• Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsloei palaceplace to staynice viewan upgradenice hotelrooms are big and cleannight stayample parkingfried eggsstandard hotelsun all daygood sizebalconythailandprovinceridebike
Reviewed 28 September 2014

The hotel is quite old but the rooms are very large and clean and offer basic facilities. The staff is kind and helpful but not everybody speak english. It is quiet because it is built in a park. Only 5 minutes walking, after crossing the bridge, there is an area with plety of restaurant, coffee shops and a small night market, where we have tasted some excellent food. If you are not tired after a day spent exploring Loei province, it is good place where to spend the evening.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank freddian
Reviewed 11 August 2014

although friendly service this hotel is probably on the list to be torn down. When we visited the hotel only two floors were in use. The pool is used by the local childeren. We stayed two nights. The second morning there was no breakfast buffet due to the small amount of guests. We could order from the menu. Not great. Next time I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had two days at the Loei Palace which is standard hotel with large (deluxe) rooms that have a private balcony for the smokers.

This place is busy with conferences, weddings etc and can get a little rowdy. Signs of the great flood that went through the place a few years back are still there to see. Free wifi is a plus, the breakfast offers the most basic of options, but is still ok and better than nothing. Walk up rate was the same as the rates offered online at about 2000B for the (larger) deluxe room.

Night markets nearby were a pleasant evening distraction, and easily walked to from the hotel. Overall very fair value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fourb2
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I checkout of here earlier today after a one night stay. It is apparent whoever designed this hotel did so to make it amazing. What it likely once was is a very rare find for the area. It is quite possible this was once the best hotel in all of Isaan (Northeast-Thai). There are still MANY signs of that and positives to cover, but the rating I’m giving it of poor is well deserved. I’ll cover those reasons earlier in this review then get to the positives.

This one is very minor, but leads to another issue. When checked in we were not given any information about the hotel, such as where our included breakfast would be served, where the swimming pool is or what the hours for the pool and breakfast are. We made a rather long drive here so with information not offered I figured I would just call down to ask later as I wanted to get to the room and rest. (more on that in a bit).

A bell person brought us to our room. He was smiles and friendly. They assigned us to room 705. The keys are old style (a physical key as opposed to a keycard – and nothing needs to be inserted to activate power). The first problem: The security latch was closed on the inside so we couldn’t open the door. We needed to wait for him to take the slow elevator from 7th floor down to first, and get us a key to room 706. It turns out as we were staying in a Super Deluxe room – both rooms which are separated by a living room were ours. So we went in other door and unlatched this and were good to go. This just delayed us maybe 7 minutes or so.

So settling down to relax, I turn on my laptop. This needs a password. Pick up the phone to call to ask for it. It is dead. Go to other room, pick up phone – this one is dead too. It wasn’t until the day I was checking out I notice a taped piece of paper in the elevator informing guest that in early May lightening zapped their phone circuit and the phone system is out hotel wide, it will be replaced, but for now call the hotel at (phone number provided). Note: this was taped as a small letter I didn’t see until taking the lift down to check out in the elevator. It would have been helpful if this was in the room instead / too. Now this was Saturday June 28, 2014 I noticed this. It mentions it had been down since early May. Not sure when soon is as far as replacing it. But so much else in the hotel needs replacing too.

So as mentioned we had two rooms that connect to a living room which makes up the Super Deluxe room we booked. In one of them the lights didn’t work most of the time. They would come on then go off with the power just cutting off.

Quite interesting is we had 3 bathrooms. The two rooms each had one with a tub and shower. The living room had one with 3 different style toilets. A standard western one, a urinal, and what I think might be a French-style toilet (not sure where that one is from). Well 3 bathrooms all of them had a problem.

- In one of the bedrooms, the water from sink didn’t run.
- In the living room bathroom the western style (one most people would use) didn’t flush.
- In the other bedroom once we turned on the shower, it wouldn’t turn off. To top this off the drain switch didn’t open the drain. We had a nail file on us and got it open. THANKFULLY we didn’t use this shower until we were showering before checking out. We just reported it is running and won’t turn off as we checked out.
So back to when I didn’t have the WIFI password. I looked for the hotels guide book and it was listed in it. But at the same time I found part of a bag of cashews (the part one would tear off to open them) was in one of this books pages and peanut crumbs were caked all over the pages. Looks like they had been there for a long time.

We ate twice at the hotel restaurant. The first was at night time once we arrived. These have large round tables, like convention style seating. You’re very far from person you are sitting across from. The first major wow is no air-conditioning in the restaurant. Just ceiling fans, it was hot.

