“A great find”

El Shrimp Shack
Ranked #7 of 68 Restaurants in Punta Arenas
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 4 July 2017

When taking care of business in Puntarenas we always look for a new restaurant to try and El Shrimp Shack did not disappoint. It's the launching point for the Calypso cruise. Very nice welcoming courtyard and inside was reminiscent of an East Coast seaside town. For folks stopping in CR on a cruise, I would recommend a visit here to get a sense of the real Costa Rica as the restaurant is just a few blocks outside of the busy downtown area. It's on the water and although the menu is limited, they sounded very appealing. We chose the Shrimp Burger with Special Chips because it was different. It was unbelievably good. I don't know how they bound it together, but all we could taste was chunks of chopped shrimp and the very tasty seasonings. It was a very generous patty served on an equally tasty bun and the fries were fresh, homemade and battered. I seldom eat fries, but I passed on the bun and devoured those! Others have raved about the Shrimp Burger and it certainly should be something you should try. Additionally, the restaurant isn't far from the fishermen's market where there are numerous vendors selling all types of seafood. Our waiter, Nelson, did a fine job of attending to our needs and directing us to the market as well. So you can try to make your own burger, but I doubt it will be as good as the one from El Shrimp Shack. Enjoy!

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

We had a Costa Rican traditional breakfast that included scrambled eggs rice with beans and fruits. Also a corn tortilla. We then left for A boat tour to an Island.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

My husband found this restaurant on Lonely Planet when looking for things to do during a stop on a recent cruise. We like to experience the local culture and find this best done getting away from the vendors/eateries at the port. We arrived early on a Sunday and walked till we found El Shrimp Shack. We were delighted to find it existed (somethings they don't) and would be open by 11am. First impression of exterior felt okay so we explored more of the town while waiting for the restaurant to open. It was a hot day so looked forward to a cool refreshing meal. When we returned to the restaurant and entered the now open gates into the court yard, we were surrounded by beautiful greenery and some outside seating. Very inviting. Imagine our surprise to open the inside door and walk into a room which features a beautiful stained glass ceiling. We were greeted immediately and seated next to a window overlooking the water. The margaritas were refreshing and the food excellent. Highly recommend El Shrimp Shack for a true Costa Rica experience.

1  Thank Beverley L
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

The food was phenomenal. From the onion ceviche to the buffalo shrimp, the fish ceviche, all of it. Delicious. The server has been with Calypso for over 16 years and was wonderful. The restaurant manager, Michael, gave us a brief tour of the wall of fame, showing the owners throughout the years in award ceremonies. My family and I went to wnjoy shrimp because we heard they served amazing food...they weren't kidding. Delicious and I will be going again!

1  Thank bfpcr
Reviewed 24 January 2017

El Shrimp Shack - owned by the tour company - set up to capture more dollars and serve as "breakfast".
Lackluster unsmiling trio of women scoop out minute portions of plantains - and other items. I just want plantains - may I have a few more? I get two tiny but flavorful 3 inch long treats. I ask another woman - who is dishing out watermelon and pineapple - for pineapple - Costa Rican pineapple is amazingly sweet - and get two chunks. WHAT? And coffee.

The ceiling has tiles, telling a tale. I sit at a table with another couple because the busload of us - we are more in number than the amount of tables - forcing shared space.

Thank skiparkcity!