All reviews float plane blueberries highly recommend a visit exciting experience guided hike fresh baked cookies great homemade unforgettable stay remote wilderness cooked meals black beans great hike home cooking spent two days bath house three nights family style
Reviewed 29 August 2016

I don't think I can adequately put into words how much my wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Caribou Lodge, but I'll try. Joe and Bonnie really love this place, and it shows in both how they maintain it, and how they treat their guests. They bend over backwards to make you feel welcome, and treat everyone like a member of the family. To illustrate what I mean, on the day we were scheduled to leave (a Sunday), we woke up to fog so thick we could not see the other side of the lake. It rained all day, and the clouds refused to lift. We were supposed to leave at 10 am, and catch a train to Anchorage at 2 pm. We were not able to leave until almost 7 pm that night. Thanks, by the way, to Alaska Bush Floatplane Service for the special pickup. We missed our train to Anchorage, and this would have ruined our plans for the next day's glacier hike we had planned, but Joe and Bonnie got ahold of Joe's sister who drove all the up from Anchorage to pick us up, and take us to our hotel. They litterally saved the rest of our trip, and for that, we are eternally grateful. One thing I will warn you about though, Bonnie will try to fatten you up with her fantastic meals. Don't worry though, Joe will be happy to help you work it off by taking you on as many hikes as you would like to go on. If you are into nature photography, there are spectacular lanscape views, an almost unlimited variety of plants, and abundant wildlife. We saw caribou, beaver, eagles, and osprey. And, if that's not enough, you can see Mts Denali, Hunter, and Foraker from their back yard. This will most likely be the highlight of your visit to Alaska. It certainly was ours.

Room tip: Three cabins all look the same, and same view. I can't imagine one is better than the others.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

During our recent trip to Alaska, my husband and I wanted some sort of off the grid backcountry experience. After an extensive search I settled on the Caribou Lodge. We spent 3 wonderful nights at the Lodge and loved every minute.

You take a float plane in and out which is an exciting experience just on its own. Once you arrive, you are greeted by Joe, Bonnie and their dog Howie. They immediately make you feel like one of the family and are the nicest people we met in Alaska (which is saying a lot because Alaskans seem pretty nice in general).

The accommodations were exactly what we wanted - "just rustic enough". :) we had a one room cabin with a very comfortable bed. No electricity but you are provided a solar lantern if you need it - although we didn't see complete darkness while we were there. And a well working propane heater to take the chill off. There is also a shared shower room with sink. And two outhouses which actually were the most pleasant outhouses I've seen (lol). They are kept very clean, fully stocked and complete with good smelling candles. Trust me - don't miss out on this experience because you're freaked out by an outhouse. It's totally fine! The best part is the main cabin with plenty of comfortable couches, books, games, and coffee/tea and fresh baked cookies any time you want them.

Your hosts and all guests share meals in the main cabin. Bonnie is an amazing cook and also accommodated our dietary restrictions. Considering it's like cooking a separate meal we were very grateful. Meals were my favorite time of day because it was the perfect time to ask Joe and Bonnie all my questions about how they live and get things done and also about their family's long history with the lodge. I am in awe of their strength and abilities!

Activities range from the daily hike led by Joe (with wildlife spotting) to kayaking/canoeing, berry picking and hanging out with Howie. You can be as active or inactive as you want to be. You also have a picture perfect view of Denali from the top of Blueberry Hill - likely one of the better views you'll find.

Overall this was an amazing trip. We work in pretty stressful jobs and forgot what it was like to feel no anxiety and not touch a phone or computer for many days. It was the most relaxed I've felt in a long time. The owners were very easy to work with and even ended up shipping me stuff that I accidentally forgot to pack (not an easy feat from the Bush). Overall this was exactly the experience we were looking for.

We are so excited to return one day soon and bring our extended family with us. Hands down this was the highlight of our trip. Thanks so much!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Resort642821
Reviewed 25 June 2016

If you want to know what it feels like to spend time off the grid in the Alaska bush, go to Caribou Lodge. Hosts Joe and Bonnie provide a wonderful experience from the moment you step off the sea plane onto the dock on their lake. Bonnie is a master in the kitchen. Her meals are innovative and delicious. And she doesn't just "accommodate" special diets. She goes all out finding and cooking up new recipes. Joe is a master outdoorsman. He guided us around the property for a long day hike our first day there, and then led us on a backpacking trip through the bush to a secluded campsite. His love for the land shines through in everything he does. And his "bush-craft" skills made us comfortable in some otherwise difficult terrain. Truly, a once in a lifetime experience that exceeded all expectations.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

I am so thankful for such an amazing experience. . This remote all inclusive lodge exceeded all expections. The food was delicious , homemade, and abundant. My 10 year old daughter, 15 year old son, and I visited the nicest restaurants in fairbanks and anchorage we could find...none came close to the home cooking of the Bramantes (our hosts).

The cabins, the lodge, and outhouse were extremely comfy and in perfect working order... heater in the room worked great...we slept great on new big beds that were ready with down comforters.

We played all day in the snow... our hosts impressed us with continuous entertainment.... snow shoeing, snow mobiles, epic stories and photos of previous guests.. ..

Our Northern Lights experience was the best.we could see them from our cabin. But we also hiked up a small hill aimed our gaze towards Denali moutain and watched the green ribbons of light dance and swirl... we all watched for a couple hours.. best new years eve ever...

Also the communication leading up to our stay was great..lots of emails and phone calls went back and forth.. I received prompt and informative responses to all of my questions ...big and small..:-)

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2015

The Caribou Lodge has made our top 5 list of all time! We travel the world in search of those extra special properties that make our trips memorable; one that greets you with excitement that you made the right choice....and bids you farewell with a yearning to return. As soon as the float plane landed and docked at Caribou, we knew that we hit the jackpot with a hidden gem.
In every direction, the view is breathtaking with unspoiled wilderness. Without roads or towns for miles, the silence is deep and welcoming. The cabins are perfect, facing the lake with beds that envelope you for deep, restful sleep. Joe and Bonnie are wonderful hosts, attentive to your every need. Joe took us on amazing hikes while Bonnie cooked up delicious meals. Howie deserves mention too! The resident dog who hung out with us on our deck and played frisbee with our son for hours.
Everything about Caribou exceeded our expectations! We will be back many times. Once you find such a special place, you have to return. Your soul demands it.

Room tip: All 3 cabins have decks and lake views
Date of stay: August 2015