaches at Jaco are not pristine and white; they’re brown and coarse, though they’re not dirty, I didn’t see lots of people lying out by the ocean. Most came to swim and surf rather than sunbathe on the sand, so it actually is kind of nice that Doce Lunas is set a little away from the main beachfront drag (a road called Pastor Diaz) and away from all the reveling tourists, and some more nefarious types, walking back and forth. Doce Lunas seems to be in a safe and tranquil area, with staff there to let in visitors through a tall front gate. We would even leave our door unlocked while we went down to the pool, though I’m sure that’s never recommended in Costa Rica.

We took a cab in from San Jose, took the scenic route through the mountains, which was $90, and took the bus back, which was $4 each and about an hour longer. That seemed like a good way to go, since we were in a hurry to get there and in no hurry to get back to the airport. The bus was a lot nicer than I expected.

Hmm.. can’t think of what else to say. I could talk about all the things to do in Jaco (rainforest hikes, ATV or horseback rides, deep sea fishing, visits to the volcano and Tortuga Island, and lots more), but I’m mainly reviewing the resort itself. Originally we were thinking to go to Myrtle Beach for vacation, but for about the same price plane ticket, and lots better, cheaper accommodations and activities once you get there, I’m glad we went a few hours farther away to Jaco and would definitely recommend staying at Doce Lunas.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank wtsDC
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The first step onto the grounds took my breath away! It felt like I was tucked away in my own, well manicured, tropical forest. The buildings are nestled in-between all of the beautiful flowers and trees. Once in the room, it was clean, spacious and it had a tub-a luxury that I was not expecting in Costa Rica!! The pool was amazing; it had a waterfall and a shallow area to sunbath in. The food was fantastic; they made everything from scratch and would accommodate any request that wasn't on the menu. Our group of friends went fishing and brought back their catch. The chef was more than willing to cook up the fish, amazing!!!!
I was there with a large group of friends for a wedding. Doce Lunas catered the reception in their restaurant. They had it decorated so beautifully, with fresh cut bamboo for candle holders, fresh flowers and lanterns wrapped in different color rice paper, it was so romantic.
The most important thing about this hotel is the staff, they make you feel comfortable, like you're family. Whatever you ask for or are inquiring about, they are there to make it happen for you. They truly are knowledgeable about what's going on in Costa Rica and were always willing to set up different adventures or recommend places to visit. Or if you want a night of relaxation to watch a movie outside, at the hotel, on a large screen, they do that too. They’re amazing individuals who take pride in what they do and it shows!
I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE!!!

Stephanie

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2010

My new wife and I stayed at Doce Lunas for three nights in April, right on the edge of the rainy season. The grounds are beautiful, the staff was helpful, and the rooms were as comfortable as I've ever seen. This is not the cheapest hotel in the area, and neither is it a five-star resort, but for those looking for a great experience at a great value, Doce Lunas beats any hotel I've stayed anywhere.

Doce Lunas has a pretty low number of rooms (20 or so) and most of those are spread out across a large, beautiful campus that allows visitors to pretend they're alone in paradise. On our first night, we shared the hotel with a group of guys who'd stayed in the Jaco area before and a second group that were American workers from another part of Costa Rica down for a weekend getaway. On the last night, we shared the place with the group of 40 commenting earlier. My wife and I tend to be quiet and private, and both groups we shared the hotel with were definitely a little more outgoing, but short of running into a few people at the pool and the restaurant, we wouldn't have known that there was anyone else around.

There was a small incident while we were there, but Brian and the staff were quick to make sure we were happy with our stay, and more than gracious in their efforts to do so. This despite the fact that neither my wife nor I thought twice about it and tried to make that plain. It is nice to see service staff who will try to make up for even those problems that aren't really problems.

Unlike an earlier review, I didn't notice that the front desk staff was absent, and Juan Carlos was extremely helpful when we tried to book a day trip to Isla Tortuga. We were very happy with his recommendation when we arrived at Tortuga and saw the tiny little boat we had originally thought to book.

With travel days to Jaco and our day cruise, we didn't feel like dealing with traffic in Jaco every night, so we dined at the restaurant four times during our stay. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is the sort tropical decor that fits right in with the grounds, and the service was wonderful.

I'd recommend Doce Lunas to anyone who is going to visit the Jaco area. Some sources might tell you that you can make it to various destinations from Doce Lunas (Arenal comes to mind), but you're better off staying within the region, because you will want to spend some time relaxing at this gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple