See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 January 2017

Great location at the top of the hill in the heart of Manuel Antonio. These are condos with kitchenettes and large balconies that have gorgeous views of the ocean. That being said, the service isn't great and they are fairly dated so don't expect any luxuries. As an example, our unit had a lovely hammock on the balcony, with huge holes in it. Also, there was no hot water in the shower.

Date of stay: December 2016
1  Thank 567kimw
Reviewed 26 August 2016

These villas are on a hillside and are made of concrete and the noises on the main street from the Agua Azul restaurant and from the Babylos Resort bar are very loud at night and the noise goes on until around 11:30 pm. BRING EAR PLUGS if you want to attempt to sleep before then. Also, you can hear the main road noise early in the morning - sometimes around 5:30 and sometimes not until around 7.

This is not a hotel - they are individually owned condos. We stayed in 11 Down. It was in the 3rd building from the restaurant. If you are staying closer to the restaurant, it will be even louder.

The management was very nice; however, they don't give you any information - you have to dig to get it. We had to go back or call them (Dial 9 on the phone in the condo - I figured this out - something else they should have told us) several times to get info like - where is the laundry facility, what is the internet password. They really need a binder in the rooms to provide all this information to their guests. It's very frustrating and it's a hike up and down stairs and up a hill to get to the office several times a day.

Another thing is if you have bad knees or feet or cannot exercise, not a good place to stay. From the office, you go up a flight of stairs, up a hill, through a locked gate, then up stairs then down stairs to get to our unit.

I thought the property was beautiful though. I reminds me a little of New Orleans - with the metal staircases. We had an awesome view of the Pacific ocean and saw lots of birds, and I even saw 2 monkeys running across the property's road and up past the office. Unit 11 Down has an inside porch with furniture and a hammock. You can open the window if you want to, but it was pretty hot, so we didn't.

There were 2 beds in our condo, but only 1 was even remotely comfortable. We had a kitchen, and they have a gas stove which has a propane tank under the sink (not sure how safe this is, but we were told everybody does it there). Another thing the ignition didn't work on the stove and we didn't realize you need matches since the ignition, and of course those weren't provided, nor were paper towels. And we only got 1 wash rag for 2 people and had to ask for an additional one each day from the housekeeper.

They do have a pool but I didn't see anyone using it except 2 birds (fun watching this). There is a resident iguana - he gets on the roof of the unit in front of 11 down and suns himself (and poops - lol) - but I enjoyed seeing him, and even had to wait for him to go down the stairs so I could come down myself - a little scary, but I enjoyed it.

If you go to Agua Azul, you may be able to use their internet. The internet at the condo was really slow and came and went sometimes.

Bottom line - if you like a nice view and love seeing some wildlife and don't mind night noise and don't mind a few inconveniences and are in good shape or don't mind a little exercise, this place might be good for you.

Room tip: Get as far away from the restaurant as possible and maybe get a room on the lowest level.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

This is a great (central) location - restaurants, grocery stores, bus stop, etc all close by. The views will make you pinch yourself and you can observe monkeys passing through daily.

If you depend on WIFI, this place is not for you. I work from home and had to frequent restaurants and cafes to function. Also, noise levels can be ridiculous due to the bar that recently opened nearby.

There are definitely other budget friendly hotels in the area with similar but better offerings.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights.
The view was amazing!
We needed a car to go to the beach but only a short ride.
The cleaning lady isn't very good. We had ants everywhere in the kitchen!!! Also, she wasted some of my very expensive facial cream while she was cleaning. I guess by accident but still- It made me furious!

Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed 31 May 2016

Air conditioning was weak, security was a tad questionable (lock wasn't great, the gate to the community was left unlocked at times and not monitored. This place is somewhat native style. Internet was terrible. Had steps to get to the rooms. Balcony with view of ocean was nice. Good area, but beware, everything is quit far in Manuel Antonio, it would be tough to walk to everything. This place had Agua Azulejo and Falafal very close by which are amazing places to eat. Beach would be a long walk with some elevation to climb.

Date of stay: May 2016