“Delicious Respite from the City”
Review of Cafe Mundo

Cafe Mundo
Ranked #26 of 681 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$100 - US$400
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2017

From the moment you enter the gates of this gracious home-turned-restaurant you feel like you've left the depressing security bars and sad, squat little buildings of San Jose behind.

We sat on the terrace surrounded by a lush garden, colorful walls and beautiful tiled floor. The staff was exceptionally friendly, and managed to provide great service in spite of the fact that the place was fairly busy.

My husband and I both had the chicken breast with mustard sauce, which was delicious and very filling. We almost got dessert, and then decided not to. Our waitress, however, had other plans and brought us a free piece of tiramisu.

If I ever find myself back in San Jose, I would absolutely return.

One final thing: others have commented about the neighborhood, but I didn't think it was so bad. There were still people walking around the streets when we left at 9:45 and I never felt unsafe.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Very sketchy area to begin with, but once there, the food was pretty good, and if you want, you can go off the menu. Staff may have had an off night as the service was pretty poor. Our friend dropped a wine glass, and she was wearing flip flops and the staff didn't even clean up the glass until we left. Barely giving this place 3 stars.
Won't come back

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Overall pleasant experience- way overpriced personal pizza $15 - 22 depending on what you order. House converted to restaurant- small rooms-alcoves-veranda dinning. Hard to find--NO SIGN! Walking in main entrance -like going into a jungle- first timers would be wary of getting mugged. Owner gracious/pleasant staff very nice /attentive. Serve fresh bread(so-so) with olive oil y cheese(olive oil was lacking-not really good VIRGIN oil). Would be nice for a special date- secluded/semi private areas but not a destination meal/stop. Long ago was a meeting spot for the gay- not sure now as to how true that is today.(CR bars y restaurants can close or change overnight) Full service bar/wines they do take reservations-credit cards.

zagatchicago, Propietario at Cafe Mundo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Dear costumer:

Perhaps you ignore that Costa Rica is one of the most expensive countries in the area , and all the premium ingredients we buy for our restaurant are more pricey than in the US, and you also seem to you ignore the fact that there is a mandatory 23% sales and service tax that has to be added to every bill in a restaurant . Having said that , just as a comparison , in spite of having hand made pizzas made from scratch with sour special recipe dough, and top quality ingredients , we have significantly lower prices than any fast food chain pizzería in CR.

Also I would love ke to clarify to you that we make a specially spiced oil made with top quality ingredients ( including extra virgin olive oil) which we have been making for over twenty years , and most of our customers really love. We are sorry that you did not like it !

Have a good day

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

We arrived in San Jose late and found cafe Mundo close to our hotel. The building is very pretty, we sat on the terrace and were greeted immediately by very friendly staff.
My husband had the beef stew from the specials menu which was very good and I wasn't as hungry so I had a couple of appetizers, the melizana layered with ricotta, cheese and sauce, also from the specials menu and also very good. I also had a local starter of fried green plantaines which were ok, perhaps a little dry.

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

I loved sitting on the veranda having a very good penne con vodka and local Ambar beer Very welcoming and attentive staff Perfect end the day Will come again