First let me say that Tulemar is a beautiful property and the staff is very friendly. We stayed in one of the bungalows and while yes, I agree with other reviewers that they may be a bit dated, they are lovely. How can you beat 360 degree windows with amazing views? However, I felt that they were a bit overpriced for what you actually get. We stayed in an equally beautiful place in Playa Samara for less than half the price of Tuelmar, so that may have swayed my impressions of what to expect.
I was really looking forward to having a private beach, but it's very small and the two days we were there it was extremely crowded. There is no on-site restaurant available for dinner, so you'll either have to leave the resort, hire a personal chef (with an extra price tag), or order room-service from a nearby restaurant. While this isn't a big deal monetarily, there were charges for local phone calls including the one made to order our room service. I mean c'mon...you really need to nickle and dime your guests who are already paying exorbitant rates? The premise just bugged me. I am not familiar with the other options in the Manuel Antonio area, but I'd probably do a bit more research on nearby hotels if I were to return. To spend over $300 per night, I feel you should have everything available at your fingertips. Oh and speaking of which, we did not once meet our "personal concierge" though he did email me prior to ask if we required any reservations in advance, which we did not.
Again, I will say that the rooms are very nice and the staff was very pleasant. I would recommend the property to potential guests, but beware that there is a lot of hype that I do not feel it lived up to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tulemar is the premier resort development in Manuel Antonio. Gated and secure, the 33 acre jungle resort is perched on the hillside overlooking the Pacific, but continues down all the way to our own beach. It includes the Tulemar Bungalows and our special and unique villas such as Villa Mot Mot, Casa Panorama, Casa de Frutas, Casa Las Nubes, Villa Kiskadee and the new Tulemar Bamboo Villas just for couples. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Tulemar Bungalows And Villas
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Tulemar Hotel
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio