“Nice...not amazing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Howell, New Jersey
“Nice...not amazing”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

First let me say that Tulemar is a beautiful property and the staff is very friendly. We stayed in one of the bungalows and while yes, I agree with other reviewers that they may be a bit dated, they are lovely. How can you beat 360 degree windows with amazing views? However, I felt that they were a bit overpriced for what you actually get. We stayed in an equally beautiful place in Playa Samara for less than half the price of Tuelmar, so that may have swayed my impressions of what to expect.
I was really looking forward to having a private beach, but it's very small and the two days we were there it was extremely crowded. There is no on-site restaurant available for dinner, so you'll either have to leave the resort, hire a personal chef (with an extra price tag), or order room-service from a nearby restaurant. While this isn't a big deal monetarily, there were charges for local phone calls including the one made to order our room service. I mean c'mon...you really need to nickle and dime your guests who are already paying exorbitant rates? The premise just bugged me. I am not familiar with the other options in the Manuel Antonio area, but I'd probably do a bit more research on nearby hotels if I were to return. To spend over $300 per night, I feel you should have everything available at your fingertips. Oh and speaking of which, we did not once meet our "personal concierge" though he did email me prior to ask if we required any reservations in advance, which we did not.
Again, I will say that the rooms are very nice and the staff was very pleasant. I would recommend the property to potential guests, but beware that there is a lot of hype that I do not feel it lived up to.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Denise L
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Hi Denise.....we want your experience at Tulemar to be "amazing" and not just "nice".....I'm so sorry that your expectations weren't met.....I'm glad you enjoyed your Bungalow.....(the views are really great).....but sad that your personal concierge didn't meet you and offer their services.....that is unacceptable and I apologize for that......our beach isn't really small.......it's a very nice size.....one of the villa owners was having a birthday party on our northern terraces for their son so there were a lot of people there on Sunday.......that rarely happens.....I was at the beach from noon until four yesterday and there were never more than 40 people there at any one time......our beach bar and grill offers breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks until 5 PM.....for dining after that there are 10 restaurants within two blocks of our front gates, 2 restaurants offer room service delivery to our villas, you can prepare a meal in the kitchen of your villa or we can arrange a private chef.....more options than most other hotels in the area.....and speaking of the other hotels in Manuel Antonio......our villas/bungalows are priced fairly for the size/views/location and amenities provided.......if you compare, Manuel Antonio hotels are generally more expensive than hotels in other parts of Costa Rica.....again, my apologies for your personal concierge not making contact....we're already working on that problem.

Tulemar Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We went to Costa Rica for the second time looking for a new experience……A cousin of ours recommended Tulemar in the Manuel Antonio area. We hired a van and drove to Tulemar where we had reserved the Panorama South Villa. It was perfect for us. Not only was it one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed, but it accommodated my family perfectly. The 1st floor was like a mini apartment with kitchen, living room, and bedroom. The 2nd floor had 2 bedrooms, a hot tub and another deck with a magnificent view. The 3rd floor was the living area for all. A beautiful large kitchen and living area with a huge deck and a grill. We made jokes because there was no dishwasher, but since we had excellent maid service every day, it did not matter. The house is kept spotless with beautiful fresh costa rican flowers in the kitchen and the living room. We did the tour at Manuel Antonio Park, but honestly we felt Tulemar was just as beautiful. Our private beach with free access to snorkeling and kayaking was great. The drinks on the beach were wonderful and great food right on the private beach...The food at the pool was outstanding also. We spent time swimming and drinking at the pool. We saw sloths in the trees. A giant hila monster, and monkeys on the property……….I could go on and on. All I can say is that it was a special time for me and my family. We thank Kim for helping us find the bank, grocery store, and answering all our questions. Pura Vida is the correct saying for this place.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Trading2000
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Nice to have you with us at Casa Panorama and Tulemar. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. Casa Panorama is one of our most popular villas-the name says it all-amazing ocean views-plus great concierge service by Kimberly, she really takes care of her guests. It's such a good value too. Hope to have you back with us again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is not the first time I stayed at Tulemar and it won't be the last. I had the best vacation and everything and everyone was so nice to us. It is a pleasure to stay at a place that is so well taken care of and the staff so professional. The private beach could not be better and we spent s much time there! We had lunch at the restaurant and Lou was the funniest, most professional waiter we had during our stay. He introduced us to the Chef-I forget his name but he is pure Irish! :) and they could not have been more accomodating.

We will be back and cannot wait!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hi Ann419....thanks for returning to Tulemar and for taking the time to write such a nice review......I'm glad you enjoyed the Bungalows and we'll have another one ready for your next trip.....thanks for the comments on our Beach Bar & Grill....great breakfasts, lunches, snacks and drinks.....under the palms with your feet in the sand and monkeys overhead.....Lou and Chef Paul are two of our local characters.....they are funny.....Chef Paul is famous for his Eggs Benedict on Sundays.....and Irish Beer Battered Fish and Chips daily! See you next trip!

Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Let me say up front... Tulemar was the finest property where we've ever had the pleasure to stay. The safety and courtesy provided by the staff was topnotch. There are absolutely no surprised, hidden fees, or anything like that. The cost of the property was not cheap. About $2300 for 3 nights for a Buena Vista 2-bedroom luxury villa. January is prime time in Costa Rica, and the weather and nights are absolutely beautiful. The highest prices are also charged in this month. If you stay in a similar accommodation, you will have a personal concierge who is just a cell phone call away 24 hours a day. Now for some specifics.

The pool near our property was beautiful as was the setting. It was almost a private pool, with usually just one or two other persons there. There is a bar and grill at the pool, with reasonable prices for sandwiches and drinks.

The Buena Vista Luxury Villa is the finest property I've seen, bar none. Mostly finished in marble, with an incredible kitchen. The deck has a nice hot tub and beautiful furniture. Each morning around 6-8 am, large numbers of capuchin and squirrel monkeys came by in the trees. Word of caution: capuchins do not like flash photography and will bare their teeth and snarl in a way that will make a chill run down your spine! The bedrooms, bathrooms, and living areas were beautiful and contained beautiful furniture,artwork, and accessories.

A final note. You will be staying in a rain forest. There are animals and critters everywhere. Generally, they are not in the villa, but we did have a frog in our bathroom one morning, since the shower area of the bathroom is open to the outside.

You will not regret paying these types of rates. You will not have a finer experience in Costa Rica. The sunsets from the deck alone was almost worth it. :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AmigodelNorte
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Hi MarkhamFamily20....thanks for staying with us and for the review.....I appeciate all the comments and details.....your remarks about pricing were accurate and fair....our Buena Vista Premium Villas are our "high end" accommodations......and December thru April is our peak season....rates drop in May and again in September......(for smaller groups, we have other accommodations starting at $145 nt in the green season and $250 nt peak season)....check out our larger "private villas" for weekly stays....the ocean views....our beach....the hiking trails....our location - right in the heart of Manuel Antonio...all make Tulemar a great destination! We hope to see you back again!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed in Villa Mot Mot for two nights, and a two bedroom villa for the third night. It was a difficult decision as to where to stay in Manuel Antonio, but the deciding factor was the private beach. And yes, I made the right decision. The beach is amazing, absolutely no crowds with use of the boogie boards and kayaks all day. We kayaked and snorkeled every morning in the 86 degree water. David was always there with the kayaks and to set up our chairs and umbrella. There is a beach bar and restaurant at the beach and we enjoyed many of Daniela's amazing drinks. We had planned to go on a few excursions, but honestly there was no reason to ever leave the premises except to eat. All of the restaurants we went to were within walking distance and always excellent. Diego, Vanessa and Bill were always in contact inquiring if we needed any assistance or reservations. I would recommend Tulemar without hesitation.

Room Tip: Villa Mot Mot was amazing