“Short of Great”
Review of In Bocca Al Lupo

In Bocca Al Lupo
Ranked #76 of 147 Restaurants in Juneau
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I'd wanted to try this restaurant for a while, especially after learning it was owned by the same team as owns the Rookery & Taqueria. Walked in alone, and although there were lots of tables, was asked to sit at the bar. I often enjoy sitting at a bar when eating alone, but it wasn't like the view from this one was good - mainly prepped food, cleaning supplies, a bit of a mess. And the stools were wobbly and uncomfortable.

The house-made papparelle with beef/pork ragu was good - not great. It was a bit flat, and the sprinkle of dry cheese on top tasted a bit off. They had some anti-pasti out for complimentary nibbling, which was nice. The wine list, including by the glass, had good options.

I understand running a restaurant in Juneau offers special challenges - it's expensive to get in supplies, staffing can be tough, etc. But I think you can put in the effort to make a place sparkle a bit more and for everything to look good and work well.

Will try this spot again - preferably with others, where sharing dishes, including the wood-fired pies (which did look good), would be more fun.

3  Thank Bruce H

Reviewed 14 February 2017

My friends and I met there on a Friday night for pizza, salad and gnochi. Place was not packed but we had a reservation. Service was slow from the very beginning and it took a bit to get a drink and then eventually the food. One order of gnochi was not delivered and eventually came 20 minutes after all the other dishes. The gnochi did not taste that great (too mushy) and 5 people tasted it. The pizza tasted OK, but nothing special. This is my second visit to this place and I had the same experience the first time.

I would go to the Island Pub in Douglas over this place. The island pub has better pizza and faster service.

1  Thank JuneauJeff
Reviewed 20 September 2016

Outstanding informal Italian restaurant next to the Silverbow. All the locals seem to know about this place . Terrific fire-baked dishes and an extensive wine list.

Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

Seeking to rid ourselves of the tourist kitsch of the Juneau waterfront, we wandered to the north and found the unassuming front of this local restaurant; the entrance said no but the menu said yes. If you are looking for an 'authentic Alaskan restaurant experience as defined by the guidebooks this is probably not it. However if you want a dining experience that could holds its own in on a side street in cosmopolitan Vancouver or Seattle it is wel worth the 5 minute walk. Yes it can be noisy and crowded but the Salsiccia pizza gave Tom Douglas' Serious Pie a run for his money and the charcuterie plate was nothing short of outstanding; ingredients are locally sourced when possible. Juneau is lucky!

Reviewed 20 August 2016

A group of four of us tried dinner here despite friends prior very poor experience. We figured every place deserves a second shot but in the end we bitterly regretted not heeding advice. Would have been happier spending 79 cents for boxed mac and cheese instead of the $110 (!!) for what we got. We really want new dining options to thrive in Juneau and am willing to be as positive as I can be but we have nothing positive to say about our experience. The service was indifferent at best (had to ask twice for menus). No ambiance, food grossly over priced for quality (we are happy to spend money for good food), and the list could go on. Will never return.