“Fabulous! One of the best meals on our trip!”

El Rancho Restaurant
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

Our family (myself, husband and 2 sons 21 & 27) had dinner here last night. Oh my! I had the fresh fish of the day - a red snapper that you had your choice of preparation - I opted for the fresh crab meat and garlic butter and was not disappointed. Seriously, one of the best fish dishes I've ever had. I had a mango colada to go with it -again, awesome! I knew it would be because earlier at the pool (we're staying at Villas Nicolas where the restaurant is located), I'd had the banana version, along with chips, salsa and guacamole. I was wondering why it was taking so long for just chips and salsa and when they were brought out, I understood why. EVERYTHING - chips, salsa and guacamole were individually and freshly prepared on the spot!

The guys all had surf and turf for dinner - steak and shrimp. The boys chose a poached pear and Gorgonzola topping and my husband opted for the crab and garlic butter (not offered on the menu, but gladly prepared). It was accompanied by white rice and farm fresh veggies that were to die for. Our only regret is we were too stuffed to take advantage of their dessert offerings.

Service was wonderful and everyone speaks English, so no worries there!

When the bill came, we couldn't believe how inexpensive it was for the incredible quality - the bill was just over $100 US for 4 adults!!

It's now Sunday and we're sad they're not open tonight. We'd be back for sure!

Reviewed 14 May 2016 via mobile

Small and intimate outdoor restaurant attached to a hotel. Service was exceptional and the open kitchen is a nice feature. Menu is quite small, but the food was great.

Reviewed 29 March 2016

Very nice restaurant with great food and great atmosphere and great service. Prices are reasonable. I really enjoyed the food and the experience at this restaurant

Reviewed 24 February 2016 via mobile

We would have never found this place if we weren't staying at the hotel. We talked to the owner who was prepping earlier in the day and he told us what the fresh fish of the day would be (red snapper) and he told us the 3 different ways he could prepare it. We were sold and also pleasantly surprised. Fish was delicious with a garlic sauce and crab meat topping. My friend got the same fish but with a red pepper cream sauce on top. Also very good. Veggies were cooked to perfection with the right amount of spices. Great prices, service and food!

Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

The place was a little hard to find. We wandered outside for a bit trying to figure out how to get in. Eventually a worker cam by and entered a gate and we followed her and we were in the restaurant.

The restaurant looked like it had a full bar and was right next to a pool with a bunch of children playing in it.

The fish was really good here. We also got the hot bananas dessert and it was only so so.

Service was good.