“My Review of ‘Best of Sapa 3 Day / 4 Night’”
Review of Trekking Sapa

Trekking Sapa
Ranked #8 of 58 Outdoor Activities in Sapa
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At TrekkingSapa, our best reward is your complete satisfaction. Throughout our 18 years in the industry, we have done everything possible to give our clients an unforgettable travel experience. Our service standards are high, and all of our efforts go toward meeting all of our clients’ travel needs.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Hello to whoever is reading this, if your uneasy give this a flick through trust me.

I’m 21, from Australia, never been to Vietnam. Had no idea what to expect but I put faith and good vibes into booking this tour.

I applied for quotes with multiple companies, Hong from trekking sapa was the quickest to reply.

I will not lie, I had my suspicions as any first time traveller would, Hong was patient, efficient and willing to answer any question I had and in a very timely manner.

I still was nervous not knowing what to expect, Hong himself came to our hotel with his wife, briefed us of all details the night of our sleeper train and escorted us to the station and ensured we got on safely.

Waiting for us was our tour guide. We lucked out big time! We had an amazing guide called ‘Ngoc’ and he truly showed us the full sapa experience. We had our own private car with driver which took us from Lao Cai into Sapa and whenever we required transport.

Ngoc not only took us on amazing treks, but we went off-road aswell, through buffalo trails, through villages and rice terraces, up and down mountains and we experienced the true authentic culture of Vietnam, it blew my mind.

We trekked about 12-15km each day but we were quite agile and willing to go the distance cause we loved it so so much.

Not only did we trek we ate and ate and ate, received education on the Black H’Mong and Red Dzao tribes and experience their houses day to day living and workshops. Our guide also took us to local schools where we got to mingle with children. Might I highlight none of the above was in the tour itinerary, our tour guide just wanted to make sure we had a great time.

Sapa truly is a magical place, we got to see and do so much in 3 days, and I wanted to go out of my way to write this review so that Trekking Sapa can give themselves a pat on the back.

Thankyou so much I had an unforgettable time and will be forever greatful.

- Jacob

TrekkingSapa, Public Relations Manager at Trekking Sapa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Hello Jacob,
Thank you for sharing your most pleasant experience of your dealings with Trekking Sapa with the TripAdvisor community. We highly appreciated & grateful about the highlight on our exceptionally service and the fantastic trekking experience.
Hong, Ngoc and all staffs in our team are very happy to be of assistance to you in having an authentic trek and a wonderful time in Sapa.
We look forward to assisting you for your next trip in Asia. Thank you very much again for this review.

All reviews
"lao cai"
in 17 reviews
"catcat village"
in 4 reviews
"night train back to hanoi"
"nice tour"
"homestay family"
"two days"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

All of you please take note, always be the first pax to be on the car or else you all will end up like me to sit at the front seats with my friend just right besides the driver. Other passenger will be sitting comfortable at the back seats. This is what the trekking sapa arrangement I have gone through. What a bad experience for a start. The journey need to take around 4-5hours, I will advise if in this case is better we take a bus rather to pay such a high price to this luxury minivan. I took almost an hour to complain to Ngah (the trekking sapa agent that I deal with before) giving me explanation of due to Tet Festival the luxury minivan was fully booked. I have deal with the trekking sapa agent and highlighted to them I want a Luxury minivan. A luxury minivan means I can sit more comfortable than a bus but not squeezing me and my friend at the front seats. The luxury minivan should not lie to the tourist. The arrangement from trekking sapa should not allow passenger who pay such price to sit at the front seats. Just because I miss to be the first passenger in this luxury minivan? All of you please take note, or else it really ruin your mood and having the whole body aching for the entire trips. At last, they manage to talk to that driver to ask others passenger to change with us. I guess that is his 3 girlfriend who wanted to go back their hometown near sapa. They are local Vietnam teenagers. After an hour complaining and I demand to go back to my hotel, manage to change my seats and sleep flat at the last row. Please don’t let them cheat on what you have paid. The descriptions was not true. They just find their way to earn money and make a fool to the tourist. Bad experience!

TrekkingSapa, Giám đốc quan hệ khách hàng at Trekking Sapa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Dear Cindywpp3131,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We do apologized for the bad experience with the luxury van to Sapa. What ashamed for us to be in such situation after full of efforts! Knowing that “first come, first serve” then when you missed to be the first ones due to late breakfast, it was difficult to stop others to be. Then when we found you not comfortable on the front seats, we managed to change. But that already made impositive impression, we would recall this not to repeat ever for future clients. Please contact us for any further improvements/suggestions. We highly appreciate and are grateful a lot.
Thank you very much.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Great end-to-end process from booking the tours via email to the follow-ups and even down to the picking us up from the hotels. Quick response from the agency and the trekking guide that we have speaks very good English. The trek was very manageable and it was not too tiring. Our trekking guide was very accommodating in terms of the pace for us. The scenery was amazing and worth the trek.

TrekkingSapa, Public Relations Manager at Trekking Sapa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Dear Huipeng,
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your trekking experience & our tour services in Sapa and the booking process:) We really appreciate you taking the time reviewing us on TripAdvisor.com. Hope we have chance to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

My sister and I went on a tour with Trekking Sapa in early November. We planned the day before we arrived and emailed Trekking Sapa asking about a customized tour to trek up Fansipan, do a homestay, and see Sapa. Hong, who works for Trekking Sapa, replied within the hour and was very quick to respond to help organize the trip from Hanoi to Sapa via the night train. Hong was very organized and was easily reachable the whole time. He helped plan everything from airport pickup, the whole trip itinerary, and airport drop off so that all we had to do was show up!

Our trip was 5 days total:
- Day 1 - Flew into Hanoi at night, took the night train up to Sapa
- Day 2 - Picked up at Sapa and went to start trekking up Fansipan, and camped on the mountain
- Day 3 - Hiked up Fansipan for the sunrise and took the cable car down (highly recommend because your legs will be shot), went to a the Tavan Ecological Homestay (also highly recommend)
- Day 4 - Trekked through the villages, took the night train back to Hanoi
- Day 5 - Flew out of Hanoi the next morning.

Our guide in Sapa was Sinh and he was the sweetest tour guide. He really enjoys trekking, so it was great to have him as our guide up Fansipan. He was always looking out to make sure we were ok, had enough water, and carefully navigated up the mountain. He also made some very handy walking sticks for us (these became necessary towards the end of the hike). We also had a porter, Lu, with us to help carry the food and our sleeping bags. We would not have survived without his help!

The trekking was phenomenal. Things to bring: 1) Camera, but be mindful that you'll have to carry it the whole hike depending on whether you want to bring your DSLR or not. 2) Good hiking shoes or sports shoes, there are lots of rocky parts and ledges, so you'll want to ensure you have a good grip on your shoes, 3) Flashlight or headlamp (depending on what time you go), 4) extra layers (it gets cold in the mountains compared to lower altitude cities like Hanoi), 5) Sunblock, and 6) a hat or something to cover your head in case it rains/shines.

If you have time and are up for the exercise, the views were jaw dropping. We were fortunate to catch the hike on a clear day so we could see all throughout the mountain range. The only downfall was that it got really cold at night so we needed to snuggle a bit for warmth. The base camp we stayed at on the mountain didn't have electricity. It shouldn't be a deterrent, but just come prepared with a flashlight and an extra layer depending on what time of year you do the hike. The sunrise hike was totally worth doing. The views got even better and the hike looked like something straight out of National Geographic because you could see the stars in the early morning. After a long strenuous hike (the trek is more like rolling hills vs. a straight ascent), I would recommend purchasing a one-way cable car ticket down. It will save you time in the day and spare you the pain of descending the mountain.

As for the village homestay, the Tavan Ecological homestay was fantastic. They had private rooms with comfy beds and giant mosquito nets to ensure your proper protection from those pests. The trekking the day was really easy. It's a nice tour to go see other villages in the area.

Lastly, the night train was really cool. It gets loud sometimes so I would recommend ear plugs. The beds are clean though and they come with snacks and coffee depending on what level of comfort you're booking for the ride. You can do the night train very economically and have a 6 bed compartment or book your a private 2 bed cabin, which is what my sister and I did. It reminded us both of the Hogwarts train for any Harry Potter fans out there.

Overall, I would highly recommend Trekking Sapa. They were extremely professional, organized, and all around great to work with, especially give our last minute planning. Thank you Hong, Sinh, and Lu! You made our trip absolutely unforgettable!

1  Thank Sminkydink
TrekkingSapa, Public Relations Manager at Trekking Sapa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Dear Sminkydink,
We are grateful for your valuable time to post the fantastic review sharing with us and everyone on TripAdvisor Community your trekking experience in Sapa & to win Fansipan submit. It is always a pleasure to receive wonderful comments from our regular guests and find that their visit experience was a memorable and pleasant one. We are thankful for your kind compliments and recommend us, they are important to us and to other readers who have not yet visited Sapa and used our services. Rest assured that we will share your kind words with the team and of course, they would love to host you every day , as well.
All of our team members at Trekking Sapa love you, our dear customer.
Warmest Regards,

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 January 2018

We organised the beginning of our honeymoon through Sapa trekking in Hanoi. It was the best decision. We were looked after from the moment we set foot into the arrivals area at the airport. We had people picking us up and off to the beautiful hotel we went. As the first part of our honeymoon, we wanted something slightly adventurous and Sapa Trekking delivered in this respect. They were also very considerate about the fact that we were on our honeymoon and the time that were travelling (during Christmas) they rejigged a few things just so that the whole trip would be more enjoyable to us, and I think that was definitely a great call in that respect. We ended up on a luxurious cruise on spectacular Halong Bay during the holiday season which would is great instead of being on an overnight train. Our Sapa trekking was very enjoyable even though it was raining, we had great hospitality at the local homestay where we met a group of travellers where we spent a fun evening chatting and playing cards. Hanoi itself very interesting and the atmosphere in old quater was buzzing with locals and expats ... even though we didn't end up doing the last itinerary item last minute due to the fact that we preferred to spent some chilled time and get around hanoi itself a little more, Linh was very resourceful in helping us get a partial refund from the company. Which we used towards the second part of our honeymoon.

Thank you Sapa Trekking for organising our wonderful honeymoon, we will definitely come back to you for Hoi An and Da Nang next. :)

Dear SandyBlueBliss,
Thank you ever so much for your trust and choosing to travel with Trekking Sapa team. It’s so nice to know we were a special part of your honeymoon get-a-way event, that you had such a formidable experience during your trip in Sapa, Halong & Hanoi at Xmas period. We are wishing you a very happy couple life, and we hope upon your return to Vietnam we will have the chance of serving you again. We really appreciate your kind compliments on our service and staffs with everyone on TripAdvisor Community with a five-star rating. Together with our professional team, we will continue to deliver an impeccable hospitality service for many years to come.
With all the best,