“Home away from home”
Review of Orca Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Orca Lodge
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Just finished a week long stay at Orca lodge with my oldest son and what can I say, it was amazing. John and Jennifer the managers were the most amazing hosts. Every night they had a gathering around a small fire and all the guests would come. They cooked salmon and halibut in ways we never heard of before... salmon bacon anyone? The cabins were clean, warm and inviting. The beds were very comfortable. The views were incredible. We had so many belly busting laughs as we sat with other guests having cold beverages around the fire telling stories. Would I ever go back there? In a New York minute! Thanks for the memories!

1  Thank Larry E

Reviewed 30 June 2017

I took my 12-year-old son and 75-year-old father to Orca Lodge as a basecamp for a week of fishing and site seeing. I don't think we could have picked a better property for our excursion. Jen and John, the property managers, are two of the most authentically nice people I have ever met--we all clicked with them immediately.The cabins were clean, comfortable and well-equipped with everything you need for a housekeeping cabin. All the fishing gear is included and available as needed. jen was extremely helpful with last minute excursions. A little secret: Jen and John put nibbles every night--often locally caught fish cooked local style, which was a very thoughtful (and tastey) treat.

1  Thank Mark_and_Demetra
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here with a large group and had a fantastic time!

The fishing was spectacular, we lucked out with the weather and the scenery was unbelievable.

Orca's private lodges are situated along the banks of the Keani river. The nearby woods provides some privacy, but it is a quick few minutes drive into town for food and gas. The lodges are a bit on the rustic side but have lots of room for friends and family along with a full kitchen for cooking up your catch of the day.

What really made the trip for us was the staff and service. John and Jennifer look after the lodge and will take care of any problem you have. If they can't answer your question (which is rare) they will find someone who can! They went above and beyond for us to make our stay unforgettable.

Make sure to take advantage of the gas grills and smoker (John and Jenn can help you out with recipes). The daily campfires were a great touch and we spent most nights around the fire telling stories and roasting s'mores.

There is also fishing gear to borrow if you want to head out and fish the "backyard".

Overall, I can't recommend this place enough. I plan on coming back with a group of friends/family every year if possible. Great for groups and families .

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jordan G
Reviewed 17 June 2017

I arranged a fishing trip for me and my son through Fishology who owns the Orca Lodge. We knew the fishing would be great but the Orca Lodge was a pleasant surprise. The hosts, Jennifer and John, were great. Always around for great conversation and recommendations for what to see or do, restaurants, and all other things Alaska. We were lodged in the Lynx cabin which I think is one of the smaller units though in a pinch it could sleep up to 6 people if they were all friendly. More than enough for my son and me. As a bonus, every night except Wednesday, Jennifer cooks up something special and the guests gather for supper around a roaring fire. Some of the dishes she whipped up while we were there were Halibut and Rockfish fish tacos, Moose burger sliders, Poor Man's Lobster (Halibut), Steaks and asparagus.

Besides all the duties as hostess, Jennifer also books reservations for most of the local fishing charter companies up to and including Fishology. She helped us arrange a last minute fly out trip for fishing and bear viewing. Not always possible at the last minute but if it's available she can arrange it.

Our week there was great. Hot showers, comfy beds, great companionship around the fire....We'll definitely have this place on top of our list.

Room Tip: All the cabins face the Kenai River. You can't go wrong.
1  Thank tee_wrecks
Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Just visited orca lodge the last week. Unbelievable!!! Our hosts were Jennifer and John and they did more then make it accommodating. I wasn't sure what to expect being my first time. We where invited to sample different dishes while we were there moose was awesome. We had a fire every night already going and came out to hangout with friends. When we left I had tears in my eyes with the wonderful people we met. Top notch. Will be friend forever. Our guide Matt on the other hand was just as accommodating if not more so. He put us on a lot of fish and sang songs with us in the times where fishing was slower. Which was far and few in between (what a guy and guide) he will defiantly be a friend at heart hope to see him again. If I am able to go again I would choose no other people or place then the orca lodge and fishology. John, Jennifer, and Matt are top notch and gave me the absolute best of themselves and made it a trip of a lifetime.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends