New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“pretty good place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Vancouver, Canada
“pretty good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I was in room #22. Double beds, balcony, free air conditioning, tv with > 80 channels, welcome bath kit with loofah sponge and soap. There is coffee and a fridge. More counter space in the bathroom, but no fan to reduce humidity; good water pressure and had hot water. Safety deposit box in the room closet. Restaurant is expensive to eat at. Pool was nice, no shade when sitting in the chairs though. Super nice views of the ocean in the common areas. About 5 minutes to town, but had to walk along a gravel road to get to the bus stop. Bus fare was 250 colones.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Ajax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of our G Adventure Tour and it was pretty good. We had a separate little "hacienda" type room, which was nice. It also had the softest mattress I have experienced in Costa Rica (so far...). The pool was a great temperature, but the hot tub was tepid only. The food was a little pricey compared to the local Sodas, but was very good. Happy hour was 2 for 1 drinks from 4-7pm! The hotel is about $4US from Quepos and $6 US to Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: Ask for the separate little hacienda room!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I didn't think this hotel was very good to stay at. It is clean and the most of the staff are friendly, however, I found it was too expensive and out of the way. It is on a hill and not close to anything, so therefore not convenient, unless you have a car. I came here with a tour, but arrived a day earlier.. I only stayed here because it was where my tour was going. When I enquired about hotels right on the beach and close to manual antonio park, the prices were actually about 30% less then Hotel California. I don't think it was worth the price. In addition, we were informed by our tour guide (after I paid for my room that additional night) that the hotel would give us a rate about half what I paid. When I spoke to the manager about this, he said the rate was per person, which is why we had paid double. But that doesn't make sense to me, since we shared a room. A room price, is a room price, since when is it per person, and if there is an additional cost per person, since when is it double? When i asked him why we didnt' get our own room then, he said he didn't know... which means to me his explanation was crap. I also mentioned to the manager that other hotels in the area were about 30% less then the rate he gave, but he just looked at me and said nothing. Even the Best Western was about 30% less...I feel like I got ripped off.. so for that, I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, nor would I ever stay here myself again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

We loved having a view of the ocean from our room and the balcony (#25). The room itself was nice and clean, though the bathroom showed signs of aging. The beds were comfortable and the staff was super helpful. Location wise, it's a bit out of the way (up a dirt road from the main road, about 1 mi out of Quepos on the way to Manuel Antonio), but we managed just fine between taxis and the public bus.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

This hotel is situated high above the town of Quepos in near Manual Antonio National Park. Taxis to town cost $4. The hotel is comfortable but not inspiring. Staff are friendly and there is free internet access. There is a reasonable choice for breakfast but don't rely on getting lunch as most people stay out all day andd come back for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above ground level for better views.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends