All reviewsfloat planeblueberrieshighly recommend a visitfresh baked cookiesgreat homemaderemote wildernesscooked mealsgreat hikehome cookinghighlight of our tripspent two daysbath housethree nightsnorthern lightsliving roomjoetundra
Reviewed 25 July 2017

I couldn't think of a better way to end our Alaskan adventure that to spend the last two nights at the Caribou Lodge. Our trip began with a quick ride on a float plane from Talkeetna, which my kids loved. Once we arrived we were greeted by Zach, Alyssa and their two girls. Our family of five had a wonderful time going on hikes with Zach. He is a wealth of knowledge and was always prepared. Each day either on a hike or from the main lodge we saw not only caribou but bear. The kids also loved taking the kayaks out on the lake. They spent hours exploring. When we ran into a rain shower we spent our time in the main lodge at the table playing cards, Hobbit Monopoly, and putting together puzzles. Something that we never seem to be able to to do at home. The hospitality was top notch, with both Bonnie and Alyssa stocking the cookie jars with warm homemade cookies each day. Not the mention the family style meals that were not only delicious but plentiful. (Keeping up with three teenagers is tough business!) Alyssa was even kind enough to share her recipes with me. Overall it was a great trip and the perfect relaxation we needed.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Zac B, Owner at Caribou Lodge Alaska, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Thank you for the kind review. Your family is amazing, and it was great to see all the kids get along so well with each other. We were so glad to have you. With your knowledge of tundra hiking now perhaps you folks can create an "Alaska WOD" at your crossfit box (gym).
Please come back anytime!
Best regards.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

From the arrival to the good-bye after four days, this was a unique stay for us. Very friendly family-type service - unbelievably good meals on the family table. We have had a terrific three weeks in Alaska, traveling from Switzerland, but this was the highlight of our trip!
Zach and his family showed us their treasure in a uniquely personal way - we do wish you all good luck, may the new cabin soon be finished and be a happy home.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Zac B, Owner at Caribou Lodge Alaska, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

Thank you so much! It is always great to hear that little ol' Caribou Lodge is the highlight of someones Alaska adventure. We strive to make it that way so we are glad to know our hard work is paying off. I forgot to schedule that mama and baby moose sighting while we were out hiking so I am lucky they remembered to show up. It made for a perfect end to a nice day. You folks were such a pleasure to visit with, and we wish you all the best.
The cabin will be ready to move into in about 2 weeks. check out the updates on Facebook.
Cheers!!!!!

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

I'm not sure where to begin. I have put off writing this review for too long. Writing a review brings finality to THE most amazing and wonderful start to an Alaskan vacation I could have imagined!! If you are looking to "soak in" Alaska and recharge from your busy and hectic lifestyle, this is the place. Bonnie, Joe, and dog Howie (of course!) were excellent hosts! Although really, they did feel more like family than hosts. Their kindness and warmth have remained with us and are treasured. Bonnie is quite the chef and Joe is very skilled in the Alaskan outdoors. From the flavorful homemade foods, French-press coffee with biscotti, dining table conversations, hiking, gear, bandages for twisted ankles :-), kayaks, picnic lunch, pictures taken and shared, campfire stories, smore's, comfortable and immaculate accommodations, peace and solitude....I just cannot say enough complimentary things about our experience. A single mom and 12yr. old son on the trip of a lifetime. We made memories that will last forever. My only regret is booking just two nights. I really recommend 3 - minimum. Our stay at Caribou Lodge set the tone for the rest of our trip.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2016

I don't think I can adequately put into words how much my wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Caribou Lodge, but I'll try. Joe and Bonnie really love this place, and it shows in both how they maintain it, and how they treat their guests. They bend over backwards to make you feel welcome, and treat everyone like a member of the family. To illustrate what I mean, on the day we were scheduled to leave (a Sunday), we woke up to fog so thick we could not see the other side of the lake. It rained all day, and the clouds refused to lift. We were supposed to leave at 10 am, and catch a train to Anchorage at 2 pm. We were not able to leave until almost 7 pm that night. Thanks, by the way, to Alaska Bush Floatplane Service for the special pickup. We missed our train to Anchorage, and this would have ruined our plans for the next day's glacier hike we had planned, but Joe and Bonnie got ahold of Joe's sister who drove all the up from Anchorage to pick us up, and take us to our hotel. They litterally saved the rest of our trip, and for that, we are eternally grateful. One thing I will warn you about though, Bonnie will try to fatten you up with her fantastic meals. Don't worry though, Joe will be happy to help you work it off by taking you on as many hikes as you would like to go on. If you are into nature photography, there are spectacular lanscape views, an almost unlimited variety of plants, and abundant wildlife. We saw caribou, beaver, eagles, and osprey. And, if that's not enough, you can see Mts Denali, Hunter, and Foraker from their back yard. This will most likely be the highlight of your visit to Alaska. It certainly was ours.

Room Tip: Three cabins all look the same, and same view. I can't imagine one is better than the others.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

During our recent trip to Alaska, my husband and I wanted some sort of off the grid backcountry experience. After an extensive search I settled on the Caribou Lodge. We spent 3 wonderful nights at the Lodge and loved every minute.

You take a float plane in and out which is an exciting experience just on its own. Once you arrive, you are greeted by Joe, Bonnie and their dog Howie. They immediately make you feel like one of the family and are the nicest people we met in Alaska (which is saying a lot because Alaskans seem pretty nice in general).

The accommodations were exactly what we wanted - "just rustic enough". :) we had a one room cabin with a very comfortable bed. No electricity but you are provided a solar lantern if you need it - although we didn't see complete darkness while we were there. And a well working propane heater to take the chill off. There is also a shared shower room with sink. And two outhouses which actually were the most pleasant outhouses I've seen (lol). They are kept very clean, fully stocked and complete with good smelling candles. Trust me - don't miss out on this experience because you're freaked out by an outhouse. It's totally fine! The best part is the main cabin with plenty of comfortable couches, books, games, and coffee/tea and fresh baked cookies any time you want them.

Your hosts and all guests share meals in the main cabin. Bonnie is an amazing cook and also accommodated our dietary restrictions. Considering it's like cooking a separate meal we were very grateful. Meals were my favorite time of day because it was the perfect time to ask Joe and Bonnie all my questions about how they live and get things done and also about their family's long history with the lodge. I am in awe of their strength and abilities!

Activities range from the daily hike led by Joe (with wildlife spotting) to kayaking/canoeing, berry picking and hanging out with Howie. You can be as active or inactive as you want to be. You also have a picture perfect view of Denali from the top of Blueberry Hill - likely one of the better views you'll find.

Overall this was an amazing trip. We work in pretty stressful jobs and forgot what it was like to feel no anxiety and not touch a phone or computer for many days. It was the most relaxed I've felt in a long time. The owners were very easy to work with and even ended up shipping me stuff that I accidentally forgot to pack (not an easy feat from the Bush). Overall this was exactly the experience we were looking for.

We are so excited to return one day soon and bring our extended family with us. Hands down this was the highlight of our trip. Thanks so much!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple