“So So Mexican Restaurant”

Don Jose's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
Ranked #35 of 77 Restaurants in Homer
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch during a recent visit to Homer Alaska. We found the place very colorful and clean food was good not fantastic seemed a little pricey for Tostada and 2 diet sodas. We try to find a good Mexican restaurant at most cities we visit this was So So.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

We had the Quesada appetisers and a drink each. The meals were large for an appetiser and very yummy.
The service was good, bright and cheery. The outside doesn't do justice to the bright and colourful inside decor. It is worth a visit just to see the interior and the furniture.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Perhaps the issue was Sunday afternoon staffing. We came here for Father's Day (we are locals) because the Cosmic Kitchen was closed. After seating us with our children on the patio, another waitress brought an ashtray and invited the addict at the next table to ruin the lovely day and fresh Homer air for the rest of us. Apparently the patio is unmarked smoking only. We moved inside. I asked the waitress if certain meals came with guac/sour cream garnish and she said, yes, they do, so I ordered it. When I told the waitress the garnish was missing, the waitress responded that the menu was too big for her to know what all is on it. I told her I ordered the item based on her recommendation and she repeated that she didn't know it didn't have a garnish when she told me. Finally I told her the restaurant should make it right (just bring the promised garnish already) and she stated sharply, fine, I'll pay for it! and flounced away. If the management's a jerk, please don't guilt-trip the customers--it isn't their fault. My son's hamburger was burnt black, my 'soft' taco was fried, greasy and full of raw purple cabbage ([bagged salad mix), margaritas ordered with no salt came with salt, so the waitress poured off the top and dumped them into other glasses, bringing back glasses considerably less full. Perhaps on other days there's a better cook and more experienced server, but Sunday was not a good day for Don Jose. They've lost these locals' business.

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Did not know what to expect when entering but found it nicely decorated. Server was great and had our meals custom made to our liking. Prices were fair and it all had good flavor!!

Reviewed 31 May 2017

After a day of hiking to glacier lake we decided to get something to eat before the drive home. I searched HappyCow.com to find somewhere that serves our fare and was surprised to have this place highly recommended there. We were greeted and quickly seated. Memorial day seemed slow but we were happy with seating readily available. There are a lot of seats here for large families and smaller. We are vegan and so we often times have to dissect the menu but we were helped out a lot by the staff. We also had our nieces with us so they are easier to feed because they eat a lot that were on the menu. We ordered food and it had to be changed a couple of times but staff didn't flinch. Everything came out eventually and was tasty.

Been to Don Jose's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina? Share your experiences!