“Bubbles below, rude people above”
Review of Bubbles Below

Bubbles Below
More attraction details
Owner description: Bubbles Below is now located down the main town of Arutanga & situated right beside the main wharf. we have a small range of products for sale including reef shoes, spearguns & accessories, Mask & snorkel sets & torches. Call us for your next dive adventure
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Let's start from the beginning: we didn't dive with Bubbles Below, and following is the reason why.
I was in Aitutaki because me and my girlfriend would get married on One Foot Island, so we thought it was a wonderful chance for us to dive in the beautiful Pacific Ocean. Problem is that we were told by our agency that Lagoon Resort got a diving center inside the structure, but once we got there we discovered the only diving was Bubbles Below, on the opposite site of the island (8km anyway).

So I thought it was good to ask to somebody at the resort how it did work and they told that Bubbles Below normally got someone to pick you up either by boat or by car. Ok, so at 3 o'clock or so I called the shop and spoke with Onu (I think), so I asked if it was possible to be picked up and I was answered "no, we don't pickup people because we don't dive that side of the island" (more on this later) and "the only dive is at 8:00 o clock in the morning". I answered it was a bit problematic, because the Lagoon was at 8km distance to the wharf, and our resort started breakfast at 7:30 in the morning. My wife is small, and has problems to do dives without eating anything, but Onu told us that our hotel would anticipate our breakfast if asked. Also I told him that I didn't know how to reach the diving center because I had to hire a scooter. So I told him I would calll him later. I then asked to the resort how to hire a scooter and they told me normally the scooter rental would open at 9:00 in the morning, but if I asked for it, they could open at 8:00. So, to do this dive I would get breakfast as fast as I can, reach the rental at 7:50, rush until the dive center with all the gear with us and finally do the dive. Pretty hard but doable. So I called back the diving center and asked if we could dive at 8:00-8:15 because of the small amount of time. Phew.
Finally at 19:00 I got to resort reception and asked them to open the rental earlier and they told me that HOPEFULLY the rental would open at 8:00, but no earlier. So OK, I thought, let's skip breakfast and do this *** dive anyway.
At 07:35 I was in front of the rental and a woman told us that the rental would not open that day until 9:00 so again, wrong information. Full of sadness I called the diving center in order to cancel the dive and do it the day after, because I couldn't hire the scooter, because I was given wrong information. I got an answer by a woman who told me "it's too late to cancel the dive". I repeated again what happened, and the woman told me again this same sentence. Then Onu took the phone and told me that they had to posticipate the dives for my fault (from 8:00 to 8:15), that 7:45 was too late to cancel the dive (I think that was before he wanted my money anyway). I tried again to tell it was not my fault and I was given wrong information regarding the scooter rental, and got the same answer a fourth time: "it is too late to cancel the dive". So I told him that we would not dive with him at all and hangup.

Really a bad experience. When in Rarotonga we've done many dives with Pacific Divers, a really good group of people, and some of the divers there told me about other having bad experiences with Bubbles Below: and that normally they picked up people, and didn't know why they wouldn't pick us up at the time. I don't know what else to say. I so wanted to dive in Aitutaki but we couldn't: if we'd come back in Cook Island certainly we would not go to Aitutaki just because Bubbles Below is the only diving center on the island.

1  Thank Jean-Pierre B
Onu h, Owner at Bubbles Below, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi & thanks for your comments, however there is always 2 sides to every story right,
Firstly your heading calling Bubbles below rude....now reading your comments, you mentioned the following;..... So I told him that we would not dive with him at all and hangup. So i ask you this, Now who is being rude here? me for talking to you politely or you for hanging up on me? Go figure!

We had spoken earlier the previous day regarding booking you in for a dive, you were told by myself that transfers either by boat was not possible as we dont access thru the lagoon, & we normally offer a transfer service however a pickup service wasnt available on that particular day due to the pickup being at the mechanics for repair work.
You mentioned to me over the phone that this wasnt an issue as you would then hire a scooter after we spoke & you would meet us at the dive shop in town at 8am in the morning.
Now 8.30am the next morning you called up to say that the scooter rentals was not open & if we could delay the dives till 9am in which my reply to you was unfortunately we can't delay our charter any longer due to other divers diving with us that day having already been sitting patiently waiting to go out.,,, remembering ( at the time of our first convo, you said you were going to hire a scooter the same day of the call & not the next morning!)
So unfortunately, yes you did miss the boat which was by no fault of my own, however had you stuck to the original plan of hiring the scooter a day earlier then I suppose you would be writing a completly different review regarding how exciting the dives were as others have written previously.
I really cant comprehend why you'd even mention about me wanting your money as you hadnt placed any deposit down whatsoever for me to keep anyways.

Please understand that I have to try my utmost best to try & keep everyone happy which is not always easy, however Im pretty sure that had I delayed the dives for you another 1/2hr - 45 mins or so from the time you called me in the morning, then it is possible that one or a couple of the divers that were waiting for you to show up would have probably written a bad review as well about us regarding the waiting time!

anyway thanks for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your review, & hopefully we find peace & do get a chance to take you diving on your next visit to Aitutaki.

Onu

in 5 reviews
"his team"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to go diving on Aitutaki as my partner doesn’t dive. But I’m really glad I did. I had two really nice dives with Monty and Brooke who took me out all on my own. They looked after me so well and did their best to accommodate my every wish while treating me as a friend.
Onu, the owner, is also an absolute sweetheart who takes a lot of pleasure in making you happy. Btw, we stayed in Onu and his wife Menema‘s beach house, Vaiorea, and I highly recommend that as well for the more independent traveller as opposed to being in some resort.

I wasn’t here during whale season although now I would like to come back for that one day. I still enjoyed both my dives at two different sites with interesting features such as nice swim throughs, a sunken barge and good marine life including huge Napoleon wrasses, eagle rays and even patting massive sea turtles.

Go and dive with Bubbles Below!

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Had two good morning dives with Bubbles in Aitutaki Channel. Saw a few reef sharks/turtles and a school of 30+ eagle rays. A very convenient location - just a few minutes by boat from the wharf.
The dive was safe and well planned - thanks Sam and Albert.

1  Thank GlobaltravellerG
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Where do I start?
I had no idea before arriving to Aitutaki that the island's waters are literally FULL of whales! I saw them every single day, from the beach and I have the chance to swim with them for a whole afternoon with bubbles below, It's something you will never forget and their "song" is still in my mind and heart. We wanted to do it again but alas they don't go out every day and we didn't manage.
If you are in Aitutaki, do not miss your chance to swim with sooo many whales.

2  Thank babbua