The food was poor all across the board and was 5 of us ordering. I had a tomatoes and mushroom pizza. It was round but other than that I can best describe it as being like a frozen Ellios-pizza cooked in a toaster oven. But then adding some extra cheese and the toppings to it. The cheese was however good. But the meals overall were poor as was the pizza. The next morning, breakfast I’d also rate poor though was a buffet style with a fair selection so can fill up. But same deal, no AC, just ceiling fans and it was hot.

The balcony outside the room had chipped paint. The TV in living room was later style of box shaped TVs when they were starting to get slimmer. In one of the room was a very old box-style TV, in the other one of the early flat screen TVs. Again I already mentioned all the issues and things that didn’t work in our room.

Okay now for the positives:

Our super deluxe room was large. 112sqm is what it is listed at. Again it was two rooms, plus a living room and had 3 bathrooms (5 toilets as one had 3).

The swimming pool was almost good. The problem is this hotel cost a lot to stay in, yet they let non guest pay to use the pool. This doesn’t cost much and right from pool opening hours it had many non-guests at it. Also something about every Amari hotel I stay, their pools are not salt-water, thus use chemicals. I always get itchy skin and red welts when using them (it doesn’t last much longer after getting out of the pool). It seems only to apply to Amari hotels – and I stay many times per year at one in Bangkok. I got the exact same rashes in this pool. This seems to be unique to me though so maybe a non-issue. Others that travel with me haven’t gotten the same.

Amari does not market or mention this hotel on their website anymore, and it certainly isn’t up to Amari standards by any means, but I do believe they still manage it. So much of the stuff inside the rooms mention Amari and Amari family.

Where they are Amari like is the friendly staff. The only one tiny issue is at check in the reception just handed us the key and pointed us to bell boy. This is no problem, if we wanted to know anything we’d have asked and feel certain we’d have been answered well. All interactions with staff in this property were good. Even the gardener gave us a wai when passing her.

As mentioned in the intro this was likely designed to be and probably once was the very best hotel in all of Northeast Thailand. That in mind, a lot of the area is beautiful. The lift that goes up, looking down from 7th floor, the city views, a lot of the grounds (these are all mostly in excellent shape) still are intact. Just the entire hotel grounds look nice, lobby, walking areas etc.

It is sad I had to give this such a poor rating, but with all that was wrong with our room, the fact 6 weeks going there is no phone system, that they can’t bother to put some paint on outside balconies, are still using antique TVs, that the swimming pool is marketed like a public pool, that just so much in the room was in bad condition, the food is poor, won’t air condition the restaurant, and I can go on and on here, the rating of poor is well deserved.

Notes: Pool closes at 8PM. Breakfast is until 10AM. Very easy to find. Google maps location is correct. This is in Loei city – which for the most part is not the main tourist areas of Laos, but more just the local city which is a bit sleepy but is okay. We were given pineapple as welcome fruit. There is a neat display with photos showing how flooded the hotel was in 2002 which is a neat piece of history.

Despite all the issues with the room, I still might stay here again if needing to be in Loei city as I’m not familiar with any other large hotels with pool and food and large rooms like this one that are in the city. But if I was to come across another with some reviews I would probably give another a try over this, or because have a car stay in another area of Loei depending on where I need to be.

Room Tip: Need at minimum a deluxe room if want a balcony. Entire hotel including grounds (other than far off smoking section or walking to parking lot) is non-smoking. For smokers be sure to get deluxe, super deluxe or a suite. There is even a sign noting fine for smoking in area that is in front of hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Nothing but service at this hotel. since i am in wheelchair we got our own parkinspot infront of the hotel. The beds are very comfy and most be the best bed i ever sleep in, when comes to hotels. It is a good hotel for single and families. Swimmingpool was nice. I did not swim, but my girfriend and daughter did. The hotel has a nice quiet park, but some hours full of joggers. there is a soccer stadium for local team cross the hotel, some sundays might be some noice from that. But most of time its quite quiet. Be careful to not let any valuble be left in the room outside the safe, as in all hotels. The hotelrooms are good for wheelchairs to. no step down to the bathroom, big community balcony. The room i stayed in was little bigger, and i loved it. Two sinks and one bathtub.

The swimming is nice, but some stairs make it a bit hard to use everywhere for wheelchairs

I am saving to go back again and my choice wil be Loei Palace again. I was there from february to april 2013.

Room Tip: Did not use the spa, so unfortunately I can not tell anything about it. Exept from the pool it was not much for children, but there is a playground a few minutes walking from the hotel. there you can also buy some snack and i recomend the fried octopus :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family